2019 Mk3 Sudden High Idle Problem

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

If there are benefits to be had and felt wouldn't it be more from the additional cleaning effects rather than octane, would the computers be evening out octane.  I thought I'd read (on here) that the (earlier at least) Fabias like the ethanol in petrol.

I've not followed the GPF as my last car was 49 years old and I wouldn't want my next car to be too much younger, 90s perhaps at a push, but would the GDF not also benefit, as well as the engine in general from 'cleaner' (my description only) petrol or are the particles the same?

As I put I'm unable to experiment with my wife's Fabia.

21 hours ago, nta16 said:

I've no idea how those that only use cars for city or very local journeys are going to fair let alone in the future those that use old cars to fulfill the modern obsession for everything to be delivered even very locally are going to get it done.  My wife's 2015 Fabia some days only does journeys of less than a few miles and I don't get to give it any blow-out runs I don't know how the 2019 model would cope with that overall.

She only runs it on various supermarkets' E10, well normally, even she has put some V-Power in when near or passing the station that had it at such good price (you hope it's genuine!) but not enough or repeated to be of any real advantage.  Once I got her to put in a (7/8ths) fill up (Esso Supreme) with the intention of me being able to do a few blow-out runs but it didn't happen as I didn't need the car.

Probably start seeing more of it soon i guess. 
If my 60 mile blip up the motorway and back the other day really has cleared the problem then the 200 mile lincolnshire trips i do say 3 times a year most of been enough. Its pretty much all motorway until i get to near Grantham on the A1 then take the back roads to Sleaford.
Car always sounds much smoother and usually can't hear the engine running when i stop to park up. All being well will be doing that journey middle of next month.
I'm doing 18 miles a day through the week on the work run. Its all country B roads with a about 5 mile 50mph section. its like a 20/25min journey with a clear run, i can get home in 15mins if the roads are empty. Obviously not enough run time at higher speeds.
I can get on the motorway but its the M27 and its crap where i am so never use it on the work run. 
I'll just have to work the engine a bit harder to try and get the exhaust temps up and go and visit the family more often!

20 hours ago, roottoot said:

Stuff the detergents, enjoy the higher octane and if seat of the pants the car feels no better do not spend the extra £2.50- £3 a tank full.

1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8.jpg

Good info there, cheers.
When I'm next filling up I'll try some good stuff in there, probably next month now. I would of done this time but pumps were dry on the 97.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gonzini said:

I'm doing 18 miles a day through the week on the work run. Its all country B roads with a about 5 mile 50mph section. its like a 20/25min journey with a clear run, i can get home in 15mins if the roads are empty. Obviously not enough run time at higher speeds.

The long clear motorway runs will be good (depending on the overall gearing of the car) but your regular run when clear could also be used to clear the car and have a bit of fun (not stupid driving of course) it's also about the revs and acceleration, have a good volume of air being sucked in and more fuel being pushed through, that can be done at lower speeds than motorway boring cruising.  I think cars that with a steering wheel, manual gearbox, brakes, suspension and good tyres should sometimes be driven on B-roads in a way that will exercise them and a small car (and it doesn't need to be a GTi type) can be more fun on these roads than a larger wide-bottomed  quicker/faster car.

It does wear the engine and car more at those times but it's good to stretch (and test check) the car (when/where safe and OK to do so).  The engine's just a big air pump anyway, which also brings me to my other saying, GIGO for computers but its SISO for cars, especially diesel but now also perhaps also more modern petrols.  This means having the air filter and induction clean, regular, timely, thorough (possibly only possible if DIY) engine oil and filter changes.  I also favor keeping on top of the plugs and cleaning MAF and throttle body when required.

Doesn't the Owner's Manual have anything about warming the car up then driving it to clear it out, I thought it had info about short journeys effects (and on the battery), IIRC the Mk1(?) and 2(?) Driver's Handbooks had loads about economical driving, even down to electric use effect on alternator and mpg.

As I put I think it takes a couple of tankfulls, not top-ups of the fuels with higher cleaning additives (and octane) to perhaps see (feel) any benefits.  For the diesel lot, and perhaps your car but I know even less about GPF, I think a couple of tankfulls before/during MoT and before/after a service might (no printed evidence to give) be helpful.

My wife used to say her car felt better after I had used it and we both have felt that the Fabia goes better after it has been serviced.

Be interesting to see how you get on, good luck.

Edited by nta16
  • Like 1

Really all the cars need are engine oil up to temp so that might be over 10 miles driving before stopping and parking.   And regularly.   And with spark plugs nice and hot and clear of oil or carbon build up, s ok sometimes more than just a few miles a day week after week.     This will apply to GPF,s. Cars which are plug in hybrids and many more.  Even city cars since euro 4 are not for city / ok occasional use.    

Yes we're old so know about things like warming the engine and not to just go by the coolant temp gauge, good to have an oil temperature not something you saw on older cars much.

I must remember to check this winter but away from the frozen North the oil temp gets up to the 80 and 90+ quicker than I expected with just normal driving.

I think the 10k-miles/12-months engine oil & filter change might be too far apart for low mileage and the old "serve" driving conditions use if the car is to be kept for a good number of years.  I think I might go back to the 6-monthly changes but that would require me to be motivated to do so which is very difficult as its farting about with cars which I loathe and brings me no joy or satisfaction.  I'm not so bad with other people's cars, I cleaned the outside of my neighbours car ('waterless' was 'n' wax) the other day but that didn't take long as I gave it a proper go last month prior to its MoT, might not need doing again until spring if I'm lucky.

• 1 year later...