change quiet horn

ScalaMalc

hi, ref quiet horn. ive now done this now so i can warn others of my presence!! firstly i'm sure the alarm has its own sounder, not readily accessible and there has not been any CANBUS interference as the horn is relay powered. if you remove the plastic connector from the factory horn it is connected by bullet shaped contacts, simply connect new horn wires together and fit a standard bullet conn, plug this into the previously removed socket and just plug original car plug into this, nice and secure.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

My Kamiq now has DUAL sounding horns .. buying  a 2nd hand VW Polo Dual horn set and a Splitter cable.. both on Ebay.
Leave the vertical bracket there, I made a new bracket for and attached  the dual horns, bolted it to the existing vertical bracket, plugged in .. yay !        30 Sept 2023

= Test that your existing horn does work before start, Car up on ramps, remove 9 x Torx #25 screws, to remove underside plastic underside splash guard.

= On the existing SINGLE horn, .. Unplug wiring , by 'pressing down' the SQUARE piece at the wires end, to be able to pull the plug off ,

then remove 10mm nut, then attach your manufactured new bracket [with the Dual Horns mounted on], to the existing vertical bracket

( using a new bolt/nut )  & plug into the car horn wireloom plug ... do a TEST toot ! Cable tie the plug to the bracket.

= To Make a bracket , I bought some perforated metal strap, cut to length and 'doubled' up for strength, drill 3 holes { A B C }

to suit dual horns and centre mount attachment bolt and painted black.   I bought the SECOND hand VW OEM Dual Polo Horns

on Ebay. search: " Volkswagen Polo dual horn 6 " { some on ebay come with a bracket that may or may not suit your car }.

There are plenty of other VW dual horns to choose from .. I chose the Polo because it is a smaller vehicle. ( a smaller horn size ? ). ..

Maybe also search other VW models for a dual horn .. Beetle, Passat, T-Cross, Golf etc. Audi's - Seat's etc.

I bought second hand VW OEM horns and NOT the copies or those ones with interconnecting loose wire sets. 

Also, maybe this company suits ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/vwbreakersyard

=  Bought a splitter cable. := AliExpress .. [ there are MANY ! ] . . .{ just copy and paste each item to search }
(a) " One To Two Harness Snail Horn Plug High Low Horn Cable For Polo Golf Jetta ID.4 "
(b) " For VW Santana Jetta POLO Golf 6 Jetta Bora High Low Tone Horn Cable Snail Horn Plug Connector One To Two Wiring Harness " ...
(c) "The New AUD-I Jetta New Fabia two special Line Beam Horn Polo GLOF 6 Bora Mallet modification one turn two Plug" . . .
(d) " For POLO Golf 6 MK6 Jetta Passat Audii Bora High and low tone horn cable Snail horn plug One out two harness "
(e) " For VW POLO Golf 6 Jette Bora High Low Tone Horn Cable Snail Adapter Plug One To Two Harness Cable "
===================== or
:= Ebay. . . [ if you can find any stock ]
(i) " High and low tone horn cable plug One out two For POLO 2011-18 Golf 6 Jette Bora "
(ii) "Modified Harness Electrical Horn Connector Plug For Skoda VW Audi" . . .
(iii) " For VW / Audi / Seat / Skoda High Low Tone Horn Cable spiliter Harness adaptor "

= Wrapped splitter cable in Fleece tape

If you owned one of the single horn vehicles like mine you would realise just how pathetic the horn sounds, it really is an embarrasment, it sounds like something a toddler would have on a tricycle.

I never want to use mine, sometimes I do so instinctively and then curl up with embarrassment, I want to hide!!!!!

• Like 2

On 30/09/2023 at 20:13, J.R. said:

If you owned one of the single horn vehicles like mine you would realise just how pathetic the horn sounds, it really is an embarrasment, it sounds like something a toddler would have on a tricycle.

I never want to use mine, sometimes I do so instinctively and then curl up with embarrassment, I want to hide!!!!!

I do own one, mine is a 21 Kamiq MC and yes the horn is weak……and?  I have far FAR better things to worry about than a feeble sounding horn which I might use once a month.  

Horses for courses😂😂

I'm pleased you have better things to worry about, I don't because I am neither worried by the horn nor anything else.

Horses for courses! 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm pleased you have better things to worry about, I don't because I am neither worried by the horn nor anything else.

Horses for courses! 😀

Calm down mate, Jesus🤣

You worry yourself silly over something so insignificant it’s laughable, I couldn’t give a monkeys.

Have fun ripping your car apart just to have a deeper sounding horn, I hope it makes you feel a bit more manly whenever you have to use it.  I have far better things to worry about.

Horses for courses😘

Your response is somewhat at odds with your claim to not give a monkeys, have you perhaps confused me with someone else?

I am not your mate and I am not worried about anything as I explained but thank you nonetheless for your observations following your (mis)perception.

I have no intention of ripping my car apart but once again thank you for your observations of how you believe it would make me feel.

Peace be with you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Strange, seeing as your first post on this subject states that “it’s a job I must get round to doing”, which in turn means that it bothers you. So no, I’m not confusing you with someone else…..maybe you have some kind of memory loss🤷🏻‍♂️

You have fun putting all that time and effort into having a deeper horn tone, some of us have better things to worry about.

Have fun mate👍

Edited by carefree

• 4 months later...

Too Funny 🙂  Found this thread when searching to see if anyone else was embarrassed by the lame Scala horn.   So, I can live with it but sometimes it doesn't reflect the right amount of outrage when you press it and especially when pressing it very hard doesn't help either.

Here's another solution that I would like to see as standard on all cars,      upgraded horn   Couple of nice options for simply catching attention and a more fulfilling option for those rare but necessary times.  I specially like the one at the 4min section.

Just need to decide what to do.

In the mean time I'm going to post my first new thread post here and talk about slippy clutch pedals,

👍

3 hours ago, TTFun said:

Too Funny 🙂  Found this thread when searching to see if anyone else was embarrassed by the lame Scala horn.   So, I can live with it but sometimes it doesn't reflect the right amount of outrage when you press it and especially when pressing it very hard doesn't help either.

Here's another solution that I would like to see as standard on all cars,      upgraded horn   Couple of nice options for simply catching attention and a more fulfilling option for those rare but necessary times.  I specially like the one at the 4min section.

Just need to decide what to do.

In the mean time I'm going to post my first new thread post here and talk about slippy clutch pedals,

👍

What's a clutch?