Hillhold

My wife has recently bought a June 2018 Fabia 1.0TSi (110) SEL with a manual gearbox.

Should this car have Hillhold?  The driver manual & brochure seem to suggest it should (as do Autotrader listings), but either the car doesn't have it fitted or its not operating. 

7 minutes ago, philbes said:

My wife has recently bought a June 2018 Fabia 1.0TSi (110) SEL with a manual gearbox.

Should this car have Hillhold?  The driver manual & brochure seem to suggest it should (as do Autotrader listings), but either the car doesn't have it fitted or its not operating. 

Oops, my mistake - the car is June 2019

Are you sure that it has not got the "light weight/cheap" version of HillHold - if you stop on an incline, and press, hold, then release the brake pedal, the car should be held on the brakes, all of them, for maybe 3,4 or 5 seconds, then release and the car will move down the incline.

So, the plan is only to provide braking for the short time the driver needs to get their foot from the brake pedal to clutch pedal > down, then release, then off you move.

You need to read your PR Codes to know for sure if you have this (mine is UG1 Hill Hold Control) they can be decoded from your VIN by dealer, web chat to Skoda or paying someone on eBay.

This is how it operates on my car, and it does work.  Was going to post it only works for 2 seconds, so you do need to be quick.

See if you can test this on a hill somewhere, ideally a layby.

image.png.bfdeb6bcf63878fdea89b6f2d478990c.png

As I said in last my post - the car moves as soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal.

I know of a web-site that lists the option codes for the 2018-2019 Fabia but yet to find the label in our car. Not in the usual place in the boot, as in my Seat Leon. 

35 minutes ago, philbes said:

As I said in last my post - the car moves as soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal.

I know of a web-site that lists the option codes for the 2018-2019 Fabia but yet to find the label in our car. Not in the usual place in the boot, as in my Seat Leon. 

That list in the car if found won't be the complete list anyway.

Maybe yours was not fitted with it, a VIN lookup is only way, a webchat to Skoda UK, or visit a friendly dealer as they might print that off.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response.  I'll contact the Skoda dealer where we bought the car. 

A little annoying if it's not 'fitted' as the driver's manual & the brochure both list it as being a standard feature of the car. 

Although neither my wife or me have any problem performing hill starts the old fashioned way by balancing the clutch & manual handbrake. 

• Like 2

The description of what you need to request maybe at the selling dealers' parts department, is "CAR DATA" - I've always asked for that to have every time someone in our family buys a new or used VW Group car, some dealer's parts department know where to access that from your reg, others play dumb and need to be giving a nudge!

I could be wrong here, but I think that the minimum requirement for a car to have HillHold is to have an ESP compliant ABS controller, now I would have thought all modern VW Group car would have ESP and if so, why is Skoda being stupid and not enabling a system like that. 

Edit:- correction, why is Skoda not enabling a driver aid when everything built into the car is already in place - except ticking a box to allow it to operate.

Edited by rum4mo
Added/changed a bit
  • Like 1

EU Legislation made ESP (ESC) compulsory in 2014.

Most manufacturers had it as standard for years before that yet Skoda still had it as an optional extra with some Mk2 Fabia right up to them being discontinued.

VW Group / Skoda have many things fitted to cars that require paying to have operational. 

Stuff that is there and part of a vehicle you own and can enable if you know how to or know a man or woman that can. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Mrs' 2019 Colour Edition didn't have HHC enabled when she bought it new.... Due to issues with the delivery I asked if the dealer could enable it as way of an apology to which they later came back saying their service guys had looked into it but it couldn't be enabled on our car. 

A couple of days later I just enabled it myself using Carista in a couple of minutes and living in Sheffield you can rest assured it's gotten used every day since.

• Like 1

According to the relevent owners manual & brochure the 2019 Fabia has HHC. So if the Colour Edition  & SEL don't then which versions do have HHC?

20 hours ago, philbes said:

According to the relevent owners manual & brochure the 2019 Fabia has HHC. So if the Colour Edition  & SEL don't then which versions do have HHC?

I've just looked at the 2019 Fabia UK brochure and i can't see any mention of HHC for any spec level S, SE, SEL, Colour Edition or MC. Previously I've only ever seen it as a dealer option for around £100-200.

https://autocatalogarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Skoda-Fabia-2019-UK.pdf

Edited by WaveyDavey

10 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

I've just looked at the 2019 Fabia UK brochure and i can't see any mention of HHC for any spec level S, SE, SEL, Colour Edition or MC. Previously I've only ever seen it as a dealer option for around £100-200.

https://autocatalogarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Skoda-Fabia-2019-UK.pdf

I'm away at the moment but will check when back home.