Chrome Gear Shifter - Touchup Paint

Hi guys, totally new here, so apologise if I’ve posted on thew wrong area, if I have please direct me to the right chat / posting area.  

I just bought my first Skoda yesterday, I’m now the proud owner of a 2014 L&K Superb Mk2 and I absolutely love it 😁 

The ca has been looked after so well, it’s almost mint, just a couple of improvements here and there and it'll be like new. 

Has anyone had experience with touching up the chrome on any of the plastic interior areas of their cars? As you can see from the pic the chrome has cracked and chipped off here, it’s a little bit sharp so I do catch my fingers on it, it doesn’t hurt and there’s no risk of cuts, but I’m concerned it’s only going to get worse then crack and chip further. 

I was thinking some modelling paint might do the trick of touching it up, but it might need filling every so slightly first then touching up with some sort of paint. 

If anyone has any experience with this type of repair I’d love to hear about it, any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance guys 👍😎

Untitled.png

2 hours ago, WhitwickWindmill said:

I was thinking some modelling paint might do the trick

Not a chance; the "chrome" plating is actually vacuum plated nickel with a layer of chromium (which is transparent, and very sharp) over it, and no model paint even looks similar.

Thanks for the response guys, appreciate the feedback. Its more of a fill and patch required rather than a perfect finish, i probably wont be able to see it when im sat in the car, i kind of just need something there to fill the space so its not so sharp and if i can create some sort of shiny mirror like finish that would be spot on..........hmmmmmm its a tricky one. I might get a few different options together and try them out on some scrap plastic first, get it as close as i can then go from there. Cheers for the help guys 😁

The suggestion by Ken might be worth trying, but in chrome silver - I bet there are some nail varnishes out there that might get close. Try on a piece of scrap first as these are normally acetone-based.   

Superdoopa, I've managed to sourch one of these from Skoda in Leamington Spa. It's going to take a couple of day s to arrive, but ive managed to find it for £15.32 inc VAT. The part code, if you're interested is - 5E0713147

If anyone has any vids on how to change this, that would be awesome. I've found a few youtube vids for other shifters, but not this one yet 👍😎

• 2 weeks later...

My chrome button turned up from China and I fitted it today. I used a trim tool to pop the dsg badge off, then separated the left and right halves of the leather knob. This leaves the button accessible, and I sacrificed the 4 mounting tabs to remove it. I popped the new button on and reinstalled the other pieces. All good!