VRS 245 estate Handbrake adjustment

I have a 2019 Octavia VRS 245 DSG estate and for the last couple of months the handbrake warning light comes on at certain times - for example going over a bump, pothole or around a sharp corner - and you need to put your hand on the handbrake and push it down to get the light to go off.

i.e. it seems that the handbrake lever is very slightly 'loose' somehow and that it won't sit correctly in its fully down position. My assumption is simply that the handbrake cables need tightening.

Skoda are asking for ~£140 to do this, which obviously stings just to tighten up a handbrake. But it seems they are right in so far that the entire centre console needs to come out in order to get to the adjusting nut.

So a couple of things I'm wondering.

- Is simply tightening up this nut likely to resolve the issue

- Is it a straightforward task to remove the centre console and armrest to try and save paying Skoda to do it (and have the knowledge to sort it myself if it needs adjusting again in future).

If anyone has any advice let me know, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the response, been very delayed coming back to this sorry!

The handbrake generally feels ok and seems to hold the car fine when engaged, it is simply that it feels like there is some slack in the cable which is preventing it from sitting firmly in its off position. (leading to annoying warning light when driving along and having to press down on the handbrake after going over potholes etc)

I briefly investigated taking the centre console off myself in case it happens again, but don't really have time to figure it out and do it and don't really want to end up breaking some trim. More inclined to just pay for it as a one off as long as it doesn't re-occur quickly. (its due to go in next week for something else to be done under warranty anyway).

I am wondering if this is just something that has naturally happened over time or if its more likely that a caliper has been sticking in the past - causing the issue to occur.

Should I ask Skoda to also check the condition of the cables and whether calipers are functioning correctly at the same time. I'd hope they would do this anyway as part of the work.

• 3 months later...

Just to come back to this in case it helps anyone in future. I got this fixed a couple of months back, had an independent mobile mechanic pop by and he was able to loosen everything off around the centre console and disconnect the rear air vent in order to get some space to get a spanner onto the handbrake adjuster. Tightened it up and now it is back just how it should be. This cost £35 verses £140 Skoda dealer asked for. If he knew it was possible for it to be done that way without taking everything apart, I suspect that the dealer would too 🙄

• Like 1

I would keep an eye on your rear brake callipers. I had a handbrake lever that was in a similar state, and it eventually turned out to be a binding calliper. Had it replaced and after a few months it started again, and that was caused by the other side.

Yep, second @Squirrelz comment. My 2014 rear calipers are binding regularly, causing a tiny bit of play on the handbrake, sometimes enough to bring the warning light on. I'm awaiting funds to replace the calipers, until then, a squirt of lubrication on the handbrake pivot point is enough to free it off for a few months (being careful not to over spray) 

I don't think thats whats going on with mine, its been fine in the few months since the cable was tightened up. But yes something to keep an eye on thanks

14 hours ago, jimbojames said:

Yep, second @Squirrelz comment. My 2014 rear calipers are binding regularly, causing a tiny bit of play on the handbrake, sometimes enough to bring the warning light on. I'm awaiting funds to replace the calipers, until then, a squirt of lubrication on the handbrake pivot point is enough to free it off for a few months (being careful not to over spray) 

If you want red callipers I had to buy ones labelled as Audi S1 quattro - otherwise I just ended up with grey ones.

ie https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304303620320

Oh and get a pair, cheaper than buying one, then a few months later buying another 🙄

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Andoi said:

I don't think thats whats going on with mine, its been fine in the few months since the cable was tightened up. But yes something to keep an eye on thanks

If your handbrake goes slack again, I'd check out the rear calipers before tightening the cable again. 

For me, it's the actual pivot point inside the caliper. There's a rubber boot meant to keep out the junk, but it doesn't do a very good job at all. Only way to get to it properly is to strip down the caliper fully. 

And I've just come to give it a bit more of wd40 squirt to ease it off again, and one of the brake pads has fallen apart!! Didn't put them in too long ago, still plenty of thickness. I'm never buying brembo parts again, had nothing but poor quality from them over the last few years.