Next best engine Skoda to get after 1.6 FSI

Unfortunately my beloved Skoda estate L&K 1.6 FSI 06 was in an accident. Everyone is safe and no one hurt. However the car is deemed uneconomical to repair. Still road worthy but looks like I need to buy a newer car at some point. 

I am thinking to stick with the Octavia Estate as it fits our needs and the spacious boot has always been fantastic. 

I need advice on what are the most reliable engines that came after the FSI? 

I know some Skoda driver were not keen on the FSI as it wasn’t powerful but my car has been ultra reliable and the power has been just enough for my day to day needs. 

So what should I be looking at next? 
TSI or TFSI , I have not done much research but starting to. I think the later engines are all belts and not chain. 

Thanks

I guess it comes down to your budget and what age of car you're looking at?

The TSI engines came in with the facelift.

All the TSI engines of this era are chain driven.

I can highly recommend the 1.4 TSI. It runs very nice and smooth at idle to the point where it's hardly noticeable the engine is running sometimes. Pulls really well from low down without having to rev it. Will really shift if you get your foot down and still returns food economy.

I think you'd really like it over the 1.6 FSI. I've driven an FSI before and didn't find it a nice engine I must say.

• Like 1

Thanks both for the recommendation. 

My current 1.6FSI L&K has been reliable even though it is not the smoothest engine especial when idle. 

It has been adequate for my family needs, town driving and long  motorway journey. At times I wished it had a bit more power but it has been ok. 

I have appreciated the rear parking sensors and cruise control on the FSI and the wife likes the heated seats. So a must is at least rear parking sensors and cruise control. 

Town mpg can be anything from 25mpg to 33mpg, with motorway around 42mpg to 49mpg. 

It sounds like the 1.4tsi could be a good replacement. 

I do plan on going for the mk3 and budget wise not sure but at least £5k, all depends what’s available at the time. 

Btw is the 1.4tsi chain or belt? Any pros or cons to either? 

Also what is the tfsi, is that the same engine with a turbo or not  ? 

Hi, Mk3 (EA211) 1.4 TSI are belt-driven cams. The older TFSI was the Twincharger, which had some serious issues with high oil consumption.

A point to note, Audi still badge their TSI engines as TFSI.