Company car driver

skoda2019

Just after some info from company car drivers.

Our company is offering the Enyaq  as an option.

i certainly want one. But  the sticking point is  the pence per mile we get reimbursed currently 8ppm.

No way that covers what it actually costs.

They want us to pay for all charging, home and away. Then they check the mileage and pay us back at 8ppm.

Just wondering how other company car drivers pay for an all electric car?

I’ve driven 15k miles in my iv60 the past 12 months.

that would’ve paid me £1200

i have spend 1800kwh @ 5p/kWh for charging at home, rest have been on the road using PowerPass, so roughly 30p/kwh

to drive 15k miles, I’d drive roughly 3.2m pr/kwh

1800 x 3,2 = 5760

15000-5760 = 9240m

9240 / 3.2 = 2888

2888 x 0,30 = £866

1800 x 0.05 = £90

ive bought a new set of tyres to the cost of £680

insurance with business miles £425

a pair of windscreen wipers was £44

So in total, I’ve had costs for £2105 which would give me a loss of £905.

You would then add the bik on top of that - but you’d have to compare with the cost if you owned it yourself:

pcp 450/month = £5400/year, that would be £7505/year

youd then be paid up to 45p/mile, which would equal £6750

You’d be out of pocket no matter what by the looks of it

Numbers may vary for you

• Like 1

@skoda2019

Which area of the UK are you in and where are you travelling to?     ie, what charger network available.

So are you going to have a home charger that gets you electricity for under 10 pence a kWh or will you have a standard tariff of 30 pence or more a kWh.

50 x 10 pence £5.00

50 X 30 pence £15.00      50 kWh times 3.5 miles = 175 miles.   (4 miles a kWh then 200 miles.)

If you are paying 50 pence a kWh then £25.00

69 pence = £34.50 

£1.00 a kWh for 50 kWh of electricity being £50 to maybe get 200 miles or less.     Costs less to business users but just a silly amount of money for a private user.

8 hours ago, Stripy said:

Numbers may vary for you

They certainly might...!

We pay 15p/kwh on Economy 7 night rate to charge ours  ( OFGEM has been kidded that Chester is the most expensive city in the UK to supply...🤣)

Our offer from Octopus Go is 12 p/kwh.

Your 5p/kwh I'm guessing isn't available to anyone currently looking for a tariff to charge their EV...?

And some of the night time periods are so short ( 4 hours), it is difficult to take advantage of the night rate to do other household tasks.

Then there is the increased day rate ( over a single rate tariff) to consider.

When the current Energy Price Guarantee ends if there is no subsidy of the night rate then the viability of EV's is further reduced.

If I was choosing a car today it would be a petrol Kodiak, not an Enyaq........😧

Thanks for the in depth replies.

It's going to be the 60kw  skoda.

covering arount 20k a year based in the nothwest.

My electric is currently 37 p/kwh

Looked at the utility companies, seems they aren't offering low EV rates to new customer, to add to that some aren't even accepting new customers.

Our company has added 3k extra pack to the 60kw Enyaq, to encourage us to move to electricwe said they would have been better putting that towards the 80kw model.

it's a 4 yr lease, used to be 3years.

Looks like i will be sticking to the new Octavia diesel .

And waiting for the world to calm down.

Also noticed as Phil245 says, that some night time discounts only last for 4hours.

We're adding more cars and chargers as quickly as we can, and you've just added another vote for your make and model.

• You do not have a smart meter / you're smart meter isn't eligible
  • You do not have a compatible car or charger

Edited by skoda2019

40 pence a kWh charging costs for a business user or even a private user is as good or better cost wise than running a petrol or diesel getting 45 mpg.   Then there are the other benefits and savings. Parking possible, and tax benefits.     Ps. I have driven over 38,000 miles for under £200 using Charge Place Scotland Chargers and other free charging. That includes £40  for 2 CPS cards.   That ends really from January for me as Perth and Kinross start a tariff.       Doing it as I do to see how little I can pay can be hard work, but then I have all the time and little money.   Location location location matters .

Edited by toot

Wow toot, thats amazing.    I have been talking to some luck people at charging points as i am driving around.  There are a couple of fast free chargers on the main cost road in wales, the person driving  a huge audi, said she hasn't paid for any electric since she got it this january.

But the people that do that know it's not going to last.

They have put some free ones on a retail park near me, just a bit too far to walk and leave the car, but some people do leave it to charge up and go back later, takes hours as it's only a slow charger.

But worth the effort as they only plod round locally so a full charge will last a while.

Not pratical for the  mileage i do

Currently the company pays for all the diesel.   We would have to pay for the electric with a return of 8p per mile, just wondering how other company car drivers pay for it?  They all can't be driving round loosing money?

Edited by skoda2019
  • Like 1

PodPod at Tesco is now 28 pence a kWh on a 7kW AC so that has stopped many that parked up for hours.  40 pence on a 22 kW and 50 pence on a 50 kW.      At Lidl now 40 where I go for a 50 kW for Edinburgh airport quick charge as the airport is  35 pence but 30 min limit and chargers unreliable.  That is brand new BP ones.     A charger I used weekly after 3 hours of a trip with a park and ride free charging to top up on the way after 70 miles has been out of order for 6 weeks.  That is a real PITA.  Especially when alternatives are also out of order or blocked by the ignorant. 

Edited by toot

Unit rate (23:30 - 05:30):

10.00p/ kWh

Unit rate (05:30 - 23:30):

44.28p/ kWh

Standing Charge:

47.04p/ day

Prices include VAT.

and seems they are accepting new customers now.

