Huge jump in premium!

17 hours ago, BTandSid said:

My renewals in, up from £335 to £624! We had a Freelander until early April, trading it in for our Karoq Sportline. At the time we paid a minimal amount upon transfer so I assumed the change in the vehicles wouldn’t greatly affect the premium upon renewal. Clearly wrong. So went on line to run the usual searches and not much joy, no significant decreases anywhere. We have a linked buildings/contents policy which I hoped might afford me some bargaining power. Called insurer who without little effort dropped the car premium down from £624 to £484! Home policy dropped from £205 to £189. Still a few weeks to renewal so holding off payment, may call again nearer the time to see if they really are their final figures 🤞

It seems that premiums have gone up across the board yet the insurers can still reduce the renewal at the drop of a hat. Must be recovering the saving I’ve been offered from some gullible punter who simply pays what’s asked 🤔

I note a recent report suggesting that the new requirement to 'quarantine' BEV and hybrids that may have suffered damage to the battery pack, may be partly responsible - but insurers do often seem to post high premiums initially, then are prepared to take a substantial drop when resistance is met. 

^^^ @Warrior193I seriously doubt that has anything to do with any insurance increases.

Who was it that compiled this report with the suggestion about the BEV & Hybrids?  The Daily Mail by any chance.

I see that some Insurance companies are getting it told as it is about ripping off customers when their vehicles are damaged and written off.

'Offering a price lower than the car's fair market value after it has been written off, which is against FCA rules. Relevant firms have been told to put these wrongs right and where necessary provide redress to affected customers'.

About time as well.

They should be named, shamed fined / penalised. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toot said:

^^^ @Warrior193I seriously doubt that has anything to do with any insurance increases.

Who was it that compiled this report with the suggestion about the BEV & Hybrids?  The Daily Mail by any chance.

I see that some Insurance companies are getting it told as it is about ripping off customers when their vehicles are damaged and written off.

'Offering a price lower than the car's fair market value after it has been written off, which is against FCA rules. Relevant firms have been told to put these wrongs right and where necessary provide redress to affected customers'.

About time as well.

It seems that EV cars might well be behind the huge insurance hikes after all, Thoughts?

Might, could be, maybe in the future. Sometime down the line. Once there are these vehicles on the roads, many of which have more safety features.

(Safety features are more tech, more to go wrong, but that is as in all Euro 7 vehicles coming soon.)

But is it actually now costing more to the insurance underwriters, and what are the numbers of BEV,s, PHEV,s and mild hybrids being written off because of bodywork repairs and how many are requiring new or replacement batteries?

I posted about his vid the other week on ULEZ,s in Scotland and said he might want to visit Dundee and see where the zone is and just how it will affect traffic in the zone.

It is hurts me to link his video,s just because it brings in more money for him. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, toot said:

About time as well.

Damaged EV quarantine requirements are on .gov website - including environmental covers and minimum of 15 metres separation from other vehicles, which will significantly increase storage costs.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Damaged EV quarantine requirements are on .gov website - including environmental covers and minimum of 15 metres separation from other vehicles, which will significantly increase storage costs.

Yup, it could well mean if your EV is over a year old, it stands a high chance of being written off.

• Haha 1

Further to the postings above regarding EV's and their storage after an accident, while awaiting repair etc, I have dug these documents up, which re-enforce the claims.

Damaged electric cars ‘quarantined’ over fears they will explode (telegraph.co.uk)

recovery-_operators-working-with-electric-vehicles.pdf

• Haha 1

The Telegraph and Daily Mail are really on an Anti-EV and pro ICE vehicle campaign.

I wonder just how much their owners have financial investments in Oil & Gas production & not in EV,s or EV Subscription. 

PS

I have had an EV recovered.   Not an accident damaged one thankfully....  What a farce.

The RAC called out the recovery firm and then i assisted with the recovery.  Blocking the road with my van with hazards on, moving cones about and waving through drivers when it was safe and no cable across the toad.

The 'very professional' recovery operative (??) had not a clue what he was there to recover and had nothing more than sliders with him. 

As for jacking points / and safe places to lift, clueless, and there was no towing hook with the car from new.

*People including first delivery transporters, first responders from the 4th emergency services / recovery operatives are pretty clueless as to a FWD, a RWD or an AWD EV or Hybrid, so there is an issue right off.*

Here the Front wheels were locked in P, that was the fault and the rear wheels had e-brake on so locked.

As i pointed out to the RAC operative who was first called before breakfast time and when arrived plugged it in, did a reset and before he left me with the car before lunch time having tried pushing it and getting the idea he could no put the front on a dolly, 

and then me asking the recovery company mid afternoon when they might come and did they know it was an EV and the wheels were locked.

