LED ambient light below side window - can it be replaced?

Odd/niche question but worth a go I thought.

I've just bought a 3 year old Kodiaq vRS which I'm really enjoying so far. One thing I've noticed though is that the thin LED light strip towards the top of the driver's door only illuminates at one end - the section which makes up the front two-thirds of it appears to have failed. All the others work as expected.

My question is - does anyone know whether this is something that can be replaced easily, or is it a 'replace the entire door card and speaker assembly and door wiring loom and so on' job? I'm on an approved used warranty but I'm assuming it's not covered.

54 minutes ago, CainDingle said:

I'm on an approved used warranty but I'm assuming it's not covered.

I’d be asking the question of the warranty provider first. LED lights should last a lot longer than 3 years.

• Like 1

It's probably the whole door card.

There are two actual LED emitters in the middle, each one feeds into a light pipe that spreads it out.  Sounds like one of the emitters has failed.  If they can just replace the emitter (it's a little PCB) great, but not sure it has a single SKU which might mean the whole card gets replaced.

For the modules: See my post here:

• 9 months later...

Sorry to resurrect a relatively old thread but I finally got round to talking to the dealer about this. They say it's classed as 'trim' and not covered by the warranty. It'd be 700 smackers to fix as it'd require the replacement of the entire door card assembly.

Once I'd retrieved my jaw from the tiles I had a think about this and I'm really not sure that it's trim at all - it seems to me to be an electrical failure. The electric window switch is in the door card as well; is that trim? No.

Also, it did occur to me that the LED interior light package - while standard on the vRS - is a cost option for most of the other trim levels (indeed there's a section in the main brochure with some nice pictures dedicated to upselling the thing). If I had specced it on, say, a Kodiaq SE and then it had failed during a warranty period, I feel that it'd be reasonable to expect this to be warranty work.

I'm thinking about dropping Skoda UK an email and arguing the toss.

15 hours ago, CainDingle said:

Sorry to resurrect a relatively old thread but I finally got round to talking to the dealer about this. They say it's classed as 'trim' and not covered by the warranty. It'd be 700 smackers to fix as it'd require the replacement of the entire door card assembly.

Once I'd retrieved my jaw from the tiles I had a think about this and I'm really not sure that it's trim at all - it seems to me to be an electrical failure. The electric window switch is in the door card as well; is that trim? No.

Also, it did occur to me that the LED interior light package - while standard on the vRS - is a cost option for most of the other trim levels (indeed there's a section in the main brochure with some nice pictures dedicated to upselling the thing). If I had specced it on, say, a Kodiaq SE and then it had failed during a warranty period, I feel that it'd be reasonable to expect this to be warranty work.

I'm thinking about dropping Skoda UK an email and arguing the toss.

Playing Devil's Advocate, the electric door switches are not part of the door card, they're seperate, they fix into the door card. If the light strip were removable then fair enough, but it's not, it's part of the trim.

With my Mr Sensible head on, are you saying you've waited 9 months before doing anything about this? 😲  There would have been more than a fair chance under consumer rights if you'd just bought the car, but if you've waited 9 months before doing anything about it:   a) you're out of time and b) even if you were to take this further, the fact you've lived so long with this fault makes that fault a minor one.

• Like 2