Sudden braking for no reason

paddyr

On 17/10/2022 at 12:34, paddyr said:

Hi again, Karoqies. Can I add a little oddity, that I was told about. Perhaps folks on this forum can help. My karoq failed because of knackered battery. I called out the motor aid services. A top guy came out and sorted everything. He gave me a bit of advice by telling me to switch off the auto engine cut off, as it's a strain on engine, battery, crankshaft and the savings is miniscule...that's the second time, I've heard this tip..???

A batch of cars built late 2019 to mid 2020 may have had a dud battery fitted, or due to many cars stood for months battery went flat and this type of battery fails if left for some time flat. Affected all VW group cars.

Some will be worse than others as say a partially charging battery may not initially show any problems but never fully charge again.

My car battery would not charge significantly and went flat day 2 after delivery and after help from Aa and charging for 24 hours failed again on day 4. Replaced by Skoda and no issues since.

2 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

A batch of cars built late 2019 to mid 2020 may have had a dud battery fitted, or due to many cars stood for months battery went flat and this type of battery fails if left for some time flat. Affected all VW group cars.

Some will be worse than others as say a partially charging battery may not initially show any problems but never fully charge again.

My car battery would not charge significantly and went flat day 2 after delivery and after help from Aa and charging for 24 hours failed again on day 4. Replaced by Skoda and no issues since.

Hi Ken, was this a reference to the batch of Moll EFB batteries?

5 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi Ken, was this a reference to the batch of Moll EFB batteries?

Sorry, don’t know the batteries detail. AA guy who rescued me the second time back in Aug 20 said he was seeing this same problem over and over again on VW group recent cars, and it has been discussed on here before. Some cars lasted a year or more before a particular circumstance left their deficient battery flat as less affected

Ref the OP, I had a similar issue with the "Front Assist" in my Audi s4. The car was about 3 weeks old (back in 2020) the road was clear in front and behind on both sides, I was driving at about 30 MPH. Suddenly and for literally no apparent reason, the brakes went full on, ABS engaged, red flashing on the dash and a loud shrill beep to boot. Scared the bejeezus out of me. 

A quick bit of internet research, seems this is an issue that plenty of Audi drivers had reported. I guess the system is broadly similar across all VAG products. 

It happened again, this time there was a cyclist in the road but I was nowhere near him. I assume the car decided I hadn't seen him 🙄 A quick visit to the dealer who "re-set the cameras" and it never happened again. 

• Like 1

i am yet to collect my car next week. so not too sure but not new to this feature my previous car has this too. i too would advice you not to turn it off completly. maybe you can play around with the setting like choosing when you want a warning and how near you want a assisted braking to your liking that may be appropriate for your driving style.

On 15/10/2022 at 23:24, KenONeill said:

No it doesn't. The function would cause the vehicle that is driving 30 feet behind you at 70mph to brake when you do, so you don't get a Suburban Useless Vehicle slamming into your back.

i think not everyone has the same specs. Before i committed to purchase mine searched through videos on youtube and yes not all are the same some are add on options.

apperently i was told mine has. Even if someone is walk behind you it will still brake not just detecting another car.

Collecting my car next week, i will try it out and let you guys know.

On 18/10/2022 at 00:17, roottoot said:

Lots of Skoda and other VW group cars here, and other brands, anyone been rear ended yet with their car Auto braking?  

No Sir.

based on my current ride which i am trading in for the Karoq everytime this assisted brakes kicked in it was when i was much faster than the traffic around me and i switched lanes to over take but there is another vehicle cruising there, while i had enough time to overtake and come back into my original lane.

usually in such scenario there shouldnt be anyone too close behind you unless u r in some kind of speeding convoy.

another scenario (RHD)it happens when i am going to make a right turn at a junction and the car infront is going to make a u turn the front car speeds down the turning lane as if his gonna make a right turn too but suddenly brakes approaching the end of the divider before making a U turn(maybe its the driving pattern in my country) this assisted braking kicks in but still i am far from a crash. At this point i am like luckily no one was behind me specially a motorbike. So yes havent got rear ended. But seems like a possibility that it could happen

@Zoravar It is very much a possibility worldwide. 

Millions of cars with a system that for some is dodgy.   The Insurance Companies keep insuring them and the countries authorities are not acting against the car manufacturers.

All the social media / forums posts have achieved nothing.   Individuals will just need to disable the system if it can not be adjusted or made fit for purpose.

As with Lane Keep Assist or any other safety features that are in their opinion a hazard. 

13 hours ago, Zoravar said:

i am yet to collect my car next week. so not too sure but not new to this feature my previous car has this too. i too would advice you not to turn it off completly. maybe you can play around with the setting like choosing when you want a warning and how near you want a assisted braking to your liking that may be appropriate for your driving style.

