Burning too much coolant....?

Hi All

Have a 2014 Octavia.

Every couple of months I find the need to top up coolant (50% water \ 50% coolant).

As best i can tell there are no leaks ie puddles on the floor.

Anyone out there that knows about such things consider this is a bit too much as i do appreciate the purpose of coolant is to cool a very hot engine so some evaporation is to be expected.

Thoughts ..?

Kr

Are you topping it up because it has gone to MIN or below, & are you topping it to MAX?  No need to fill to MAX, as it gets at Services then just drops back to where it was. 

There is no 'FILL TO THIS LEVEL' mark, so if it sets it's own level between MIN & MAX that is fine.   

If it drops to MIN or below then find out where the leak is. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Smoothrunnings said:

i do appreciate the purpose of coolant is to cool a very hot engine so some evaporation is to be expected.

It's a sealed system, so unless it continues dropping rather than just dropping to a position such that "Min <= Level <= Max" and staying there I'd say situation normal.

• Like 1

I hope he isn't filling it to the top like my friend did on his first ever oil change on his first ever car, he told me that my advice of buying a gallon of oil was well wrong, he had to cycle into town two more times to get the close to 3 gallons that it really needed :sad:

@Smoothrunnings

What makes you believe that the coolant is being burned and not expelled?

33 minutes ago, Smoothrunnings said:

i do appreciate the purpose of coolant is to cool a very hot engine so some evaporation is to be expected.

It is a sealed pressurised system, no evaporation should or could take place, this has been the case on all vehicles for the last 80 years.

• Like 1

What's your average mileage between top ups? As it's a sealed system, it'll be going somewhere, and that's either natural wastage over time depending on dilution level, or indicative of a leak.

High mileage between top up will point towards the first point, or low towards the second but could be a very slow leak still if it's higher mileage between top ups... If it's a leak then it's either mixing with oil or exhaust gas, or leaking around heater matrix and you'll have damp spots in footwells.