Felicia overheated, oil in coolant, fault code on coolant temp. sensor, stalls occasionally

Hey all, please I need advice. I apologize for the long text and multiple problems.

I have a 1998 Felicia 1.3MPI with 115 000km.As I mentioned in the title, there are a few problems with the car.

(I bought the car from my friends grandpa, he was the first owner and did only 98 000km in 23 years)

About 2 years ago, the serpentine belt snapped, I didn´t know what happened so I continued the ride home (around 5-10 minutes) and, obviously, when I stopped the coolant tank was bubbling and steaming. I replaced the belt, started and checked the car and it seemed okay. No white smoke from exhaust, and I checked the oil periodically (seemed okay) and stayed without emulsion up until like 2 months ago when I did an oil change.

Now the problem is, I noticed some oil spots in the coolant tank and a noticeable discoloration of the coolant(it became a lot darker and cloudier). The coolant wasn´t changed for at least 2 years, might possibly be even longer.

The second issue is with a coolant temperature sensor. The car (when left cold overnight) started only on 3 cylinders, which resolved itself after a few seconds of running and bit of a throttle. I changed the coolant temp. sensor, which resolved the issue for a year, then the car started to occasionally stall and die when idling. I used a VCDS-Lite which shows a coolant temp. sensor fault code. I bought a cheap new one, and it didn´t resolve the issue. (Cleared the fault code, came on back after a while.)

I changed the fuel filter to be sure, it was the original one from the factory with black gasoline pouring out of it, so needed a change anyways. :)

So my questions are:

- I suppose it is possible that the overheat incident with the old coolant may have destroyed the head gasket. Is there anything I should do or check before I jump into changing the gasket? And, also, please let me know if my hypothesis of faulty head gasket is correct.

- Anything else I can do before/after buying a better coolant temp sensor?

- Should I clean/check more parts of the fuel system (regarding the dirty fuel filter)?

Thank you for your time and help in advance.

Adrian

43 minutes ago, Krieger said:

Anything else I can do before/after buying a better coolant temp sensor?

- Should I clean/check more parts of the fuel system (regarding the dirty fuel filter)?

Check my posts, you will find photos of damaged cables from my coolant sensor, mine has Blue ring.

Check your spark plugs.

Cleaning the injectors and checking the fuel pressure regulator is a "must" since the car wasn't maintenend.

@Thefeliciahacker had a similar problem with you, has a thread for this with videos.

• Thanks 1

@Krieger

1.  "I suppose it is possible that the overheat incident with the old coolant may have destroyed the head gasket. Is there anything I should do or check before I jump into changing the gasket? And, also, please let me know if my hypothesis of faulty head gasket is correct.
  2. - Anything else I can do before/after buying a better coolant temp sensor?
  3. - Should I clean/check more parts of the fuel system (regarding the dirty fuel filter)?"

1.  That's possible yes. Have a compression test done. I think a dry test will be enough if you suspect HGF and not worn or broken piston rings.

2.  Do the compression test first, then think about the CTS.

3.  Check the fuel filter in a couple of months and if it contains sh!t, change it again.

• Thanks 1

On 17/05/2023 at 16:32, Krieger said:

- I suppose it is possible that the overheat incident with the old coolant may have destroyed the head gasket. Is there anything I should do or check before I jump into changing the gasket? And, also, please let me know if my hypothesis of faulty head gasket is correct.

That althought it doesnt seem like much WAS A SURE HG failure...

- Anything else I can do before/after buying a better coolant temp sensor?

Check wiring

I dont think thats the issue

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your helpful responses.
I'd also like to ask which brand of the new head gasket I should buy. I don't want to buy a crap one and have it fail on me soon.
The brands I can choose from are: Starline, Febi, Elring and Victor Reinz.

I will keep this thread updated to the end result.

On 21/05/2023 at 17:25, Krieger said:

I'd also like to ask which brand of the new head gasket I should buy. I don't want to buy a crap one and have it fail on me soon

If you see my video I've  choosen payen bt581 the green one, it's the only gasket made to more modernish standards, it has a ptfe coating, eliminating the need for those colorful lines which is sealant placed on top of the paper. 

Plus in theory it should offer better corrosion protection. 

So that was my choice since all the other brands use the original TEMAC Czech design, which is not up to modern standards. 

Edited by Thefeliciahacker

Update 1:

Took down the head. Here are some pics. I think it confirms my/our suspicion of head gasket eaten by coolant.

The bloated parts on the gasket are 3-4mm high. Also after I removed the gasket, there is a hard pinkish/brown residue on the head itself, looks like a 10yr old cooking fat behind a stove. I'm scraping it with a plastic scraper. Also there are spots which are eaten away/recessed into the head itself, with rough surface, they aren't (for the most part) near cooling or oil galleys or the combustion chamber, but I still seek advice from you whether to do something with them.

IMG_20230527_140324.jpg

IMG_20230527_140329.jpg

Okay so here is the head after some non-invasive :D cleaning, I did a fast check with straight edge and feeler gauges, it doesn't seem warped. Though there are corroded parts of the surface (circled red-major ones) and also all the spots which aren't shiny are corroded in a way. Now I will do a thorough flatness check. The question is:

•lets say the head is flat within spec, should I give it to a machine shop to get rid of the spots? Most of them are away from holes, though some little ones are near.

IMG_20230527_153405.jpg