Replacement Front Shock Absorbers

Expatman

Bushes can also play a part in suspension and steering feel, but they are probably the same as well!

I've used Powerflex before, but they're not for comfort. I thought the Arona hire car we had last month rode well to be fair, and the 1.0 only struggled on the hilly bits.

Edited by Prezafab

1 hour ago, Expatman said:

But it is a combination of springs and dampers that provides ride characteristics. If they were the common to the Arona, T Cross and Kamiq then the ride would be much the same. In fact they ride very differently, the Kamiq is less sharp with a more supple ride while the Arona has a firmer ride and a more sporty setup. T Cross different again, not as soft as Kamiq but more supple than the Arona.

There are several variants of springs with minor (in the scheme of things)  differences in load rating and free length but the same ones identified by paint dot codes are used in models of the Touran, Yeti, Golf and Superb, you missed out the most critical component of any spring mass system, the mass!

The positioning of the suspension pick up points creates very different geometry in different vehicles, the size of anti-roll bars fitted and the chassis pick up points also makes a big difference.

Do you have anything to back up your assertion that Skoda specified dampers uniquely for the Yeti?

• Like 1

I do find that the Yeti handles very well indeed for such a tall vehicle, it feels more planted than its sister vehicle the MK2 Octavia which I had before it, many things about it feel and are so so similar but the ride and handling are very different yet use many identical components.

I did not have a 4x4 Octavia but would the rear crossmember with diff, driveshafts, suspension etc slot straight into a Yeti? Does the rear suspension differ?

The suspension looks like it has more travel but I think thats an illusion from the open wheel arches, the front struts I replaced seemed identical to the ones I removed on the Octavia to fit uprated Kilen springs, the identical part number to those I fitted to the Yeti.

Edited by J.R.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

There are several variants of springs with minor (in the scheme of things)  differences in load rating and free length but the same ones identified by paint dot codes are used in models of the Touran, Yeti, Golf and Superb, you missed out the most critical component of any spring mass system, the mass!

The positioning of the suspension pick up points creates very different geometry in different vehicles, the size of anti-roll bars fitted and the chassis pick up points also makes a big difference.

Do you have anything to back up your assertion that Skoda specified dampers uniquely for the Yeti?

No, nothing to back it up. I just know how different the damping feels on the Aron's compared to the Kamiq, both of which I have driven. The whole suspension feels different, the Arona is much more firmly damped and sporty compared with the softer Kamiq. I will be interested to see next week when the Monroe recommended front shocks on my Yeti are swapped for Skoda OEM shocks. Monroe data is that their replacement shocks are a direct OEM replacement for the Skoda shocks in my opinion they are not. 

Edited by Expatman

I've not driven any of the modern vehicles but my Yeti feels so different to the pretty much identical Octavia 2 it replaced but different in a way that I really did not expect, firmer and sportier, I would say its down to differences in the anti-roll bars and suspension angles but according to my logic the former would be the same 🤣

Well the Main Dealer replaced the front Monroe shocks with Skoda shock absorbers today. Now back to a very comfortable ride with all the sharpness when going over pot holes or speed bumps gone. Dealer replaced the top bearings/bushes at same time because when it is all stripped down thought it was sensible to do it.

Main difference, apart from riding smoother over rough roads, is just a more relaxed comfortable ride over normal UK roads i.e. not smooth but slightly broken up at best. The road “vibration” I got with the Monroe’s is completely gone which improves the driving experience. So now back to a new car feel. Great result and hats off to the dealer who did the work totally free of charge.

• Like 2

Good news. I know what to do if the Bilsteins don't work next week!

I've bought new shocks, springs, top mounts, bump stops/covers and drop links (might as well).

Not sure whereabouts you are, but in our part of North Yorkshire, the 'main town roads' are awful.

2 hours ago, Prezafab said:

Good news. I know what to do if the Bilsteins don't work next week!

I've bought new shocks, springs, top mounts, bump stops/covers and drop links (might as well).

Not sure whereabouts you are, but in our part of North Yorkshire, the 'main town roads' are awful.

Interesting to hear next week how the Bilsteins perform. The main difference is the smoothness of the ride, the Monroe’s had a "jiggly" feel that has completely gone with the new shocks. I can’t believe it is only Skoda OEM shocks that are any good and if you are fitting standard shocks then you should be fine.  Time will tell!!!

Its all a very personal thing, dampers, tyres, brake pad compounds ,,, thats what makes us human rather than a computer simulation a'la Matrix! 🙂

Glad your satisfied with your result.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from me:-

Fitted Bilstein shocks & springs plus Febi Bilstein top mounts & drop links, Sachs bump stop kit.

Parts were £298 - I wanted as good as I could get, not the cheapest. Plus 3 hours labour.

All good so far - the compliance has returned over sharp ridges, which it was crashing into before.

Seems back to how it used to be after 97,000 miles, which is what I wanted. Compliant, settled.

Take care when ordering the shocks - Bilstein and others list two types depending on the chassis code (as mentioned above, 50 or 55mm circumference).

The Bilstein shocks and springs are very good. We have some truly terrible main country roads around us and while it's not transformed, it's less crashy now and rounds off the worst of things.

They 'feel' the same as the original ones (from memory, but we've had a few Yetis). One difference is that the cornering in tighter turns is definitely sharper, with less roll as the weight transfers. I guess that's a combination of all the bits we've had fitted after nearly 100,000 miles.