Tow Bar Preparation (again - sorry.)

Trevor M

I am considering a new 150 TSI SEL Karoq with which I will be wanting to tow. Having seen some of the confusion surrounding the requirement for Tow Bar Preparation (TBP,) and not wishing to go through this again in detail, I wondered if some kind owners of the current version of the above model could please check their VIN plates and let me know the Max Train Weight (I think that is the right name for it) shown, and whether that is with or without TBP.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Trevor M
Slight addition re. TBP.

The tow bar prep consists of adding suitable wiring and an ‘upgraded’ radiator grille and fan to improve cooling.  The max tow weight is the same for any given model, though Skoda would no doubt say you shouldn’t tow without having the appropriate prep.

I had a factory fitted tow bar and it works brilliantly, though I only use it for a bike rack.

• Like 1

Thanks for responding Greentree. I am aware of the changes with Tow Bar Prep, but for certain models (eg Scala and Kamiq,) I understand that not only do Skoda say you should not tow without  Prep, they actually mark the VIN plate with ZERO train weight so it is apparently illegal to fit a tow bar (this is stated in the small print in the technical data section of the online brochure;) indeed I have seen reports where fitters have refused to fit towbars to these vehicles for this reason. Hence my request above for owners to check the details on their VIN plates for me to make sure as far as possible what the situation is for the Karoq.

I would still like to hear VIN details from owners of the current TSI 150 SEL version of the Karok if possible please. Would also be interested  to hear if anyone tows a caravan with a factory fitted bar and if so, whether the fridge and battery charging function correctly please (and thanks in advance.)

It really matters not what others have.  There are Skoda models without factory preparation or a factory fit towbar that have been Plated with the towing weights.  Others might not have and can not tow.  Dealers and tow bar fitters will not or should not fit tow bars / tow balls.    That does not mean a device just like a tow bar and with a ball does not get fitted to fix carriers for bikes or luggage boxes do not get fitted.  Those are out there, people buy those cars and might well end up towing a trailer illegally.  

There is a tow bar in the accessories brochure (it is under the photo), for those with tow bar prep.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/d0ba0841-dcb0-462f-9c23-21fe72de6185

Oddly although Karoq only has one option, if you look at Scala accessories brochure, there are 4 options, for cars with and without serial preparation, fixed and folding versions.  No idea why varies by models.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/8647599d-f1fa-45ee-a208-9f8051d1a282

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I now know what I need to do: if I go for new I will do as Greentree suggests and spec. it with at least TBP, and probably also a factory fitted tow bar; if I go for nearly new I will double check it has the correct VIN figures. Thanks also to Williami33 for confirming the fridge and battery charging functions work correctly.

SurryJohn, I will have a look at the brochure links you have provided, thanks.