LED Replacements Giving me a headache

So deciding to keep my 2016 Octavia SE Sport Estate for a little longer (stupidly high prices on used cars currently means i dont have much of an option🤣😂) so have started to change a few things to make it stand out a little and though about LED upgrades. All the interiors have been changed and now gives Blackpool a run for its money and thought id give the reverse lights the same treatment, however this is where the issue starts.

1st Set - Worked well for a week or two then started flickering so had to be replaced.

2nd Set - Super bright, cost a little more thought was higher cost better quality - Worked for about three days then suddenly started individually turning off and on randomly. Again had to be replaced as MOT was due today (All Passed no issues 🤩)

Has anyone managed to find some LED replacement bulbs that simply plug and play?

Looking just at the reverse lights at the moment, like the additional light they offer when reversing, espacially as the nights get longer for winter.

The Octavia has a very configurable lighting system which includes information on the type of bulb fitted in each place, currently that expects an incandescent bulb for the reversing lights but can easily be changed to expect an LED.

Most 'CAN ready' (or similarly named) LED bulbs fall foul of either the cold monitoring (bulb off) or hot monitoring (bulb energised) , so rather than a search for an LED bulb that passes both these tests it would be much easier to modify the bulb type setting using a diagnostic tool such as VCDS or OBDeleven or similar.

On top of what Dave above says, look at some decent quality bulbs like Osram. They do LED replacements for most bulbs, although pricy I've found cheaper eBay bulbs do not last or are just not the colour you want. That's not to say Osram will necessarily fool the canbus system but should last better. 

It is not the Canbus system causing errors, bulbs are universally misnamed Canbus compatible.

Canbus had been in cars for years without people even realising, over 12 years of owner repairs and maintenance I never discovered that my MK1 Octavia had some Canbus communications, as soon as people started farting around with LED bulbs for "the colour they want" and the manufacturers started mislabelling their products then the misinformation started.

But for LED bulbs and peoples desire to look different they would not even have heard of the term Canbus and from reading myriad threads like this it appears the majority of them have a completely wrong understanding of what it is.

• Like 1