30 MPG on 2.0 TDI. What could be wrong? (Long)

On 16/12/2022 at 18:20, Brianjuk said:

Scores so to speak.

I have officially rejected the car today:

it is still using 1.35l per 1000miles of oil

there is a suspension creak (I suspect front arb)

the battery has died

and it is giving every indication that the dpf is rapidly clogging up again. 

let’s see if the dealer honours their word. I hope so…. If they do I will not name and shame. 

if anyone knows of a good Octavia or superb estate for sale as follows, please let me know: 

must have:

ULEZ compliant. 
1.4tsi or 2.0tdi

heated leather 

acc

Apple CarPlay

heated front screen

Much prefer:

beige leather

panoramic roof

park pilot

DCC suspension 

Limit is £15k

Wow: That's quite a big spec list...  IIRC There aren't even that many models which were spec'd with the Trio of Pano roof,  beige interior, and DCC suspension, let alone all for 15K.

The L&K on both cars comes with a lot of those toys, you'll also find 'em on some of the more lavishly spec'd SE L models.

As a compromise, I guess that some of the important questions are...

1) Which (Much prefer) option(s) are you most willing to give up if needs must?

2) Do you have a compromise on the mileage, or are you not to fussed about high (as in 100K plus) mileage, so long as the service history is comprehensive and correct?

3) DSG or manual?

18 hours ago, GordoGT said:

Wow: That's quite a big spec list...  IIRC There aren't even that many models which were spec'd with the Trio of Pano roof,  beige interior, and DCC suspension, let alone all for 15K.

The L&K on both cars comes with a lot of those toys, you'll also find 'em on some of the more lavishly spec'd SE L models.

2) Do you have a compromise on the mileage, or are you not to fussed about high (as in 100K plus) mileage, so long as the service history is comprehensive and correct?

3) DSG or manual?

18 hours ago, GordoGT said:

3) DSG or manual?

I am not fussed on mileage so long as it has good history. I’d much prefer DSG to manual, realistically it’s a high spec se-l or and L&K

ive split out the needs from the nice to haves. I’m my list. The needs are Apple CarPlay, heated leather, acc.

• Like 2

I have seen a superb 190 dsg l&k in my price range but it’s a private sale. All checks out well and has 113k, full history, 2dsg services and a cambelt. 
I’d there any way of identifying the sort of issues I’ve had BEFORE I buy it this time…😂 (if I go for it, it’s overpriced at present so I need to haggle)

Just checking in on this

On 24/12/2022 at 21:48, Brianjuk said:

I have seen a superb 190 dsg l&k in my price range but it’s a private sale. All checks out well and has 113k, full history, 2dsg services and a cambelt. 
I’d there any way of identifying the sort of issues I’ve had BEFORE I buy it this time…😂 (if I go for it, it’s overpriced at present so I need to haggle)

What  I've written below is probably academic now, as you've either bought it, or passed on it, but in answer to your question I guess I would check to see what MPG it can achieve on a run,

plus what the Long -Term MPG shows...

After the last experience I'd also be keen to team up with one of the VCDS partners on this Forum's list and ask them kindly whether they're willing to come with you to check the DPF stats

(for a sum of money for their time, fuel and inconvenience, of course).

Might seem a little excessive, but I wouldn't want the same to happen again.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2022 at 09:07, GordoGT said:

Just checking in on this

After the last experience I'd also be keen to team up with one of the VCDS partners on this Forum's list and ask them kindly whether they're willing to come with you to check the DPF stats

What stats should I be particularly concerned with. I have a code reader that will access the dpf data effectively.

I assume spot load, distance since last regen, and ash load. Anything else? 

Edited by Brianjuk

To draw a line under this. I have today had the car collected and a full refund of the purchase price. A positive shout-out to Silverline Motors of Ashton-in-Makerfield, near Wigan. 

now to find a replacement…

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

Hi all, hope this story maybe of use?,

I’ve recently had the same kind of issues with my 2017 L&K Superb 2.0tdi.

