DRG transmission problem - fixed

During 2022 my Superb DRG (2017 reg) developed a horrible judder when setting off from rest. Opinion (local garage and mobile garage - dealer not much help) eventually settled on a gearbox problem.

I went off to Bristol Transmissions for diagnostics (£90). Yes, they would need to replace 2 clutches and the flywheel. They quoted a fixed price of £1500 + VAT (less the £90!)

I duly turned up last December, delivered it and made my way back to Stroud  by bus and train. Thank you Google Maps!

Got the call to collect it 2 weeks later, as estimated. Now, a month later, the car has proved to be delightfully smooth again.

Sadly, this is not an uncommon problem with this and related models, they said.

Highly recommended service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, toot said:

From the previous thread by the OP it is a DQ200 DSG.

@ 5 years only is a rather sad state of affairs and why an extended warranty that covers the DSG is rather important. 

@keble6How many miles had your car done, and had you it from new?

Would warranty actually cover clutch packs?  Dealer would say that’s wear and tear. 

6 hours ago, keble6 said:

During 2022 my Superb DRG (2017 reg) developed a horrible judder when setting off from rest. Opinion (local garage and mobile garage - dealer not much help) eventually settled on a gearbox problem.

I went off to Bristol Transmissions for diagnostics (£90). Yes, they would need to replace 2 clutches and the flywheel. They quoted a fixed price of £1500 + VAT (less the £90!)

I duly turned up last December, delivered it and made my way back to Stroud  by bus and train. Thank you Google Maps!

Got the call to collect it 2 weeks later, as estimated. Now, a month later, the car has proved to be delightfully smooth again.

Sadly, this is not an uncommon problem with this and related models, they said.

Highly recommended service.

2 weeks to replace flywheel and clutch packs?  What the. 

There is a TPI covering the DQ200 from around the time of the OP's build and there were up-rated clutch packs that some got.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/439395-the-story-of-the-famous-dq200-clutch-slip/page/7

@DonweatherDealership staff and Skoda employees do indeed say the clutch packs are excluded in the warranrty.

THEY NEED TO READ THE WARRANTY THAT CAME WITH THAT VEHICLE, THEN CALL A FRIEND, CALL ANYONE, BUT GET THINGS RIGHT.

(Bottom line of current screen grab is a current UK warranty.)

The T&C's in the Manufacturers warranty and the Approved Used Warranty and the Extended Warranty are what matters.

DSG is not excluded now and there have been times in the past when not. 

Then the Warranty at the time of purchase is what matters.

If an Extended Warranty covers a DSG then it is 'Simply Clever' to buy one IMO.  Running a DSG without one has been a risk with a DQ200, 

and now with DQ381,s i would not take the chance. 

** The thing with the DQ200 DSG's is it could be Clutch Plates, or selector forks, or the MCU.  With the DQ381's it looks so far very much the Mechatronic Control Units', as wet clutch DSG's having clutch pack issues is really not an issue.**

We will see how ling they keep to this 80,000 miles service schedule, and when they are going to have to extend warranties on these if over the years there are failures.

5 YEAR MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY IN AUSTRALIA. PROBABLY DUE TO HOW THEY HAVE COCK_ED UP BADLY OVER THE PAST YEARS.

Recalls and service campaigns since 2012 and then needed repeated right up to 2019.

Screenshot 2023-01-29 06.52.03.png

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2021.pdf

1967968741_Screenshot2021-07-28at14_13_28 (1).webp

Screenshot 2023-01-29 06.52.03.jpg

Edited by toot