Skoda Kodiaq vRS 2019 UK - Towing Ability & Weights

Hello everyone, I have just joined this forum. 👋
After browsing some of the older threads here, I have been unable to find the information I was after. So many mixed opinions and not a clear answer found unfortunately. 

We have owned our Kodiaq vRS for around 18 months and we are now looking to use the car to two a caravan for some delightful Bristish staycation holidays. 

There are so many mixed reviews and feedback in relation to the vRS model of the Kodiaq and I am rather confused as to what is actually correct. 
Every website I check, stats a different maximum towing weight, ranging from 1750kg to 2300kg.
The nose weight also I have seen range from 70kg through to 100kg
Then there is also some comments on a possible requirement for upgraded cooling parts if towing. 

We currently do not have a tow bar fitted. We bought the car used so was not an option for a factory fit. I do not know if there is such a thing as tow bar prep from the factory or if our car has it. 

I really would like to find out the factual figures and if this Kodiaq will be capable of towing what we want too. I have tried to obtain this from my local Skoda dealer but they could not offer any solid or guaranteed figures 🤷‍♂️

- What is the nose weight of the Sokoda Kodiaq vRS 2019 7 Seats
- What is the maximum total towing capacity/weight
- Is there are requirement for any upgraded components, like the cooling to two

Many thanks for your time.
Magik

39 minutes ago, Magik said:

We currently do not have a tow bar fitted.

Open the driver's door, look on the pillar and there will be a plate with information on it - including towing weights.

If it doesn't show weights, then you can't retrofit a tow bar and tow stuff.

Edit: Hmmm, except I finally decided to go look on mine, and there is no plate. I was going off memory from comments made in another thread, so apologies. I do have a certificate that came with the vehicle that has the towing weights on it though - guessing you didn't get given that when you bought it?

Edited by Yogi-Bear

Thank yo Yogi-Bear. 

I punched in my VIN on the Skoda Website and brought up the user manual relative to my car. 
The information for maximum permissible towing weight was there as was the maximum nose weight.

According to some sources, it depends if the vehicle was fitted with Towbar Prep or not as to whether there is a need for any upgraded engine components like cooling fans, aircon compressor etc. 
I will try to reach out to a nearby Skoda dealership and see if they can obtain that for me. 

Thank You

image.thumb.png.b28169d5ce66ea39e07f3244ed37f209.pngimage.thumb.png.22e427d3325e22dd51c439ed363d1fde.png

13 minutes ago, Magik said:

The information for maximum permissible towing weight was there as was the maximum nose weight.

Errr... if you have a vRS, then you have the 176kW (236hp) engine. So no, the weights aren't there.

5 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

Errr... if you have a vRS, then you have the 176kW (236hp) engine. So no, the weights aren't there.

You are absolutely right. 

a) Values were not available at time of going to press. 

how convenient. Not sure how accurate the V5C is but that has 1750kg

C8EF0C26-3770-4553-9992-CF2577AB5810.jpeg

Had an interesting conversion with a gentleman at Skoda Mansfield on the phone. 
Apparently, when he was looking at retro fitting a tow bar to my vehicle, there is nothing listed by Skoda and he said that one can not be retrofitted. 
Only a vRS that has been fitted with towbar prep can have a retro fitted towbar fitted.

On the vin plate, I checked on mine that It can tow 1750kg, however, without towbar prep, they can not fit one 😞

I guess this leaves us with looking at selling the car. What a shame.

Just now, toot said:

Simples, do not have 'them' fit one.  One can be fitted though.  

If there is no towbar prep, which included upgraded cooling fans, radiator, zircon compressor, electrics etc, is it not going to be "un-safe" or potential to damage the vehicle if one is fitted when advised not too ?

You have towing weights on the chassis plate, you can have a towbar retrofitted.

Skoda have a long record for screwing things up and making them unnecessarily complicated. The vRS was one of the first models Skoda used to claim that a genuine towbar could not be retrofitted, but without giving a reason.

Then they said all models built without towbar prep or an actual factory towbar would not have towing weights printed on the chassis plate.

Don’t get bogged down with Skoda UK’s ineptness. There are plenty of aftermarket towbars available to fit the vRS. Choose a reputable brand and trusted fitter and be sure the car is coded correctly. As mentioned unless you’re dragging the full 1,750kg’s up a steep incline in blistering heat for mile after mile you won’t need the upgraded grill or fan.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Arkaig said:

These folk have proved to be good: https://www.pfjones.co.uk/towbar-fitting-mobile-services.html

Their website also has a good variety of towbars and electrical wiring kits - worth a browse.

Thank you. 
I have contacted these guys and I got a very welcoming response. 

Hi, the rear bumper is different on the VRS but there are no problems installing to it.
The best towbar that is actually available at the moment is the Oris detachable
It would be £773.92 installed at your address including the software update.
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/skoda-kodiaq-suv-2016-onwards-oris-detachable-towbar-en.html

I will go ahead with these guys considering Skoda main dealer said they ant fit one as they do not have the "codes to re program the ECU, they are not available for my car" :rofl:

• Like 1

On 09/03/2023 at 20:08, Magik said:

Thank you. 
I have contacted these guys and I got a very welcoming response. 

Hi, the rear bumper is different on the VRS but there are no problems installing to it.
The best towbar that is actually available at the moment is the Oris detachable
It would be £773.92 installed at your address including the software update.
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/skoda-kodiaq-suv-2016-onwards-oris-detachable-towbar-en.html

I will go ahead with these guys considering Skoda main dealer said they ant fit one as they do not have the "codes to re program the ECU, they are not available for my car" :rofl:

First of all, if you want the definitive figures for your car, ask Skoda for an EU Certificate of Conformity.  Legally, they are obliged to issue ONE, free, to the first purchaser of the vehicle.  They don't look like much (just a single sheet of A4 with lots of data printed on them), but they're a valuable legal document.  They're unique to each vehicle, so there won't be any messing around with weight ranges, it will simply tell you exactly what your car can legally tow, braked or unbraked, including nose weight.  Look around Field 18.  The certificate will have your car's 17 character VIN on it.

Secondly, towbar prep is, as has been said, various cooling system upgrades, plus the necessary interface for the wiring.  Lots of people (me included, have NOT had towbar prep and tow things.  There is no legal problem with doing so, but there may be warranty problems if you cook your engine whilst towing.  Just watch the temperature.  Most of the time, in the UK, unless you're towing the maximum weight in the middle of summer, up a steep hill, you'll be fine.

Thirdly, we had ours done by PF Jones in Manchester and we're happy with it.  Make sure you go for "coded" electrics.

CoC side 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for your help. 
I have PF Jones fitting a towing bar at the end of the month. 
Everything  checked out in the end and the towing limit is 1,750kg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I retro fitted a towbar to my vrs back in 2019, and it has 1750kg as max weight on the plate inside the drivers door.  No cooling changes required etc, and tows like a dream with no issues.  Have a search for a previous thread I created with pics etc