Pre service getting 67mpg (half tank of diesel) and good performance since bought from Skoda Sheffield Oct 20 till Sept 2022 👍 Then had a local garage carry out service with water pump and timing belt late Sept which started myself noticing mpg decreasing 58-60mpg until end of Nov2022 it got as bad as 43mpg on a long trip (Moray to Glasgow tank and a half later with sluggish performance) with a liking to 2-3sec hesitancy (almost limp mode)

Took advice from very knowledgeable and kind members in this forum to seek a second opinion and I contact Victoria Garage (Skoda) Maud 45miles away, any hoo! they tested, road tested scratched their heads and then diagnostics found the engine running cool🤒 and by chance noticing invoice for TB&WP checked out water pump fitted was wrong for my car ( Graf mechanical -non shroud).

Up-shot of it all, Victoria Garage were amazing 🫡. They had it replaced with electrical pump with impeller shroud and DPF forced regeneration as clog due to fuel not being burnt off properly.

I am glad to confirm 🥳 MPG is now back to normal 67.8 at one point, but at least 63ish mpg.
Sorry for the long winded rant, but it’s sometimes handy to get an insight into the circumstances. Paint a picture in way 🤞

Once again BIG shout out to VICTORIA GARAGE (SKODA) MAUD and to the members here point in their direction 🫶🏻

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NanoNeo said:

diagnostics found the engine running cool🤒 and by chance noticing invoice for TB&WP checked out water pump fitted was wrong for my car ( Graf mechanical -non shroud).

The only difference that would make is a faster warm up, it would not affect the engines operating temperature other than taking longer to get there, driving about an extra 2 miles (based on my observations) with a cooler engine so worse fuel economy on very short journeys.

Many fit the non sleeved water pump to guard against future failures.

It's more likely that your new garage correctly timed the camshafts when replacing the water pump which the previous garage didn't during the cam belt change.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The only difference that would make is a faster warm up, it would not affect the engines operating temperature other than taking longer to get there, driving about an extra 2 miles (based on my observations) with a cooler engine so worse fuel economy on very short journeys.

Many fit the non sleeved water pump to guard against future failures.

It's more likely that your new garage correctly timed the camshafts when replacing the water pump which the previous garage didn't during the cam belt change.

Hi J.R,

RANT WARNING ⚠️ 

Yeah 🤔 you’ve kinda voiced what the original garage tried to say about heat up time (saying their diagnostic found the problem ‘cylinder 3 plug error’ with full replacement of all glow plugs and reassuring me that this will make massive difference to your fuel consumption - £250+ lighter and no difference Just shy of £1000 for timing belt and water pump, to which I wish I’d left well enough alone as has no issues with car and it’s running 67mpg [70.1mpg achieved a at one point])

The day I drove over 40miles and 75mins travelling to Victoria Garage (Skoda) Maud (43mpg) and tech said on road test with diagnostic was still running slightly lower than normal temperature (engine tricked into thinking it was still cold start running), then with physical check of belt and pump for workmanship (quoting very good considering) tech also said it’s all to do with how the car’s set up - ecu configuration, emissions electromechanical pump 

Sorry the only work Victoria Garage (Skoda) carried out was removing previously fitted mechanical pump for the correct electromechanical pump with shroud, coolant redo with bleeding, VHC and road test.

The saving grace of this outcome for me!  “it’s been resolve” 

How I see it “ I’m now very happy getting, a very respectable mpg of 63>67 on a 1 hour journey 🥳 bonus 🫡

The timing belt will have been removed in order to replace the water pump and the cams retimed on refitting.

34 minutes ago, NanoNeo said:

full replacement of all glow plugs and reassuring me that this will make massive difference to your fuel consumption

What are you complaining about, they did make a massive difference to your fuel consumption, if you were already getting 67mpg it could only move massively in one direction 😆

I didn't see any ranting I'm pleased to say 👍

• Thanks 1