2016 Estate Rear Camera and parking sensors have stopped working

As title really, they have just stopped working. According to the manual the fuse is shared with several other systems, but these are working so it can't be that, right? Help 🤗

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

Last thread I saw with something like this is was some like the connector or wires to a rear sensor, always working checking such things as a no cost item, perhaps wiring/connection at the gearbox(?).  What type of gearbox is it as that might make a difference.

With electrics it's often wires and/or connectors, then perhaps the actual units but of course there's also the computers and their programs also on modern cars, so on to scan tools.

You can listen if the rear sensors are working - "confirmed by switching the ignition (but not the engine) on and putting my ear against each sensor in turn. You should be able to hear a faint clicking sound a few times per second from all 4 of the sensors."

Don't know if this might help you. - https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/499513-parking-sensors-not-working/#comment-5646491

See also 'Similar Content' at bottom of this page.

Hopefully someone will be along that know something about your issue.

Full marks for looking at the Owner's Manual.

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.
  • Like 1

I've done everything I can, reset the infotainment system, swapped the fuse, just in case, checked to see if it has any fault codes, nothing. 

I should correct what I said about the camera, it doesn't have a camera, just visual representation of the back of the car on the screen, with the coloured markers that change as you get closer.

I am leaning towards the reversing light switch on the gearbox, as that 'must' have something to do with instigating the whole, reversing sensors etc. Normally, when reverse is engaged, you'll hear a beep, to show reverse is selected, that isn't happening either. 

Can anyone help, perhaps with pics, of where the switch is located on the gear box and how is best to access it from the engine bay (top) as I have no way to safely get underneath? 😁

Never rely too much on fault codes or the absence of fault codes.  I might be wrong but I think the bleep relates to the rear parking sensors and again I might be wrong but I think it only takes one sensor to have a fault (or be disconnected) to stop the system.

Do the reversing lights light up when reverse is selected as I would have thought, but might be wrong, that would indicate if the reversing light switch is working.

Which gearbox do you have?

I don't know but think it unlikely  you'd be able to get at the reversing switch from above but I could be wrong.

I've just had a look, if you lay on the ground you can look up and with a torch see the connectors and wiring to the three rear sensors (funny as I thought there were four).

I can't remember are all manuals 5-speed for these years, anyway looks like I might be wrong (again), the switch might be accessible from the top, see if this video corresponds with your car, my wife's car's not available at the moment to check. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC_G-ViY1bw

Had a look today, the battery and housing was in the way but after taking that out, it was easy enough to see. Unfortunately the torx bolt wasn't easy to see or access as it was under the sensor (from the top) so I couldn't get the sensor out, but the wires seemed ok and the connector had continuity. 

Its in for service in a couple of weeks so I'll get it checked by them I guess. 🤪

92598AB9-0591-47D3-A3F8-B3CA4D23400E_1_201_a.jpeg

E981D5BB-9D48-45B1-B0E4-24BA07F70503_1_201_a.jpeg

7CB27D0F-BB22-427C-8657-51BC2F708A25.jpeg

42B74B4C-DEEC-4191-8D18-737623C37BFF_1_201_a.jpeg

Shame as you put in the effort and got so far.  Zooming in on the photos the female socket looks to be without any crud at least (getting that disconnected would be a struggle for me.  From the photos it's difficult to know if a torx screwdriver or t-bar or Allen key would get to the switch screw best from above or underneath.

Did you have to reset anything other than the time of day after removing the battery?

I'd pre-spray the switch and screw with GT85 (better than WD-40 Multi-Use) to help easy removal and also use the GT85 to flush and clean the connector plug and socket after visual inspection. - https://gt85.co.uk/gt85-original/

The garage might plug in the scan tool to find the fault, let us know how you get on, it'd be a bit disappointing if the switch only lasted 7 years.  

GT85s.jpg.28144e141ccf8b27aa46b9b2da2d40d4.jpg

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, chieflordy said:

Did you get this sorted out Snowbaby? Just wondering as I have the same issue today, rear parking sensors and reverse lights stopped working. 

Check the fuse, if they both stopped working at the same time, it has to be something they have in common and might be the fuse.

Edited by Graham Butcher

Not the fuse I am afraid, relevant fuse also used for other items which are still functioning. I am pretty sure it is the gearbox switch, which tells the electronic components that you have engaged reverse gear, ie rear parking sensors, reversing lights and also the rear windscreen wiper, in that normally when the front wipers are on and you engage reverse gear the rear wiper starts- it is not doing that currently.

3 hours ago, chieflordy said:

Did you get this sorted out Snowbaby? Just wondering as I have the same issue today, rear parking sensors and reverse lights stopped working. 

Hi, yes, it was the wire to the reversing sensor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1