Under tray

Dadd10

Lucky enough the under tray came loose which led me to some oil leak

Most likely old oil

my question is why is my under tray made of some kind of cloth fibre and not plastic? 

IMG_4067.jpeg

IMG_4064.jpeg

Hi, not sure but happy to be corrected, I believe the undertray is made from structural fabric unless you have the "rough road kit", which is a structural plastic (Tepex?) to protect vulnerable areas and brake pipes etc.

I sure someone will confirm or update my statement.

hope it helps. 🙂

Edited by TruckbusUK
additional info

3 hours ago, Dadd10 said:

why is my under tray made of some kind of cloth fibre and not plastic

My guess would be for sound damping as the complex fibre surface will dissapate sound better than a hard plastic surface.

Thanks for the reply’s guys, I need some way of securing it so I can drive it to be repaired. As it’s dragging on the road was thinking maybe a shoe lace through it to one of the water pipes, what do you think?

4 hours ago, TruckbusUK said:

Hi, not sure but happy to be corrected, I believe the undertray is made from structural fabric unless you have the "rough road kit", which is a structural plastic (Tepex?) to protect vulnerable areas and brake pipes etc.

I sure someone will confirm or update my statement.

hope it helps. 🙂

Mine is plastic but certainly could not be described as structural or even fibre reinforced, its polyethylene with a plasic covered foam chocolate bar type matrix on top for acoustics and to catch oil, bolts, washers and 10mm Snap On combination spanners.

Mine is the Outdoor model but nothing on it is tougher or rugged than the other models, they just wanted it to look that way, -  they failed!

+1 for tywraps, bodging material of choice for most everything.

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Mine is plastic but certainly could not be described as structural or even fibre reinforced, its polyethylene with a plasic covered foam chocolate bar type matrix on top for acoustics and to catch oil, bolts, washers and 10mm Snap On combination spanners.

Mine is the Outdoor model but nothing on it is tougher or rugged than the other models, they just wanted it to look that way, -  they failed!

+1 for tywraps, bodging material of choice for most everything.

Fairy doo's J.R. we have 2 Yeti ( is that the plural ?) in the family, ours an L&K Outdoor 4WD and has the optional rough road kit which is defo more than polyethylene as I suggested maybe Tepex, but the other is a Yeti City? FWD version and it has a structural fabric moulded under tray ... both are facelift versions wonder why there seems to be so many variants of an undertray fitted during the life time of the model .. seems a bit excessive 🤔

My first Yeti didn't have the Rough Road Package but I can confirm that although the undertray doesn't look very strong mine got numerous severe batterings on forestry tracks and was fine and surprisingly strong. The second Yeti had the RRP and the plastic "sump guard" was very strong and got similar batterings.

• Like 4

Imiht be wrong, I use an oil suction pump now so dont get so frequently intimate with the undertray as on previous vehicles, I chnaged the clutch 18 months ago and would have noticed if it were fibrous construction.

I'm sure its strong enough to return to form after bumping something but offers no real protection to the sump etc, brake lines are well out of the way, the diesel heat exchanger is very exposed. I use the term as I have never really understood its function or the need for it, I cant see why you would cool a compression ignition fuel or heat waxy fuel after the engine has started, perhaps it heats it on the return, in any case its very exposed even to a jack slipping.

• Like 2

We ordered the Rough Road Package from new along with some other stuff, and it is of a composite - doesn't look like fibreglass and certainly not carbon fibre, but very stiff and bash resistant.

Like Graham, I drive a lot of gravel tracks very frequently (and the odd rocky diversion when in a hurry to find an errant vehicle)  , so bears many scars but is still very effective in protecting the low hanging oil collecting point in the sump casting.

Obviously different materials for different models and usage. The only part that suffers is the stupid bit of lower bumper which acts as a plough and warns/ signals of depression entry angles. Bit scarred now but not really visible ☺️

• Like 1

Nice to hear of one being well used, mine does its off roading in the shell craters of what will eventually be my garden, pulling down old buildings and pulling out big trailers loaded with the debris.

I am very very impressed with the traction of the 4wd system, it has pulled out concrete fence posts on wet ground with worn summer tyres where my 4WD Kobota mini tractor has spun the wheels even when stamping on the rear diff lock, the extra weight makes a lot of difference.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 2