Dash cam power

rafmike

Hi,  Picking up my shiny new Vrs on Wednesday and while looking through the bits and pieces on Skoda website I note that it has a power outlet on the rear view mirror, can this outlet be used to power a forward facing dash cam?  If not recommendations please for someone who can, no longer, crawl around cars the way he used to be able to.  Thanks in anticipation.

1 hour ago, rafmike said:

Hi,  Picking up my shiny new Vrs on Wednesday and while looking through the bits and pieces on Skoda website I note that it has a power outlet on the rear view mirror, can this outlet be used to power a forward facing dash cam?  If not recommendations please for someone who can, no longer, crawl around cars the way he used to be able to.  Thanks in anticipation.

Yep, it works fine and so simple to connect. Cable as per Mark’s post.

On 26/02/2023 at 14:55, Mark Hiscock said:

That's exactly what I did with it:

Enjoy the new car 🙂.

Can you post the amazon link mate as I'm not sure this will fit my nextbase dash cam. 

IMG_20230304_145439.jpg

IMG_20230304_145434.jpg

On 26/02/2023 at 14:55, Mark Hiscock said:

That's exactly what I did with it:

Enjoy the new car 🙂.

That appears to be more than one cable. I'm confused sorry. 

Can you please explain.. 

3 hours ago, Blueallblueno9 said:

Can you post the amazon link mate as I'm not sure this will fit my nextbase dash cam. 

IMG_20230304_145439.jpg

IMG_20230304_145434.jpg

That looks like a Mini-USB. So what you want is a short cable with a male USB-C on one end and the other end Mini-USB.

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duttek-Degree-Converter-Digital-Devices/dp/B075M4CQHZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

• Thanks 1

I had the same query with my brand new Octavia Style. Bought a cable with mini usb on one end (for the cam) and C type usb on the other. Doesn't work on the overhead usb socket. Suspecting the socket might be at fault, I connected my phone to see if it would charge - nothing. Looks like I might have a dead socket. Will report when I take it in for it's first service.

13 hours ago, SouthernComfort said:

I had the same query with my brand new Octavia Style. Bought a cable with mini usb on one end (for the cam) and C type usb on the other. Doesn't work on the overhead usb socket. Suspecting the socket might be at fault, I connected my phone to see if it would charge - nothing. Looks like I might have a dead socket. Will report when I take it in for it's first service.

I dont know about phones, but try different cables. Mino only worked with supplied cable from dash cam. So i used usb a to c adaptor. 

9 hours ago, TomTom88 said:

I dont know about phones, but try different cables. Mino only worked with supplied cable from dash cam. So i used usb a to c adaptor. 

I should have also said that it does work when connected to the usb C sockets in the console, just not on the overhead one, so the cable would appear to be ok. 

10 hours ago, SouthernComfort said:

I should have also said that it does work when connected to the usb C sockets in the console, just not on the overhead one, so the cable would appear to be ok. 

In that case get some power tester. But I would just go straight to the dealer and get them sort this out. 

It may be worth checking if the socket has become adrift and pushed into the mirror housing. Don't ask me how I found that out (I wasn't THAT severe when pushing it in!). The mirror housing just clipped off and I reattached the socket.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hairy_Joe said:

It may be worth checking if the socket has become adrift and pushed into the mirror housing. Don't ask me how I found that out (I wasn't THAT severe when pushing it in!). The mirror housing just clipped off and I reattached the socket.

Ah! thanks, I'll try that...

37 minutes ago, SouthernComfort said:

Ah! thanks, I'll try that...

Result! Mine was also pushed into the housing, now fixed. Thanks for that valuable bit of advice Hairy_Joe!

Disappointingly though, the socket appears to be full time live and not controlled via the ignition, so must remember to switch the dashcam off when leaving the car...    

6 hours ago, SouthernComfort said:

Disappointingly though, the socket appears to be full time live and not controlled via the ignition, so must remember to switch the dashcam off when leaving the car...    

That's new...
I remember reading around here - some were complaining about the mirror usb-c that  turns off when the ignition is off, and they wanted to use parking mode for their dash-cams.

L.E.:  found the other topic: 

Edited by SkOmk4

6 hours ago, SouthernComfort said:

Result! Mine was also pushed into the housing, now fixed. Thanks for that valuable bit of advice Hairy_Joe!

I have cable for mirror coming today I'll try it out and post results later. 

7 hours ago, SouthernComfort said:

It's ignition powered on the ones here.....

8 hours ago, Hairy_Joe said:

It's ignition powered on the ones here.....

50 minutes ago, TomTom88 said:

Mine is too ignition powered.

IIRC whether it's ignition powered or permanent is country dependent - in the same way that the 12V socket on the previous Octavia was country dependent.

On 06/03/2023 at 14:53, Hairy_Joe said:

My new octavia iv has the socket covered by plastic. Is it possible that the usb c plug is there, just behind a plastic cover? 

If so, how did you remove the mirror housing easiest? 

5 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

IIRC whether it's ignition powered or permanent is country dependent - in the same way that the 12V socket on the previous Octavia was country dependent.

That's pretty much my assumption now, why it has to be regionally different I don't know. My cam definitely doesn't power up or down with ignition, has to be switched on or off at the cam itself.

Edited by SouthernComfort

Update. Got cable yesterday, plugged dashcam in mirror slot and all working just fine. 

On 07/03/2023 at 01:08, SouthernComfort said:

I have cable for mirror coming today I'll try it out and post results later. 

20 hours ago, SimplySwedish said:

My new octavia iv has the socket covered by plastic. Is it possible that the usb c plug is there, just behind a plastic cover? 

If so, how did you remove the mirror housing easiest? 

I pushed it up in the middle. That pushed it out at the edges. I then grabbed one edge and pulled a bit more sideways away from the centre line of the car (towards a door). Then it popped out of the clips on that side. Then it's a case of push sideways towards the other side of the car and off it came.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2023 at 16:31, PetrolDave said:

Mine is ignition dependent also. Also just to be clear - the mirror connection is for power only. The two below the infotainment are data and power.

• 2 months later...

Having the USB to power the dashcam is great - pity it's on the wrong side 😉

How have folks routed the wiring to have neatest install with as little cable showing as possible ? I don't like the external cable routing and may opt for hard-wire as I know that will be neat.