Spax springs

Hi,

First post so be nice

I own a superb 2.5 tdi. Ive got khan 18" wheels on order.

A friend of mine swears blind that since buying Spax lowering springs for his passat that the handling has improved etc.

Ive read loads on the forums here about springs and about what could happen.

What i want to know i suppose what is the likely effect of changing just the springs?

How will this effect the ride (yes i can guess that the ride will be harder), however how about the handling?

What is good and bad about doing just springs? will this wreck another part of the suspension?

I seek your advice so please give it to a person willing to learn.

p.s. anyone know a good place to get details on how to change this on a superb? I can get hold of haynes for passat but cant find anything for superb.

Ta again

Mav

Welcome to Briskoda.net

I'll try to aswer your quetions, but if I get something wrong, someone will correct me.

Changing you springs only will shorten the life of your dampers as they will be under more/constant pressure. The best option would be either springs & damper kit or coilovers (height adjustable) which is the

I am in the same boat as fluffy01016 here as I have fitted KW Variant 1 coilovers.

I do not understand why people just fit springs on their own and I can only think that it must be a cost issue?

Your biggest problem will be the 'bouncy' ride you get with just fitting springs, this is exaggerated more with heavy cars and if you have the 2.5 engine then I would not recommend just fitting springs, you will wear the dampers out quickly and be 'bouncing' all down the road.

IMO you would be better off getting a kit similar to fluffy01016, which I believe was reasonable in price?

Alternatively, get the springs and if it doesn't feel right, uprate the dampers later but this will come at an extra fitment cost later on down the line.

I'm going to have to disagree here with the comments on spring only change.

I have only the Eibach springs fitted, and yes it is due to cost and that it's a lease car.

I have covered 30,000 miles in 14 months, it isn't bouncy, and handles well. No doubt a full coilover kit would be even better, but for me it is a good compromise.

With all the scare stories around, I spoke to Eibach UK regards the premature shock absorber wear before I went ahead. They assured me it has been designed to work with OE shocks. This has proved to be the case so far.

My car is a 1.9 PDi Elegance, but it is slightly heavier than the usual, as it has lots of Dynamat (sound deadening to improve car audio quality) and I.C.E. equipment.

I can't vouch for SPAX, but I can recommend the Eibach's.:thumbup: They also have two versions for the Superb, a 2.5 version and a 1.9 version. I asked why this was the case, and they told me it was due to the extra weight on the 2.5. It seems thay have thought this through!

I was going to go slight off Topic ad ask about Eibachs, but you bet me to it.

Its some Eibach springs I'm looking at in the next few months...

BTW - Fluffy, how heavy are your 19's compare to a Standard Skoda Alloy? Has fuel economy been affect all?

BTW - Fluffy, how heavy are your 19's compare to a Standard Skoda Alloy? Has fuel economy been affect all?

Not sure about the weight difference. I get roughly 45 mpg driving a mix of A roads and town driving. Can get 52 mpg driving at 60 mph, but I had a dragon digital fitted at roughly the same time so not sure of before and after mpg

I'm going to have to disagree here with the comments on spring only change.

I have only the Eibach springs fitted' date=' and yes it is due to cost and that it's a lease car.

I have covered 30,000 miles in 14 months, it isn't bouncy, and handles well. No doubt a full coilover kit would be even better, but for me it is a good compromise.

With all the scare stories around, I spoke to Eibach UK regards the premature shock absorber wear before I went ahead. They assured me it has been designed to work with OE shocks. This has proved to be the case so far.

My car is a 1.9 PDi Elegance, but it is slightly heavier than the usual, as it has lots of Dynamat (sound deadening to improve car audio quality) and I.C.E. equipment.

I can't vouch for SPAX, but I can recommend the Eibach's.:thumbup: They also have two versions for the Superb, a 2.5 version and a 1.9 version. I asked why this was the case, and they told me it was due to the extra weight on the 2.5. It seems thay have thought this through![/quote']

Fair comment mate, I did not mean to say that running springs was a 'stupid' idea just that in my experience and on previous cars I believe that you can easily tell whether a car has been lowered on springs or springs and shocks as the ride quality is very different, especially on heavy cars.

As for Eibach, my previous car used a Eibach Pro Damper Kit, had it on there for 4 years and it was a great kit, although not low enough for my liking, LOL!!

If you get lowered springs from a company that knows what they are doing, then they don't just shorten the standard spring, if they did that you'd be hitting the bump stops all the time, and would wreck the dampers.

What a sensible company will do is use a higher rate spring so that it is harder to compress, so you don't hit the stops. That is why the ride becomes harder. Harder springs will actually reduce shock absorber wear - why? because the wheels won't be moving up and down so much, and its movement that wears shocks.

The other effect of lowering is that it lowers the centre of gravity, and this, combined with the firmer springs, gives less body roll. If that encourages you to take corners much faster, then you might need firmer shocks to control wheel movement a bit more, but most people just want the car to look better, and don't go anywhere near the limit of the standard suspension, so fit lower springs and you should be fine.

Thanks Guys you have given me a lot to think about. I think i will avoid the Spax and go with the EU something something :) and ill have a chat with them about the spring hardness.

I really appreciate your help guys.

Mav

p.s. when i finally get my bits done (should be soon) ill post a nice pic or twelve. It's a pretty car i cant help it :)

p.s. when i finally get my bits done (should be soon) ill post a nice pic or twelve. It's a pretty car i cant help it :)

Get some pics up mate, let's see that motor and what you have done to it!!

Thankyou all for your advice on this. I ordered my Eibach springs (had it confirmed that they will not ruin the dampners or any part of the suspension. I was told that they are softer on the edges to do normal suspension however the centre is harder for severe driving. This will not affect anything else or wear out anything unduly. I even offered to buy the lot and they said dont bother unless ur doing severe driving)

all ordered my Kahn wheels RS-C if you wanna go check em out.

When all is done ill post stuff.

p.s. anyone know where to get a manual on how to fit theis :D

Mav

Thankyou all for your advice on this. I ordered my Eibach springs (had it confirmed that they will not ruin the dampners or any part of the suspension. I was told that they are softer on the edges to do normal suspension however the centre is harder for severe driving. This will not affect anything else or wear out anything unduly. I even offered to buy the lot and they said dont bother unless ur doing severe driving)

all ordered my Kahn wheels RS-C if you wanna go check em out.

When all is done ill post stuff.

p.s. anyone know where to get a manual on how to fit theis :D

Mav

Eibach is a good choice mate, you won't be dissappointed.

Looking forward to seeing the car with those Kahn wheels on mate, lovely!!

So what drop are the eibach springs? 30mm?

35mm

Not sure about insurence though. dont know how happy they will be about it :(.

will they even notice?

They will probably notice if you have an accident but it's up to you if you decide to inform them or not?

Probably worth doing this when you have had them fitted and you can tell if it's noticable?

Woohoo

Im with Privilege insurence and got a quote. The spings and wheels costs £1200, then increases to insurence will be £85 (excess will increase to £450 from £250.) with intercooler, remapping (remapping is no charge as it is same chip. chipping would invalidate the insurence and they wont touch it), exhaust, wheel and springs then it will be £121. Downer is my excess will increase to £550.

So guess ill be doing that then :D

When I had my Vectra GSI, I was paying a fortune for insurance (£600) with Adrian Flux. No normal company would touch me because I had spent £4000 on mods. I think that large insurers are now getting wise to the mods market and offering competative insurance.