Slightly oily spark plug

2017 mk3 2.0tsi 37k miles.
Good or not good?

Furthest from the filling point, so highly unlikely over spill.....
Never topped up oil or seen blue smoke, only white like the TSI seems to do.
Tip is dry.

20230405_123749_compress75.jpg

20230405_123802_compress49.jpg

16 hours ago, RoddersUK said:

Ok, bit more research and its most probably the rocker cover gasket, just letting a bit through into the spark plug bore.

That's what I'd say. They are deep well plug recesses and the cam girdle cover joins the head quite a way down. Unless it's bad you don't really want to be doing that job! 

I'm not doing it, that amount of oil over 37k isn't a worry for now. We don't do many miles.

I'll check in 6 months and see what it's like, but it'll prob only have another 3k miles by then.

• 4 weeks later...

20230405_125020.thumb.jpg.e8d1176f52c3a16bd07a3d56f319f9e9.jpg20230405_125020.thumb.jpg.e8d1176f52c3a16bd07a3d56f319f9e9.jpg20230405_124758.thumb.jpg.c4b9e8e9031ad43a5590d4b17a3e8448.jpg20230405_125020.thumb.jpg.e8d1176f52c3a16bd07a3d56f319f9e9.jpgI have Skoda Fabia 2017 with 28000 km on it and the service manual states that you should change the sparkplugs after 60 K Km or 4 years. I have pulled a spark plug out but not sure if I should replace it. Could anyone help by looking at the pictures if I should replace them?

20230405_124839.jpg

They look good from the photos. Especially what you can see in the last side profile shot, if  all  4no. look like that. 

You may want to check gap but you do have to be careful with fine platinum tip plugs. It's probably likely they're slightly wider gap than spec by now.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheClient said:

They look good from the photos. Especially what you can see in the last side profile shot, if  all  4no. look like that. 

You may want to check gap but you do have to be careful with fine platinum tip plugs. It's probably likely they're slightly wider gap than spec by now.  

They are almost 6 years old and came with the car. I have been following all other maintenance schedule except the spark plugs change. I'm still not sure if it will be unnecessary expense or better to change them.

Yeah OK. 6 years. I probably would of bought replacements before pulling old ones to be honest. But you could run for longer, the kms very low.  it's all about your poker face. But seriously, they do look good, but at same time they are electrical items and do degrade, insulation, electrode wear, insulator break down. A failure would probably resulting a potential disruption to journey if on a long distance haul. If local you can probably limp home. Up to you. 

• Like 2

I very nearly posted this very thread myself as I did the spark plugs on my VRS weekend just gone an noticed the same. plug for cylinder 4 (going left to right) had quite a bit of oil on it. Not only that it had seized too. Once i got the plug out, I found that the metal washer was stuck angled on the plug thread. So I'm assuming that this was part of my oil issue as the plug wasn't seated correctly.

Plugs 2 & 3 were also under torqued, which speaks volumes about the level of servicing from the dealership.

From the research i did, bit of oil isn't anything to worry about. a lot of oil, likely the valve gasket as mentioned. believe it's actually a sealant rather that a gasket though.

Car doesn't get driven much so i'm going to monitor to see if the new plugs end up in the same state after a couple of months.