Amundsen Infotainment system lock-up and repair

My 2016 L&K Yeti is fitted with the Amundsen infotainment system – the type with DAB radio, satnav, and two SD card slots on the front.

Several months ago I noticed that a small area of the touchscreen was dead.

Soon after that, the system had a temporary ‘episode’, where it started randomly changing radio stations, and not responding to touch screen commands. But soon after it seemed to return to normal, apart from the dead area of screen.

Then a couple of weeks ago, the random radio station changing thing happened again. This time the entire touch screen was unresponsive, and none of the control buttons would work. All I could do was turn the unit on and off, and adjust volume, on whichever obscure radio station it had chosen. I tried holding the on/off button down to reset, and disconnecting the car battery, but these didn’t make any difference. 

I started looking at the owner’s forums, to assess my options to get a working system again. I didn’t fancy getting an aftermarket unit, because getting all of the original functionality sounded beyond my DIY skills. Getting a secondhand unit on ebay sounded risky and still quite expensive, with the component protection issues as well. And going to a dealer for a like-for-like replacement sounded like a total rip off - plus I’ve had a very negative experience with my local dealer! (Leaky sunroof, say no more!)

On one of the forums I saw a recommendation for Satnav Systems, in Surbiton, https://www.satnavsystems.com from someone who had their unit repaired by them.  I got in touch by email. I have to say, from start to finish, every aspect of their service has been extremely good. 

Hamid, the director, replied very quickly. I described the symptoms, and was told that this sounded like a repeat of a very common problem in VAG cars fitted with this unit built between 2015-2017. He believed repair would very likely be possible. If I could visit their premises, they could perform a FOC diagnosis and provide a no obligation quote, on the spot. The typical repair could be performed in 1- 2 hours, while I waited. 

I live in the midlands, but I was planning a rare visit to SW London the next week, so I booked an appointment for that day, and was sent detailed directions. I got there on schedule, and the diagnosis confirmed the expected fault. 

Hamid explained the problem is caused by a fault which develops in the digitiser, which is the interface between the touchscreen and the unit. The repair involves removal of the unit, and partial strip to enable replacement of the digitiser. The replacement is a genuine VAG part, being their upgraded standard to fix the susceptibility to this failure mode. The Firmware and software were upgraded to the latest standard, and the satnav map was updated to the 2023 version. I was quoted just under £475 to perform the repair, plus £75 to activate Apple Car Play. I agreed, and less than 2 hours later the repair was complete. Hamid then gave me a very useful tutorial in operating the integral satnav system, plus he showed me how to get going with Apple Car Play, which is fantastic. 

The repair has a 1 year warranty. It’s certainly working perfectly well now, and hopefully will continue to do so!

I believe Satnav Systems can perform the repair on units posted to them, subject to postage costs, if visiting their premises is not possible. 

I thought this feedback might be useful to other owners faced with a similar dilemma, and I thought Hamid and Satnav Systems deserved some positive feedback for their excellent service. 

Edited by ClimbingPaul
  • Love it! 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sadly mine seems to be suffering from the same issue. Does anyone have experience of a good equivalent of Satnav systems based in the southwest? Or does Satnav offer a postal service? If so, how does on get the current unit out of the dashboard?

47 minutes ago, frozboz said:

Sadly mine seems to be suffering from the same issue. Does anyone have experience of a good equivalent of Satnav systems based in the southwest? Or does Satnav offer a postal service? If so, how does on get the current unit out of the dashboard?

Sorry, I never followed up! Had it repaired and all is good, in fact, better than it was before!

They do a quick postal service too.

You’ll need to remove the unit which is very easy. All you need is a Torx20 drive.

Just go to www.satnavsystems.com and fill in the enquiry form.
They reply quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

It went into the Dealer today, fortunately we have a warranty and that will cover a replacement. Trouble is 8 weekish wait for a replacement unit to be delivered.

4 hours ago, frozboz said:

It went into the Dealer today, fortunately we have a warranty and that will cover a replacement. Trouble is 8 weekish wait for a replacement unit to be delivered.

I also had Auto Protect warranty. Satnav Systems quoted the warranty company for the repair and got it approved and paid for so I didn’t have to pay anything!