Head unit difference between Canton and normal stereo?

Hello!

i have Canton sound system in my octavia rs230 2016. I would like to change Canton sound system amplifier to DSP amplifier. Its not possible to change it without changing head unit. So im asking if someone would know what is difference between Canton and normal stereo head units wires? Is it possible to plug normal head unit instead of Canton head unit and run new speaker wires from head unit to new dsp and it would work?

I think i already got the answer to this. 

i opened up that head unit. It looks same as normal stereo but without speaker signal plug. So i think its possible to change there any Android unit. 

86132393-2E55-42E5-AB47-5901EA11CE94.jpeg

FB5D2107-C6E8-44D2-B5DC-DBCF729C5EF3.jpeg

Yep. Thats what i actually found today from other forum. 

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/recoding-the-radio-to-eliminate-fender-amp.341803/

i think im going to test this because i have obdeleven. I would be happy if this works. Changing Canton system is quite a pain. 

if someone has other information about coding, i would be happy to know about it. Thank you @langers2k

Changing CANTON is not a big deal - just add harness from glove box unit to the new amplifier (plus the power for amplifier). You have to make sure your amplifier is capable of driving 10 individual speakers or you have to use additional crossover to combine individual such-channels.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 20/10/2023 at 09:57, pab567 said:

Coding only, change byte 04 to FF and byte 11 to 05.

Hi, is it possible to change back to canton by reversing the coding? Just in case if I would sell the car.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/10/2023 at 09:57, pab567 said:

Coding only, change byte 04 to FF and byte 11 to 05.

PS what are the exact functions or the modification? External sound system off?

1 minute ago, pab567 said:

It drives the ouptut level down to 5V to match external aftermarkjet amplifier input.

Thanks! It's located in the 5F ? I've received the external amp and will install soon

7 hours ago, pab567 said:

Sorry for the questions :) 
Have almost everything prepared. When coding out Canton I have a special cable with a quadlock connector to Molex for speaker in on the dsp. Quadlock was not available on the headunit so I'm adding it. Is the pinout for the quadlock correct like this picture.

1. Rear Right +

2. Front Right +

3. Front Left +

4. Rear Left +

5. Rear Right -

6. Front Right -

7. Front Left -

8. Rear Left -

PINOUT.jpg

On 16/04/2024 at 08:16, pab567 said:

Yes, it is :)

For me to understand..

Disable Canton

Byte 11 > 05
long coding 5F (multimedia) -> byte 11 (sound system) -> 05 (sound system external booster) 

Byte 04 > FF ??

I found this: 

3C -> 2 channels, 4 speakers.

BE -> 4 channels, 6 speakers.

FF -> 4 channels, 8 speakers.

So it becomes  4 channels? I can relate to the Front left, Right and Rear Left, Right, correct? But why do they mention 8 speakers?