Tea-time so late afternoon / early evening and finally at 7.30-8.00 pm i got home and the car went off in the wrong direction 25 miles to then travel the next day to the dealership where it sat in the car park for 3 weeks because the RAC never booked it in.

*This is a car owned by Motability and the RAC assistance is done by a priority team.* !!! ?

(It is at the dealership now for it,s 3rd recall and MOT, this one is a Safety Critical Recall as were the last 2, not that Vauxhall or the DVLA bother telling you for a month or 3 or even a year and when you ask what the possible issue is Dealership staff have no clue.)

I am driving a BMW Series 1 this weekend since the car might be gone for days or even weeks this time.

What a farce and training has obviously somehow passed the company / management by. 

DSCN2670.JPG.05f4464820a8fde82fd62b1c4789fb23.jpeg

DSCN2674.JPG.2d190080233c4c1e84210f31243e117a.jpeg

DSCN2679.JPG.97504032fda1833ae3b307819af946af.jpeg

DSCN2683.JPG.f279a9e0f26aaad35bdc8994b0c50fea.jpeg

DSCN2684.JPG.cd652b44b9395f0cd43649d7f64ce515.jpeg

421522982_Screenshot2023-04-1313_44_36.jpg.f0e4fd6fb2eedce7a90a97663c558c10.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-09 6.14.52 PM.png

1731216148_Screenshot2023-05-05at13_25_50.jpg.43e872615d58a6c065adcb3776b02a8d.jpg

DSCN2979.JPG.02af1452008b757cde57b1777ff04428.jpeg

Edited by toot
  • Crying 2

Welcome to the future, it's looking bleak. I think it's time they left ice cars alone, or maybe restrict engine size and admit that real problem is industry and natural gas burning.

• Like 2

New EV on order.  Simply it is the nearest future. It is good driving an ICE vehicle, easy, and maybe even cheaper than an EV if you do public charging.  But hey ho on you go with how things are.  If you want to just run an ICE vehicle you can.  If you want to buy one new up untill you can not anymore then what's the beef, just do it. 

• Like 2

If we wait long enough, perhaps other manufacturers will get their EV technology closer to Tesla - then there is also HC on the horizon, as JCB have been developing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2023 at 17:54, toot said:

The Telegraph and Daily Mail are really on an Anti-EV and pro ICE vehicle campaign.

I wonder just how much their owners have financial investments in Oil & Gas production & not in EV,s or EV Subscription. 

Further to my original post in response to @Warrior193post where I posted a link to the telegraph about damaged EV cars having to be quarantined at least 15m away from anything else, and I also post the UK Gov document (MOT) confirming this I have got further confirmation of this from research carried by Thatcham who are the advisory body for the UK industry and the insurance companies and their report is also attached, and it not only discusses this but also shows what this graphically means, and it means that in the same space needed to store 100 ICE cars awaiting accident repairs, they can only store just 2 EVs. If the area does not have any other structures or vehicles bordering onto it then the maxim they can store is just 8. When I visited the repairs where my old damaged car was being stored awaiting instructions, their yard was rammed with cars and just about enough space to open a door and squeeze in the car. This rule is going to be very problematical for them and will shove costs up across the board. This shown on pages 38 & 39 of the document if printed out, but if reading it online it is pages 44 & 45 as they do not number the index pages.

So it would seem that the Telegraph, at least on this occasion, was just pro ICE and anti EV but were in fact factual after all. 

On 08/07/2023 at 17:34, Graham Butcher said:

Further to the postings above regarding EV's and their storage after an accident, while awaiting repair etc, I have dug these documents up, which re-enforce the claims.

Damaged electric cars ‘quarantined’ over fears they will explode (telegraph.co.uk)

recovery-_operators-working-with-electric-vehicles (2).pdf 

Impact-of-BEV-Adoption-on-the-Repair-and-Insurance-Sectors-report-Innovate-UK-and-Thatcham-Research-FINAL.pdf

Edited by Graham Butcher

So how are the Recovery Centres & Body Repair centres getting on?

Any articles with any of them commenting?

Todays BBC Scotland news story on EV,s is about the lady in Orkney who like me was charging and got a message saying that the car would not start.

Like me she called the RAC or will have done it online as we get told is quicker.

Her RAC responder called her to check her Postcode to confirm how long to get to her, when talking he then realised it would be a long time from Cornwall to Orkney if he took the van and did not fly up.

While the RAC sorted it out she contacted the garage in Orkney that recovers most vehicles on Orkney or services or repairs them.

They recovered her car but they will not be doing the Warranty Repair.

That will likely be the car on a flatbed or transporter and on a ferry to the mainland.

