Lifting a Yeti ... but by how much ?

Gregr46uk

Hi All , you've probably heard this a thousand times so please bear with me , I want to "lift" my stock 1.2 Yeti ( non 4x4 ) and seen plenty of lift kits ( Darkside etc ) starting about 20mm ... is this the maximum lift you can sensibly go before having CV drive shaft, camber issues etc . 

Am looking to firm up the suspension too , not much just a little .... odviously cries of "HELPpppp" comes next 😂 .... I will be replacing the alloys with 16" steels and taller 50/50 split tyres . 

Its going to be used mostly as a van / mini-camper etc ... so any other ideas covered please feel free to post . 

Thanks in advance 

Greg 

ps selling mine and buying an outdoor 4x4 is not an option , as needing to stay petrol 😟

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Joey83 said:

A Yeti with a 60mm lift? That I want to see! :)

In the new year for sure! 

I’ve done the maths and another 30mm lift will take the body just over the wheel centres. With minimal work on the wheel arches, I reckon I’ll be able to run 245/70 tyres on my 17s 👍🏽. I’ll push the width with wheel spacers. 

im currently running Cooper ATTs 225/55 which are great. 

7 hours ago, Joey83 said:

Can't you use lower offset wheels instead of spacers? 

Of course I can - huge price difference in a set of wheels vs spacers. But yeah, that’s a long term plan. 16s with fatter tyres eventually. 

• 6 months later...
On 29/11/2022 at 21:07, Bris_Yeti said:

improved handling on road and off-road.

I’m going for another 30mm soon with the spacers/levelling kit. 

Just think how much better your on road handling will be with 60mm! 🙄

A couple of bags of cement in the roof box will make it handle like a Formula 1 car!

Your rear bump stops are deteriorated and turning to dust but they would not do any good now as the vehicle will become coilbound before they could have any affect, a serious safety issue and should be addressed, you may be able to fit new ones together with 60mm cut down sections of the old ones.

It takes me back to fitting Jack-Up bars to the rear spring hangers of my MK2 Tincorner and then finding that both rear shock absorbers had sheared off at the top with the suspension on full rebound when I was trying to emulate the Dukes of Hazzard, - YEEHAAAH!

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

The dampers have 40mm extenders and I have new bump stops and sleeves to go on. I won’t be jumping the car, just seeking footprint and clearance for sand driving. 

Above was before the lifting spacers. This is about the maximum driving I do. 

In the photo of the tyre mocked up in the wheelarch it is deplaced to the rear significantly , how are you going to go about increasing the wheelbase?

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

In the photo of the tyre mocked up in the wheelarch it is deplaced to the rear significantly , how are you going to go about increasing the wheelbase?

it’s just a mock up at this stage. I’ll mount the tyre on a rim and take a proper look. From the test it looks like I’ll need to cut out the forward wheel liner/inner wall.  More pics to follow. I might start a separate thread/post. Seems I’m hijacking this one   

I think you might be OK, I was looking at mine today as the ride height looks quite similar to your 60mm lift despite it being standard "Offroad" trim suspension (it was slightly lower), my wheel was centred in the arch & then it dawned on me that you took the photo with the vehicle jacked up, the trailing arm will moving through its arc will have moved the hub forwards.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...