DPF Oil Ash and Soot Level Advice

Hello folks.

Just looking for general advice on the oil ash and soot levels in the DPF on my Octavia VRS TDI.

It's got 57k miles on the clock as of writing. I usually do commutes to work around every weekend and some mid week lasting around half an hour, mostly on the motorway. Attached a screenshot of the obdeleven live data readout taken a few days ago.

So far no troubles, touch wood, metal, tarmac and any other materials. At what point do I need to start worrying about needing a replacement DPF or clean? 

Many thanks. 

Screenshot_20221118-164800_OBDeleven.png

That just needs either a long ride with the revs up high, but if that doesn't drop the soot, then you need to perform a static regen process to clean down the soot.

At this early stage in it's life, it should need any cleaning products, but later on it might, like much later down the line.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information.

Normally the commute is long enough to drop the soot from what monitoring I have done with the VagDPF app (And I could always go out for a long leisure drive to clean it up if I need to). I was more concerned about the ash level and wanted to check if the current level is normal or not.

My own experience: 123000 miles, oil ash 39/80g. Most of time sitting in traffic, regeneration is usually starting when I reach 23g soot calculated or measures. I never interrupted a regeneration ( only takes 15 minutes in my case). Everything is working fine. Also one in four times I refill with premium diesel (shell or esso), never used additives

They oil ash levels are only a calculation from an algorithm anyway, they could be much better or much worse in reality.

I am encouraged to see measured soot levels being less than calculated, that to me is a sign of a healthy DPF, the couple of threads running at present where people have blocked DPF's and are suffering constant regens both have measured soot levels significantly higher than the calculated ones.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...