Cold air intake

I've been considering ordering a cold air intake for my mk2 vrs to unlock some induction noises and to also get rid of the factory engine cover airfilter housing as mine has broken in half. 

But I'm worried that it may cause issues with the MAF sensor. What are people's experiences with this, have you had any issues or is it just bolt on and enjoy?

I've only had one car where a cold air intake made any noticeable difference - that was a Citroen C1/Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo Mk1 where the air intake was directly above the exhaust manifold and took in heated air, adding a pipe to directly take in cold air from the front grille did make a small (but noticeable) difference in hotter summer weather.

Edited by PetrolDave

• 2 weeks later...

I have on MK2 VRS (2007). with Ramair JSK-120-BK intake air kit. No problems with MAF.

I have only one question. I have made few changes: (no DPF, no EGR, new sport FOX exhaust (middle and last part), inter cooler-S3, plastic with flaps to ALU intake manifold,tuning stage 1-2...) 170->...200HP

Is it better to leave original box with sport air filter or to leave it like now. Sound for me is super. But i have a feeling like a suction hole, when i press the padel.

20210722_184756.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The k&n filter in previous cars was really just to have a lifetime filter. 

I actually had an induction kit in a 307 i had years ago, it definitely made it a little louder. 

But yeah, im not keen on wasting £300 if its not much difference, i could get a remap for that price. 

• Like 1

If set up correctly, an induction system should always improve the breathability and in turn the performance over just an 'Panel Air filter'.

I had one set up with a cold air feed on my mk3 Golf which certainly made a noticeable difference when coupled with a performance exhaust.

I installed the Carbon Dynamic Airbox (CDA) from BMC, which I would highly recommend: https://www.bmcairfilters.com/en

Modern airboxes are designed to supply excess air while also being tuned to the engine (length, turbulence,etc). So an aftermarket intake would need to be something special and combined with a high flow exhaust and tune to get the most from it. Simply chucking an intake on a stock car will often lead to worse performance.