I'm not sure it can be permanently switched off, but the sensitivity can be easily adjusted in the Infotainment system. I set mine to it's lowest setting and so far (about 900 miles in) I've no issues. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FinFerNan said:

I'm not sure it can be permanently switched off, but the sensitivity can be easily adjusted in the Infotainment system. I set mine to it's lowest setting and so far (about 900 miles in) I've no issues. 

i belive every electronic function should be able to be switched off. simple reason if there is a major malfunction, you are able to turn it off and not get strandard in the middle of no where

3 hours ago, FinFerNan said:

I'm not sure it can be permanently switched off,

1 hour ago, Zoravar said:

i belive every electronic function should be able to be switched off.

But you can switch it off, it's just that on the latest cars ( here in the EU anyway ) legislation is such that you have to switch it off each time you start the car - i.e as FinFerNan says, not permanently.

Not sure I've ever read of anyone being left stranded because the collision warning system has failed. I stand to be corrected tho.

I don't get why would anyone want to 'permanently' switch off a safety system - just like I don't get when 57 tory MPs resigned because Boris Johnson was PM, why anyone would then consider him as a future PM? It's unjustifiable.

3 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

But you can switch it off, it's just that on the latest cars ( here in the EU anyway ) legislation is such that you have to switch it off each time you start the car - i.e as FinFerNan says, not permanently.

Not sure I've ever read of anyone being left stranded because the collision warning system has failed. I stand to be corrected tho.

I don't get why would anyone want to 'permanently' switch off a safety system - just like I don't get when 57 tory MPs resigned because Boris Johnson was PM, why anyone would then consider him as a future PM? It's unjustifiable.

So if you cant turn it off permanently it obviously means you are encouraged to keep it on :) i too believe in tech but there should be alternatives and not become slaves to it.

its all to hard to imagine any particular scenario that may cause the car to not move. however i been a victim of electronic failure before. not limited to my scenario but anything could happen.

on my previous ride i had a situation pushed the start button car started. attemped to shift lever into D wldn't move down stuck in P. realised PRND +/-  are not lite which meant some kind of power delivery failure to the shifter. Now i couidnt do anything about it so wanted to turn off engine guess what, i cant cause the system loss communication with the shifter and doesnt detect it in P and i am not able to turn off the engine. Car was towed to dealership engine running. i wish there was an alternative to shift into D or to off the engine which could overwrite the stop button.

like originally posted issue in this thread, it could be worse once the car e brake and comes to a complete stop, and moves a liltte again and e brakes immeditely or doesnt move again .....guess turning off some sensors will enable the car to be driven back like a car without technology would. and in worst case strandard in some rural area with no network coverage and maybe now one passing by that area in extreme heat or winter could be dangerous(depending on which part of the world you are in).

@ZoravarStuff breaks, like your car did.  If you do nor want complex cars maybe buy a DACIA.

Not towing automatics but putting on a trailer or flatbed or drive wheels on a dolly has been common for decades now, or removing prop shafts,

but recovery drivers know that, or should.

As to e-Brakes.

There are Police Reality shows, i often see the repeat of the officers trying to move a car by pushing and the e-brake staying on.

Closing the drivers door might have been a good idea and seeing how they got on. 

There is no Legislation in the EU that cars currently type approved have the system from the factory or active when the car is turned on. 

'Autohold' & e-brakes are different.

Autohold acts front and rear,  the e-Brake is a Parking Brake, rear brakes. 

'Autohold' is able to be activated or switched off. 

Edited by roottoot

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

@ZoravarStuff breaks, like your car did.  If you do nor want complex cars maybe buy a DACIA.

Not towing automatics but putting on a trailer or flatbed or drive wheels on a dolly has been common for decades now, or removing prop shafts,

but recovery drivers know that, or should.

As to e-Brakes.

There are Police Reality shows, i often see the repeat of the officers trying to move a car by pushing and the e-brake staying on.

Closing the drivers door might have been a good idea and seeing how they got on. 

There is no Legislation in the EU that cars currently type approved have the system from the factory or active when the car is turned on. 

'Autohold' & e-brakes are different.

Autohold acts front and rear,  the e-Brake is a Parking Brake, rear brakes. 

'Autohold' is able to be activated or switched off. 

ops when i said e-brakes i meant emergency brakes applied by the system not the parking brakes that are now operated with a button. appologies for causing some confusion here.

DACIA something new i learnt today. dont think it exsist anywhere in asia. had a quick look on their site seems like not too different from the modern cars today having all these tech features.

guess all is good if there are options to turn off for those prefer not to use them and for basic driving functions like gear stick, start/off button and the parking brake buttons as long as there is a way to overwirte them.

• 3 weeks later...

been driving my karoq for abt 10 days now. encountered while on ACC mode when other cars cut in too close infront of me and the car warns and brakes but no ABS sound though maybe its just the ACC slowing down.