Wheel Bearing 280

Sounds like I may have a wheel bearing on the way out on the nearside front. I cant hear it inside but an eagle eared mate heard it yesterday are they a weak point or am I just unlucky ?

Thanks guys I'm at 44k have warranty but suspect it wont be covered. It might not be a bearing ! I'll update when sorted.

Just now, Nick_H said:

Thanks guys I'm at 44k have warranty but suspect it wont be covered. It might not be a bearing ! I'll update when sorted.

I was sure mine wasn't a bearing since the noise didn't change with cornering forces. It just came on over a fairly narrow speed range around 50mph. I went out with the technician to demonstrate the noise, he said pretty sure it was a wheel bearing and when they jacked it up he said they could feel roughness. Wheel bearing changed and problem went away.

• Like 1

i had my left rear wheel bearing replaced last year.  all is well now.

i've had the car since new, MY17, done 75k kms now.

• Like 1

Get a tin of silicone spray and coat the lower arm bushes and the ball joint and see if the noise goes away. 
Had more than a few that sounded like a bearing but didn’t change under load, and it was what I can only assume to be NVH from the bushes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news I suppose .... Dealer says nothing wrong with bearings and says probably uneven tyre wear ... It was a strange sound at 4mph as I walked alongside the car but who knows ? It's booked in for 2 new SP4's on the front on Friday so if it goes away I'll eat humble pie ...

• Like 2