Clutch Temperature Warning

I had a warning ping up yesterday to say my clutch temperature was high but it was OK to continue driving. 

I was surprised as it's a manual car and I hadn't been maneuvering or even changed gear for a few minutes. 

I've only heard of clutch temp warnings on DSG cars, does anyone know if manual cars have a clutch temperature sensor or is this more likely to be another software bug? 

4 hours ago, BacktoaVRS said:

I had a warning ping up yesterday to say my clutch temperature was high

Could you smell hot friction material? If not, I'd suspect another (previously undocumented) bug.

9 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Could you smell hot friction material? If not, I'd suspect another (previously undocumented) bug.

Nope, and we hadn't been doing anything that would have put any strain on the clutch either. 

Edited by BacktoaVRS

2 hours ago, BacktoaVRS said:

Nope, and we hadn't been doing anything that would have put any strain on the clutch either. 

OK; well the only times I've got my clutch hot I could smell it.

• 8 months later...

No, my car went in for checks and nothing was found, (this was after it also threw a clutch error) .

Apparently the clutch error indicated the clutch had slipped, still monitoring it but worst case could be a new clutch! 

Not impressed as I've only done 14k miles and try not to do anything that would wear a clutch but apparently the warranty on a clutch is only 6k miles! 

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag this up, but I got the same, message on the motorway (ie when clutch wasn't under particular strain).
Several times "Temperature high, continue driving"

a couple of times "Temperature high, stop driving and see dealer"

Taking it into Skoda was a complete waste of time as usual - nothing recorded on the system, and cannot replicate the problem - basically like every single other electronic issue I've had with the Mk4. very frustrating. Never had a single issue with any other of my Octavias going right back to mk1.

On 08/04/2023 at 19:17, BacktoaVRS said:

does anyone know if manual cars have a clutch temperature sensor or is this more likely to be another software bug? 

They do not, are you absolutely sure that the error message said clutch temperature high?

8 hours ago, Dr_Pepper said:

I got the same, message on the motorway (ie when clutch wasn't under particular strain).
Several times "Temperature high, continue driving"

a couple of times "Temperature high, stop driving and see dealer"

No mention of clutch in those messages, what makes you think it was? Did you look at the water temperature guage? What was it reading?

Pretty useless warning if it does not specify what temperature was too high, the obvious one would be the engine coolant but I can think of a dozen other temperature sensors and none of them are the clutch.

These later vehicles are just a pi55 take :sad:

I would give you an update on what happened with mine but… I didn’t do anything other than a normal service and I haven’t had the message since. Bizarre. 

I 've had the error a number of times now, I'm unable to capture a picture as it only appears for a few seconds but definitely does say clutch temperature. 

Worryingly on one occasion it was also followed by clutch fault. 

Skoda dealership also couldn't find any issues. 

Yes sorry for confusion it definitely said Clutch Temperature high, 100%. Just while motorway driving, it's come up a few times but didn't on my most recent long trip

For what it's worth my car was a Jan 2020 when they were very new, and I've had no end of electrical error gremlins, some of which still persist - skoda say everything's fine. Others include the radio randomly switching itself off in the middle of a drive, sat nav taking two attempts to input an address, constant bonging about "take over driving" and "stay in the middle of the lane" even though I already am. Total joke. Only reason I'm keeping it now is they've stopped doing the manual vrs which is the only one I was interested in. Never had any problem with the car itself mechanical etc, and this is the first of my skodas that's ever given me any grief after owning 5 now...

On 29/01/2024 at 08:19, Dr_Pepper said:

Yes sorry for confusion it definitely said Clutch Temperature high, 100%. Just while motorway driving, it's come up a few times but didn't on my most recent long trip

For what it's worth my car was a Jan 2020 when they were very new, and I've had no end of electrical error gremlins, some of which still persist - skoda say everything's fine. Others include the radio randomly switching itself off in the middle of a drive, sat nav taking two attempts to input an address, constant bonging about "take over driving" and "stay in the middle of the lane" even though I already am. Total joke. Only reason I'm keeping it now is they've stopped doing the manual vrs which is the only one I was interested in. Never had any problem with the car itself mechanical etc, and this is the first of my skodas that's ever given me any grief after owning 5 now...

I can sympathise, mine's a 2021 plate but I've also had my fair share of software issues, though since the update to SW1941 it does seem to have mainly behaved itself, apart from an occasional unexpected restart.

I also want a manual car over a DSG, I have that read that the clutches in the manuals aren't the strongest but 15k miles seems ridiculous so I hope it is another glitch.

I suspect not though, it does seem to be reproducable especially when accelerating in a high gear from low rpms which I understand puts a higher load on the clutch? I'm trying to avoid doing this, but I'm very disappointed that Skoda seem to think this is an acceptable length of life for a clutch. 

If it does come to having to have it replaced, does anyone know if the dealers would fit a stronger clutch or would I need to go to a 3rd party for that? I don't see the point of replacing with the same part if this is likely to happen again!