Rear Window on Hatch Replaced - Can hear loose glass sliding. Any way to get it out?

Had the misfortune of someone smashing my back window. Had a crew out from the insurance to change out the back window. They did a fair job but the biggest problem is that they didn't seem all that bothered about vacuuming all of the loose glass as I found a lot of it in the boot, on the road and, worst of all, inside the hatch itself which I can hear every time I open and close it.

I brought it up with the company and of course they tried to fob me off. I held my ground as my mk3 is my pride and joy and they're being paid handsomely for the job. They said it's hard to access all the glass. I would have understood that had they done their job properly and tidied up after themselves or at least used a nozzle when vacuuming - which I saw they hadn't. 

They're willing to take a look at it again during the week. I've already taken out the trim in the hatch and sadly it's not there so it's probably between the new screen and the body of the hatch.

Has anyone any experience of this?

Is there any way to get this glass out or will they have to change it again?

Thanks all!

Edited by foregonereality

I would have thought that all the glass would drop to the bottom when its closed, so i vacuum cleaner in the boot with the hatch 1/2 opened should do it with the trim off.

I have a pipe with a shovel type of end that gets down the side off my VRS seats and will get into most places.      Perhaps a small well trained child?

• Like 2
  • Cheeky 1

Yes. Had this on a mk5 golf when they smashed the rear tailgate glass and front door glass. Glass repair people were not very interested other than removing large pieces and maybe one vacuum over.

On the tailgate hatch like @Cap44 says you may need to open close hatch and even vacuum with half open. It may have been a little easier with glass out but not to worry.

You could also ping off the gas struts connection at ball joint end and you could be a lot more violent with opening and closing but you will need two people and a length of solid timber to hold tailgate open.

Nb. You probably won't get it all out. Sometimes they stick some double sided tape inside just to catch it just to stop the rattles. I'm sure they will be able to improve it though.  Best of luck.. 

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

Hi guys. Thank you for your responses.

I have removed the trim and taken a look - I reckon I could keep the hatch halfway open from the inside but I don't know where to put the vacuum cleaner - Is there any holes in particular or is it just where the glass makes contact with the metal and hope for the best?

This reminds me of my Mk2.5 - Went to my car one morning to find a pebble in the centre of the rear window. As it turned out, there wasn't a single rear windscreen with the diversity aerial etched into it in the entire UK - so I had to drive with plastics covering the rather large whole for nearly a fortnight while one was shipped in......

Anyway, I digress.

Window replacement company come out, just want to get the job done as soon as possible. Every single time I opened & closed the hatch the annoying noise of sliding glass could be heard. As far as they were concerned, window replaced, no longer their problem.

As it happened, my car was in at Skoda having some other work done and I mentioned the issue. They said they would take a look.

Basically one guy spent an hour with various pieces of trim off, opening and closing the boot and getting more and more glass out until all you could hear were maybe 2-3 tiny chips moving around. They charged me an hours labour, but I was happy to pay.

I can's see the Mk3 being much different - all rather time consuming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoofa said:

This reminds me of my Mk2.5 - Went to my car one morning to find a pebble in the centre of the rear window. As it turned out, there wasn't a single rear windscreen with the diversity aerial etched into it in the entire UK - so I had to drive with plastics covering the rather large whole for nearly a fortnight while one was shipped in......

Anyway, I digress.

Window replacement company come out, just want to get the job done as soon as possible. Every single time I opened & closed the hatch the annoying noise of sliding glass could be heard. As far as they were concerned, window replaced, no longer their problem.

As it happened, my car was in at Skoda having some other work done and I mentioned the issue. They said they would take a look.

Basically one guy spent an hour with various pieces of trim off, opening and closing the boot and getting more and more glass out until all you could hear were maybe 2-3 tiny chips moving around. They charged me an hours labour, but I was happy to pay.

I can's see the Mk3 being much different - all rather time consuming.

Very time consuming. I had the trim off again just there - both the carpet and the plastic that joins up with the brake light - and whatever is going on I cannot get access to any of that glass. No matter how much I open and close the hatch.

I did the trick where you put straws at the end of a hoover nozzle and although it didn't work getting any glass out - on the opposite end of the car it got a couple of parking tickets out from between the front windscreen and the dash!

So update - they wanted to strip the interior trim again to have a look. I told them there's no point as I've already done it and tbh do not want them to cause more damage to my car. They refused to take out the new glass they put in to hoover the glass out directly.

Does anyone have any more ideas to stop the glass from moving up and down the sides of the hatch when it's being opened and closed? When I had the trim off I tried hoovering right where the glass meets the body with a nozzle but nothing came out. 

I've seen on an audi tt forum and seat forum that some people have been able to put some expanding foam at the bottom of their panels to 'catch' the glass that's rattling around. Has anyone does this with their Octy? I just wish I knew where to put it as the hatch appears to have several cavities in it.

Mmm. Maybe looking at a used rear hatch - edit off car, completely stripped of trim, maybe without glass, may help. Either in person or Internet photos.  Sounds tricky. I've not got anything else really. 

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1