Retrofit SD Card slots in glovebox?

RallySimon

Does anyone know if you can you get the plate with the SD card slots and retrofit it in the glovebox? Is the wiring likely to still be in place to connect it and would it need 'activating' or should it just work once plugged in?

I'm considering a move from my current 2017 Yeti (where all my music is on an SD card and works fine), to a 2021 Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI 4x4, and it just has a blanking plate in the glove box where the SD slots should be.

I know there are USB slots now, but all these small USB sticks seem to get so hot when left plugged in (fire risk?), and I'd rather keep the USB slots for charging things like the phone (and its a faff having to copy everything over to a memory stick when its already on an SD card).

Also just thinking, one of the SD cards in my Yeti has the maps for the Sat Nav on it - where does the Karoq read the maps from if there are no SD slots?

Reading a lot of the other threads on here, if I do change cars, I shall also be needing a crash course on this OBD11 or VCDS stuff as well, as I'm not keen on the sound of some of these 'driver aids' like the automatic braking and lane changing - I know there are mixed feelings on things like this, but I'd rather still be fully in control of my car and responsible for anything that happens while I'm behind the wheel!

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Cheers,

Assuming the 2021 Sportline has the same Bolero Satnav that mine has, the maps are updated through the online data connection and stored internally. 

Some people have succeeded in updating them via a USB-C port, but after some initial concerns I've never found the need as mine are updating quite happily every month or so. (Note you need to have a live Skoda Connect subscription to get the updates though.)

I've ever had any problems storing my music on a tiny USB-C chip, ad leave it plugged in under the sliding phone socket all the time. It's one of these which can be plugged into a PC to add music files, then plugged into the car:

MyMemory 256GB Dual USB-C & USB 3.1 Flash Drive - 200MB/s £38.98 - Free Delivery | MyMemory

Chris

SDHC Cards Contents - Sep 2017.docSDHC Cards Contents - Sep 2017.doc

I had a Yeti for 11 years, with 10 SD cards supplying (my choice of) music through the Bolero system. 

Occasionally I'd have to change the card but overall it coped well & was easy to operate, maintain & (when necessary) update.

The enclosed list indicates the eclectic nature of my tastes in music, and the system served me well. The numbers in brackets indicate how many albums by that artist are on the card.

When I was looking to change the car, decided on the Karoq, and discovered that the 2023 model no longer had SD card capability I looked around at alternatives and came up with a flash drive in the usb slot behind the gear lever.

By adding a right-angled adaptor I am able to leave the flash drive plugged in and close the sliding cover.

This did mean, of course, copying all the music from the sd cards to the stick, but the stick holds the contents of all 10 sd cards, with room for more if I ever get round to copying any further 'gems' from my music library. 

I have everything in .mp3 format - I did consider .flac and/or others but figured that as good & quiet as the car is its interior cannot replicate the acoustic environment of a concert hall, and I find .mp3 to be acceptable.

In addition, of course, .mp3 does not require as much disc space as .flac.

These links show what I'm using:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B18VS8QP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EZ0X55C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this is the result:-

1935732035_USBC3FlashDrive.thumb.jpg.fec04c24667e819660a67b0938d9f6c3.jpg

1935732035_USBC3FlashDrive.thumb.jpg.fec04c24667e819660a67b0938d9f6c3.jpg

USB C + 3 Flash Drive.jpg

Edited by IanPerry316

On 17/11/2022 at 00:41, RallySimon said:

Does anyone know if you can you get the plate with the SD card slots and retrofit it in the glovebox? Is the wiring likely to still be in place to connect it and would it need 'activating' or should it just work once plugged in?

I'm considering a move from my current 2017 Yeti (where all my music is on an SD card and works fine), to a 2021 Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI 4x4, and it just has a blanking plate in the glove box where the SD slots should be.

I know there are USB slots now, but all these small USB sticks seem to get so hot when left plugged in (fire risk?), and I'd rather keep the USB slots for charging things like the phone (and its a faff having to copy everything over to a memory stick when its already on an SD card).

Also just thinking, one of the SD cards in my Yeti has the maps for the Sat Nav on it - where does the Karoq read the maps from if there are no SD slots?

Reading a lot of the other threads on here, if I do change cars, I shall also be needing a crash course on this OBD11 or VCDS stuff as well, as I'm not keen on the sound of some of these 'driver aids' like the automatic braking and lane changing - I know there are mixed feelings on things like this, but I'd rather still be fully in control of my car and responsible for anything that happens while I'm behind the wheel!

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Cheers,

In short, my advice would be to buy a 2019 Karoq ( or very early 2020 ) which has SD slots and no default lane changing.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

My aug 20 Karoq has sd slots.

It also has automated braking which has worked in anger once, probably stopping a bump for me. I believe you can alter the sensitivity but I have not done so, still on original default.
I use the auto lane guidance quite a bit now after initial distrust, just a useful guide and warning if you leave a lane whilst not indicating to do so. It doesn’t stop you if you continue to steer across the line anyway. It is either on or off as set by the driver so can be off permanently.