Tailgate realease button not working

munkebo66

New Fabia Mk IV.
The middle button on the fob has only worked once in more than 2 months.
I mentioned to the dealer and they seem to think that the car has to undergo a full diagnostics check. 
This seems to be excessive does anyone know whether I just need to click some setting to avoid it.

• Like 1

I'm having the exact same issue with my MK IV Fabia. I actually don't think the button has ever worked for me since I've had the car? 

Just out of interest (this is something I'm going to play round with tomorrow), but when you unlock your car with the main unlock button, does it just unlock the drivers door? I know this is a security setting which can be changed on the infortainment display but I'm just wondering whether having this setting enabled is what's causing the tailgate button not to work? 

• Like 1

Which version of keys or Kessy do you have, with some versions of kessy (where can keep key in pocket) you can walk up to the boot and it unlocks without unlocking the doors.   (but I don't know if Fabia mk4 has that)

So really only need the middle button to lock it up again, but most would just use the lock button.  

@munkebo66 can I suggest you check the locking settings in infotainment first, go into, car, then settings, scroll to the option with locking and tick or untick what you want.  It might just be set up differently to how you expect and not a fault.   Only if then still have a problem contact the dealer.

Actually if it is new car, spend a few minutes and go into every setting in the list and set it up with your choice.  Mine was delivered with a safety system off, either the front radar or blind spot monitoring (I forget which now), but if I hadn't been through list wouldn't have known.  

• Like 2

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

Are you pressing or holding the button?

The instruction is different from how it used to be, now it has to "hold" the button. Digital version of 'Owner's Manual' from here, VIN or (part) year of manufacture to get the correct one. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

bhbhbh.jpg.21df49c683ee9021aef323a1dd283920.jpg

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.
  • Thanks 1

@munkebo66. Who ever at the dealership is not making a big deal over the diagnostic check are they?  Drop in first appointment in the morning or an arranged time.  30 mins the tech plugs in, arranges ordering a part if required, tells the desk person to tell you they are checking with the factory for updates.  Appointment then arranged for a later date.  Same old same old. 

4 hours ago, JA1991 said:

Mines keyless start, but not keyless entry. I'll have a go at messing around with the settings today and see how I get on 🤞🏻

You could first have a look at the Owner's Manual.  If you read the Owner's Manual you'll know more about using your particular model than most other owners and many at garages and Dealerships.  Digital version of 'Owner's Manual' from here, VIN or (part) year of manufacture to get the correct one. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

• Thanks 1

On 17/02/2023 at 11:57, nta16 said:

Are you pressing or holding the button?

The instruction is different from how it used to be, now it has to "hold" the button. Digital version of 'Owner's Manual' from here, VIN or (part) year of manufacture to get the correct one. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

/cdn-cgi/mirage/e4627ed88efe9d3b076896e3f3e5b590bb3c755f7ccf24a502b721b4c010cd16/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_02/bhbhbh.jpg.21df49c683ee9021aef323a1dd283920.jpg

This seems to have done the trick! It's definitely hold the button like you said rather than push it. Thanks again! Problem solved 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, JA1991 said:

This seems to have done the trick! It's definitely hold the button like you said rather than push it. Thanks again! Problem solved 

No problem, glad it worked.

A lesson there, read the manual and refer to it when needed - but I'm not even an expert in that as I've found stuff in the manual I've either not read, missed, mi-read, misunderstood or often forgot.

Another tip is to change the fob battery before it gets too low, and more importantly to not let your car battery get too low, even if the car starts and the lights seem bright enough the  car battery can still be too low for the car's computers and their programs will throw up all sorts of issues even before you get any warning lights or messages.  And just driving and using the car often isn't enough to fully recharge the car battery and could even be further discharging the battery.  Many owners are now discovering or rediscovering the benefit of preventative use of an appropriate battery charger (and maintainer) and this I expect to apply even more to the newer models,

Even in the latest digital versions of the Owner's Manual there's information on the battery and charging it.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I thank everyone for all the replies, unfortunately I've been too tied up to check.

However, I've just been out and voila - holding the button down works, but what surprised me was the lights flashing at the same AND the lock actuating silently!

So thanks again, saved me a trip and as advised above I will be going through all the options on the setting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1