Just checked again but that's dooable for me, just have to check what charger my company will be fitting to my house, reading up they say the new ones are smart ones and i won't have to wait up to plug/unplug it 🙂    the deal is i have to make my mind up next week, so a delay of 8-12 months for it to arrive, im thinking thngs will have started to calm down and energy companies will be back with the offers.   

ops just thought.    Sorry i forgot to check Briskoda policy, i'm not advertising 🙂 so will remove any links to energy companies as don't want to be banned for advertising!

• Thanks 1

6 hours charging if you get 6.6 kW per hour will be 39.6 kWh.    so £3.96.   

Even if you just get 2.5 mile a kWh in winter then 80 miles for £4. 

Great.

If you do that miles most days and need that charge and can use stuff in the house offpeak, cooking,washing / dryer etc.

Not that great if you do not get advantage of the 'cheap' rates and pay so much more the rest of the time.

The day tariff is already crazy without paying that amount and more.

Then the issue is where you are paying 50 pence a kWh so £20 Public charging.  even if you get 20% VAT back on that.

Edited by toot

8p per mile sounds incredibly mean. If it’s a company car, should  the company not cover the charging at whatever the cost. Most firms would have chargers installed at your workplace. Outside of this, they would usually supply a charge card to be used at public charge points if additional range was required away from the workplace. Only other setup I’ve heard of would be installing a charger at your home and reimbursing you for the units used charging the company EV. This would obviously be quite complex. 

• Like 1

@Joel303L  the 8ppm is set by the HMRC It was recently 6ppm and only reviewed once every 12months.

A recent campaign by motoring organisations got it moved to 8ppm (they wanted 12ppm) and it's now reviewed every quarter by HMRC

Our company will pay for home charging points, but just pay back at HMRC Rate ppm.  Relying on us to shop around for cheap electric, or loose out!

Not the way to go by HMRC or companies that are pushing for us all to go Green.

We currently have a fuel card for diesel, asked about just using that to pay for electric, but apparently that's complicated at a tax level, can't see how as it's just the same as using it for diesel?!

Edited by skoda2019

Crazy stuff. Apologies I’m not familiar with UK taxation rules but in Ireland for examples, companies can reclaim the vat on diesel which is way they are so keen to keep running diesel fleets. It’s also probably the easy option for your company fleet manager or administrator. I hurts me to say this but it probably makes more sense financially for you to stick with diesel for your company car.

I have a company car in the UK

My company pays for my fuel / charging and I pay back my personal Milage.

up to Last year I had a Mercedes A220 amg  that was £175 pm Company car Tax with private miles at 13p Pm

I have just gone From a BMW x1 Hybrid to an Enyaq 60 

My company car tax has gone from £75 Pm  for the X1 to £12.80 for the Enyaq

My private miles have one From 15p pm to 5p pm.

A massive saving. and a much bigger car.

I'm pushing for the iv80 instead of the iv60.

My company has added a pack to the base model iv60 of 3k to encourage us to take it up. But i would have to use public and home chargers to cover the distances i do.

The iv80 would do the miles just with charging at home.

They really haven't thought this through, but that doesn't surprise me! They just want us to go green for PR reasons!

Also some utility companies are offering new customers a very low overnight (6hrs) rate, so i wouldn't be loosing out at 8p per mile back from my company. This is going to be matched with the HMRC  quarterly reviewed rate.

I will more than be happy with the basic spec iv80 for the increase  miles.

I am aware of massive reductions in miles from the advertised mileage!

Edited by skoda2019
  • Like 1

• Administrators
On 11/12/2022 at 09:29, skoda2019 said:

ops just thought.    Sorry i forgot to check Briskoda policy, i'm not advertising 🙂 so will remove any links to energy companies as don't want to be banned for advertising!

The odd link in t his context is totally fine.

It's persistent or deliberate that I take objection to. Like those who'd take a biscuit from your table without asking, just gets my goat.

I'm totally ok with valid members of this community posting links to help each other out.

• Like 1

I agree the 80 would have been a better option however the 60 was all I could have on my allowance. I get 200+ miles per charge if I'm sensible. The game changer for me was the tax and ppm, company's are trying hard to get us green I was offered 1/2 price for the charger and instal at home, I thought that was pretty good. 

H i Stray.

We don't get an allowance, it's just a case of pick a colour and it's classed as a company car, we never own it.

You're much better off with the Enyaq 60 than your previous cars.

Do think the electric car is just a  passing fad, much like wind turbines.

Hydrogen and tidal turbines are the future.

But that's a political discussion for another day 🙂

I am getting a new octavia mk4 jan2023 whilst my company sort there farce with electric out! To replace my old mk3 octavia

Edited by skoda2019
more info
  • Like 1

Where I work a salary sacrifice scheme has just been introduced. I think its classed as a company car - so BIK @ 2% and we have to claim back business miles at 5p/m (HMRC Current rate) - Includes a home charger.

Given I'm paying for it in effect, I would hope I could claim the business use against tax at 25/45 (Less the 5p for "fuel") - but I suspect that won't be allowed.

• Like 1

On 18/12/2022 at 12:30, skoda2019 said:

H i Stray.

We don't get an allowance, it's just a case of pick a colour and it's classed as a company car, we never own it.

You're much better off with the Enyaq 60 than your previous cars.

Do think the electric car is just a  passing fad, much like wind turbines.

Hydrogen and tidal turbines are the future.

But that's a political discussion for another day 🙂

I am getting a new octavia mk4 jan2023 whilst my company sort there farce with electric out! To replace my old mk3 octavia

Tidal has definitely got its place. Hydrogen a lot less so due to the cost and efficiency of making it.  It really isn’t good especially when you include the compression of it to get it into a small space.