There are Recovery Firms up in the area of the North Coast 500 and north of Inverness, they will be getting equipped for EV recovery, crashed EV recovery because that is the business they are in, and storage and onward transport, usually south. 

Businesses have to move with the times.  

I don't have a clue how the recovery Centres & Body Repair centres will get on with it. I expect that they will have to follow the guidelines because can you imagine the carnage and the massive claims being made if a fire was to break out in a crowded yard. My car was taken to Balgores in Witham and like I said there must have been around 100 vehicles stored there and mine was in the middle of the front row and was one of just a handful that was drivable. If an incident did happen, they would never be able to extract many vehicles before they were all engulfed.

As to the RAC, well they are at best laughable in my view, on 2 occasions they had to recovery me and I wait over 7 hours once and 4 hours on the other.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Haha 1

Nail on the head. Not a clue, clueless, like so many that maybe need to bother finding out. 

Fire resistant containers will be order of the day.

There is job creation right there, the circular economy. 

?

Did you get money from them because they never got to you quicker, or was it before those times?

No, I did get an apology in the end, they claimed it was a change of shifts that caused the delay. I wasn't aware that I could have claimed, but then, maybe I couldn't because it is a perk offered by my bank, therefore I don't actually subscribe to the RAC. 

Today I came across this in my mailbox. What I'd like to know is why has it taken the government so long to respond to this crime wave, and also why was the equipment to capture the signal from keyless entry cars and then use it to steal the cars even allowed to be on sale?

Secondly, following the jump in my renewal policy after the shunt earlier in the year which was through no fault of mine and zero cost to my insurer, has it made such a massive impact on policy. I did a test quote with another company last night, one without declaring the accident and then another declaring it.

1st quote was £888.84 and the second was with the same details but with the no-fault accident declared £1042.37, that is £153.53 uplift for something I did not contribute to. That to me is clear evidence of price gouging and is 100% not justified.

Keyless car hacking equipment to be banned as rise in thefts urges Government to act | Regit

Do they mean the 'Advertising of', the Selling of, the importation of or the possession of the equipment.

Time that DPF removal companies were stopped from trading or advertising.

?

How is the UK Government doing on 'Stopping Small Boats'. 

Has no VED Disc on vehicles and ANPR stopped illegal vehicles with no MOT or Insurance or VED being used on the Kings Public Highway?

1 hour ago, toot said:

Do they mean the 'Advertising of', the Selling of, the importation of or the possession of the equipment.

Time that DPF removal companies were stopped from trading or advertising.

?

How is the UK Government doing on 'Stopping Small Boats'. 

Has no VED Disc on vehicles and ANPR stopped illegal vehicles with no MOT or Insurance or VED being used on the Kings Public Highway?

Your guess is good as mine on those issues, or indeed do they really indeed to do anything at all. Is this all smoke and mirrors?

It is a Journalist running a story feed to them by a Spin Doctor from a Government Department or the Met Police.

All good stuff.

They just need to get on with addressing Knife Crime, Moped robberies and the theft of Moped, Motorbikes & Push Bikes /e-Bikes.

The Home Secretary are going to have the Police taking action on all crimes.

Once they weed out all corrupt Police Officers they will have lots of available officers, or maybe quite a lot less.

MauMauM.jpg.a730f8af9f11981f15b1387419a3b965.jpg.e4a3c61ade0e6df5aebb99521433a484.jpg

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Following the jump in my renewal policy after the shunt earlier in the year which was through no fault of mine and zero cost to my insurer. I did a test quote with another company last night, one without declaring the accident and then another declaring it.

1st quote was £888.84 and the second was with the same details but with the no-fault accident declared £1042.37, that is £153.53 uplift for something I did not contribute to.

Exactly what I said about the so called protected NCB, you are paying them to shaft you.

Edited by J.R.

On 30/05/2023 at 13:28, skomaz said:

So in light of the increase - what do insurance companies do about keeping repair costs down, not using inflated parts and labour figures?

My experience of LV is they invest in joint ventures repair centres for their exclusive use. Decent paint and body mangling facilities. Offer a decent warranty on repairs and paintwork too. They source any parts they possibly can from China.

On the Fabia, it all looked very decent, except the bonnet weighed 1/3 of the OE part and no manner of shuffling about could they get shutlines looking straight and the same on both sides. Not to mention the gaps.

I doubt it had the crash worthiness of the original being it was so thin.

• Confused 1

My son and  daughter in law recently had low speed front end shunts and both their cars were deemed written off.

In both cases just asked for a photo of the damage and immediately wrote off with offer being made by text with a link to accept the offer.

No inspection just straight to scrapyard.

I think some companies don't want the hassle of repairing anymore or even employing/paying loss assesors.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1