Fitting Mercedes alloys to Skoda Yeri

Moorend

Hello the wheels on my Yeti 1.2 2010 petrol are a bit tired. I have some nice alloys off a Mercedes SL 280 1994, would it be possible to fit these with correct bolts etc?

Regards

Garth

• Haha 1

They both use 5x112 PCD, but the centre bore will probably be larger? 
Spigot rings can reduce this, then yes the bolts may need changing. 

Don’t forget to check the ET is similar on both sets of wheels. 

8 hours ago, Moorend said:

Hello the wheels on my Yeti 1.2 2010 petrol are a bit tired. I have some nice alloys off a Mercedes SL 280 1994, would it be possible to fit these with correct bolts etc?

Apart from the centre bore being too big (66.6mm vs 57.1mm), the Mercedes rims are too wide (perhaps 8.5J) and the offset is too low (perhaps ET34).

The Yeti uses M14x1.5 wheel bolts, whereas the Mercedes uses M12x1.5 wheel bolts. Check that the Yeti wheel bolts will fit through the wheel bolt holes in the Mercedes rims.

There are lots of nice alloy rims from various VAG cars over the years that will fit the Yeti. However, you would need to learn what a full rim specification looks like or you will keep selecting rims that don't fit properly.

The below is an example of a full rim specification.

7Jx16 ET45 5/112 57.1

7J is the rim width in inches

16 is the rim diameter in inches

ET45 is the offset in millimetres. ET is an abbreviation of the German word EinpressTiefe, which means offset in English.

5 are the number of wheel bolt holes in the rim

112 is the BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter) in millimetres

57.1 is the diameter of the centre bore in millimetres

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can't just go sticking any wheels on a car. Wheel dimensions & offsets are carefully calculated & matched to suit a car's handling characteristics.

Changing the alloys for some from another car risks changing the handling of the car. It could also cause ESP & ABS issues.

If you subsequently have an accident your insurers may take a very dim view of you using non-standard wheels on the car.

Edited by 137699
  • Like 1

I agree with 137699.   I've never heard of anyone (who seems, by their own admission, not to have much knowledge of these things anyway) wanting to take four completely incompatible wheels with different specs, sizes and specifications and expect to be able to put them on a car and for everything to be both legally and technically satisfactory.

But it does look as thought the OP is going to think again. which is the best thing to do.

I wonder why the wheels look "a bit tired" ? I can only think they've had a bit of a hard life and have been damaged and. perhaps, are discoloured from brake dust.  There are places that refurbish alloys and make then look like new.  That must be the easiest course of action provided they haven't been kerbed so hard as to distort them.  And dare I ask if the tyres are in good order?  I'm amazed at the number of tyres I see on cars parked up which are within a whisker of being illegal ... or actually illegal.

Hi, the wheels are steel and being old and having no hub caps are a bit sad looking.

we’ve got a set of really good Mercedes SL alloys with near new tyres and thought it might be possible to fit them, seems not!

thanks for info and advise.

what about VW Golf alloys?

regards

John Garth

@MoorendWelcome to the forum.

?

Are these wheels on your Yeti ones that a previous owner had fitted and left on before you bought it?   Guessing they are not the wheels it came with from the factory.

?

What actual size are the tyres fitted to them?

You might find wheels to suit your Yeti with tyres in the For Sale Section on the forum. 

Your Steel wheels might well sell on here to someone wanting winter wheels.

PS.

I take it that your Yeti is not a 2019 model, is that a typo?

Edited by toot

Yes, typo 2010

They are original steel wheels with plastic covers, some missing, all is standard as supplied. Brilliant little car which we got for a great price as it has a few dinks and scrapes.

Regards

John Garth

• 2 weeks later...