Dash cam power

rafmike

12 hours ago, Maxi24 said:

Having the USB to power the dashcam is great - pity it's on the wrong side 😉

How have folks routed the wiring to have neatest install with as little cable showing as possible ? I don't like the external cable routing and may opt for hard-wire as I know that will be neat.

I recently bought a new Garmin Mini 2 Dashcam which fits neatly behind the right side of the mirror, same side as the socket (RHD car). The Garmin is a very tiny unit and with a short 20cm cable it makes for a very neat setup.

BTW, in my post above I mentioned that my USB socket at the mirror appeared to be full time live, however I now correct that, the problem was with my previous dashcam. As soon as I connected the new Garmin it clearly functions properly via the ignition....

• Like 1

On 07/03/2023 at 01:08, SouthernComfort said:

Result! Mine was also pushed into the housing, now fixed. Thanks for that valuable bit of advice Hairy_Joe!

Disappointingly though, the socket appears to be full time live and not controlled via the ignition, so must remember to switch the dashcam off when leaving the car...    

that’s strange and mine h turned off & one with the ignition!! 

On 07/03/2023 at 21:31, SimplySwedish said:

My new octavia iv has the socket covered by plastic. Is it possible that the usb c plug is there, just behind a plastic cover? 

If so, how did you remove the mirror housing easiest? 

no, if you have the plastic cover you don't have the usb socket and power unit behind.

Edited by zorglub

here is a picture of what behind the roof cover without the usb unit and with one installed.

I ve found this unit with the isb socket used for 30 euro only

now i just have to find where picking power for this little power unit ! (if someone here can help me taking same picture)

20230520_160717.jpg

20230520_160714.jpg

20230520_160828.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2023 at 11:44, Maxi24 said:

Having the USB to power the dashcam is great - pity it's on the wrong side 😉

How have folks routed the wiring to have neatest install with as little cable showing as possible ? I don't like the external cable routing and may opt for hard-wire as I know that will be neat.

Without taking the car apart / adding new ports, I don't see any way of making this neat so have changed to hard-wired instead. Only took 20 mins and now satisfies my neatness fetish !

Edited by Maxi24
spellling

• 3 weeks later...

Cable mentioned here works fine with Nextbase 332GW dash cam and ignition switches it off. not sue if parking mode would work??

On 21/06/2023 at 10:49, Maxi24 said:

Without taking the car apart / adding new ports, I don't see any way of making this neat so have changed to hard-wired instead. Only took 20 mins and now satisfies my neatness fetish !

Hi Maxi24

Do you have any pics as you went along.What tools did you use,how easy to do without damage,where did you route and connect to,what model Dashcam.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions I have never installed wiring in a car before and considering getting a Dashcam.