Cam Belt for 1.5 TSI in East Kent

johnmb

My 2017 , octavia is due the New Cam Belt next month , its the 1.5 TSI engine , any recomendations where to get it done at an independent in East Kent area . One skoda garage quoted 0ver £900 and another £ 600 , will be having a service as well . Just coming up to 70K miles . Thanks  

@johnmb

Did you ask those doing the quoting of £600 & £900 if they wanted to go ask the Master Tech what they would be doing as one might well have been quoting with the Water Pump being replaced.

Not required. 

Be sure any Independent is familiar with doing a 1.5 TSI Cambelt. All the gear and more than idea.   You do not want to be the first that they have done.

Re your servicing.

What has been done in the past?

Spark Plugs replaced, pollen filter, air filter, brake fluid, was this at the recommended intervals, Miles or Year?

Your DSG does not require an Oil Change Service. 

Your Water Pump does not need replaced.

Last years prices probably for many main dealers that do Fixed Price Servicing & Maintenance.

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp

1221833257_Screenshot2020-10-03at13_19_19.jpg.c743b2191e0cb186e97d46c7df84c5cf.jpg

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well had the service done today at main dealer Skoda  71000 miles/5 Years , needed brake fluid change , MOT , Pollen Filter .

Was going to do the Cam Belt , but was told after arriving that as its the 1.5 Engine , they would have to do the Cam Belt another day , indicated they were getting the first few 5 Year old cars in on the  1.5 petrol type, and that the Job was taking them 6  to 7 Hours ,

They have  booked me in again with a free loan car over 2 days in a few weeks time .

Was advised that the going price for a normal , non 1.5 engine  is circa £550 , but on my model ie 1.5 engine 2017 facelift , they are trying to be realistic and quoted me £725 . 

So all you owners with a 1.5 Engine  , LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BEING QUOTED OR THOUGHT THE PRICE WOULD BE ,Thanks 

• Thanks 1

There are more posts and threads appearing in various forums.   It is like 'pick a number any number'.

http://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/1-5tsi-cambelt-change-dealer-pricing-indie-cant-do-it.405194

@johnmb

What you have been quoted is pretty much going to be the price.

Anyone quoted less at a main dealership needs to have whoever is quoting check again what the job actually entails with a 1.5 TSI ACT.

Try and get them to give the actual cost in writing if they say it is cheaper. 

@ApertureSMight be within travelling distance for you and able to quote to do the job. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/506921-octavia-mk3-timing-belt-costs

Screenshot 2022-11-10 06.42.40.png

Edited by roottoot

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

There are more posts and threads appearing in various forums.   It is like 'pick a number any number'.

http://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/1-5tsi-cambelt-change-dealer-pricing-indie-cant-do-it.405194

@johnmb

That you have been quoted is pretty much going to be the price.

Anyone quoted less at a main dealership needs to have whoever is quoting check again what the job actually entails with a 1.5 TSI ACT.

Try and get them to give the actual cost in writing if they say it is cheaper. 

@ApertureSMight be within travelling distance for you and able to quote to do the job. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/506921-octavia-mk3-timing-belt-costs

Screenshot 2022-11-10 06.42.40.png

I always appreciate a recommendation but sadly the tool to do this isn’t worth me investing in, required tool is the VAS611007 and costs over £1000… and that’s second hand!

If I was to invest in it, the amount of belts I would have to end up doing would be massive to pay for itself, either that or id end up charging more than the dealer.

the job itself is a bit of a pain too, requires water pump and housing to be removed, lots of additional bits in the way.

on the hole it’s not a terrible job, just a pain in the ass really with the additional costs.

Sadly can’t help with this one 😞

• Thanks 1

@ApertureS

It looks like there are going to be plenty of owners or those maybe buying a used 1.5 TSI ACT's over 5 years old trying to find anyone that can do the job for less than Main Dealers can.

It will be interesting to see how VW Group / Skoda UK deal with Dealerships that do not want to be doing customers cars, or even 1.5 TSI ACT Approved Used Cars with a FMDSH 

that have not had the timing belt changed.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.     Maybe not enough thought was given to the matter of servicing and maintenance 6 or 7 years back. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, johnmb said:

Was advised that the going price for a normal , non 1.5 engine  is circa £550 , but on my model ie 1.5 engine 2017 facelift , they are trying to be realistic and quoted me £725 . 

Intrigued why the 1.5ACT cambelt change would be so much more than a 1.4 non-ACT since they are both an EA211 engine?

Edited by PetrolDave

14 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Intrigued why the 15.5ACT cambelt change would be so much more than a 1.4 non-ACT since they are both an EA211 engine?

You need special tools which bolt in place of the water pump, these are there to set the timing within 0.1 of a degree of where it needs to be.

with active cylinder technology it needs to be very precise or you get all kinds of faults.

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

@ApertureS

It looks like there are going to be plenty of owners or those maybe buying a used 1.5 TSI ACT's over 5 years old trying to find anyone that can do the job for less than Main Dealers can.

It will be interesting to see how VW Group / Skoda UK deal with Dealerships that do not want to be doing customers cars, or even 1.5 TSI ACT Approved Used Cars with a FMDSH 

that have not had the timing belt changed.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.     Maybe not enough thought was given to the matter of servicing and maintenance 6 or 7 years back. 

You’re very correct, I’ll look into it in a bit more detail later today and just see what kind of price I’d charge if I did buy the tool.

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 2

As with DSG,s there might well be Main Dealerships putting jobs out to independents.   Ones that must then be Authorised repairers.    Not uncommon with Scotland's biggest dealership group.  Or even the 2nd or 3rd biggest. 

After their techs have messed up usually, but that is what can happen when they have all the gear and not much between the ears. 

Or just not the staff, the gear or the inclination. 

An example from an Independent.

https://www.pscautocentre.co.uk/products/audi-timing-belt-water-pump-replacement-petrol-engines-mqb-platform?variant=40099133685806

Edited by roottoot
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ApertureS said:

You need special tools which bolt in place of the water pump, these are there to set the timing within 0.1 of a degree of where it needs to be.

with active cylinder technology it needs to be very precise or you get all kinds of faults.

You’re very correct, I’ll look into it in a bit more detail later today and just see what kind of price I’d charge if I did buy the tool.

Apparently  , having been told yesterday by the Dealer its a 6 to 7 hour job  being the ACT engine, have done about 3 so far , and advised having problems costing the job , due the the amount of Time it takes , iam hoping that they would have gained a bit more experience before mine is done in december now ( Quoted £725 ) skoda dealer in Ashford Kent  

• Like 2

If they need to trained and get experience then that can not go on the hourly rate charged to customers.

But what ever the book time for the job is dealerships hourly rates will be going up and not down.

Parts are unlikely to be dropping in prices and there will be more customers being told about 'on back order'. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Car is booked in for the Cambelt 7/8 December , will post an update on actual cost and time they took and any other interesting comments , once it is completed 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, toot said:

@johnmbAny update?

The cambelt was completed in one day dropped off at 9 and picked it up at 1600, the all in price including vat was £729 , they had refilled coolant as well,had it done at Caffyns Ashford Kent .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...