Skoda Connect - worth it?

marineboy

I’m coming up to a year’s ownership of my Kamiq and have just received an invitation to renew Connect at £36. I’m interested in other peoples view of whether this is worthwhile. In my case, I use Apple Maps for navigation and finding POIs etc. The car doesn’t have a pre-heater so that facility is no use to me. I have never used the honk and flash other than to see if it worked (which it does). I have occasionally checked that the car is locked when I’m away from it but occasionally it has told me that it is unlocked when it is not. Time to service I can check on the infotainment display. The only feature of any benefit to me is the notification of the alarm being activated, which has given me peace of mind when I had to park for a few weeks on a London street. I can’t see the point of the other notifications of speed or area. 

So I’m minded to let my subscription lapse. Or are there any other benefits that I’m missing?

On 24/05/2023 at 07:33, marineboy said:

I’m coming up to a year’s ownership of my Kamiq and have just received an invitation to renew Connect at £36. I’m interested in other peoples view of whether this is worthwhile. In my case, I use Apple Maps for navigation and finding POIs etc. The car doesn’t have a pre-heater so that facility is no use to me. I have never used the honk and flash other than to see if it worked (which it does). I have occasionally checked that the car is locked when I’m away from it but occasionally it has told me that it is unlocked when it is not. Time to service I can check on the infotainment display. The only feature of any benefit to me is the notification of the alarm being activated, which has given me peace of mind when I had to park for a few weeks on a London street. I can’t see the point of the other notifications of speed or area. 

So I’m minded to let my subscription lapse. Or are there any other benefits that I’m missing?

Connect is £44 MyŠkoda app is £33 i use the app as a tracking device in case it gets pinched. The connect is so you can get updates. traffic alerts. Wi-Fi hotspot. Lura online. And more

That's interesting. It never occurred to me that the parking location could be used as a tracking device in case of theft. The other stuff - traffic alerts, wifi hotspot - my iPhone provides that, and Siri in my view is superior to Laura. And the renewal price for Connect is definitely £36.

On 25/05/2023 at 10:21, marineboy said:

That's interesting. It never occurred to me that the parking location could be used as a tracking device in case of theft. The other stuff - traffic alerts, wifi hotspot - my iPhone provides that, and Siri in my view is superior to Laura. And the renewal price for Connect is definitely £36.

Lura is for inside car not just internet. Like asking call contact 

• 1 month later...
On 29/05/2023 at 19:36, Seasider said:

If you set privacy to minimum and your car is pinched, I understand that it can be tracked while moving through Skoda.

How do you set the privacy to minimum? I get an annoying message on the screen of my Karoq about this every time I set off but don’t know how to clear it

• 3 months later...

Hi,

one benefit is to update Skoda navigation maps if you use them. According to official Skoda update portal you can do this for free using the Skoda Navigation Card in the glove box and following the instructions in the Skoda update portal. Very simple in theory. My car was supplied without The Skoda SD card.

slight problem you can’t use apple mac, but purchased a 64 GB SD card for £10 and downloaded maps easily on Microsoft , though very slowly.

just come off phone from a very helpful Skoda Customer Services person who put me on hold several times to confer with the technical department. They advised my car ( Karoq) was not supplied with SD card as can only be updated online via Skoda Connect. Not what infotainment system says.

I pointed out that directly contradicts the Skoda Update portal where you have to enter your VIN to get specific instruction for your vehicle.

I can’t fault the patience of the customer service person who was piggy in middle between customer and her technical department.

problem unresolved and whilst I have maps on SD card I am too much of coward to insert into car in case I screw up the infotainment system.

might explore putting Skoda Connect on car if £36 and not long contract and update all infotainment software.