Blower fan not working in speed 1,2 and3

Hi.

I have a 2014 Roomster 1.2TSi SE DSG 105hp. The blower fan has gone defective. It works on full speed but the lower speeds, 1,2 and 3 are dead. Similar problems on Fiat vehicles proved to be the fan sped resistor but I am not sure about Skodas. 
Does anyone have experience of the problem I have and have determined the solution?

If it is the fan resistor, does none know how to get at it?

Yes common problem on fabia/roomster Quite a few youtube videos I believe .I would tend to buy the new resister unit about £12 rather than soldier one in.

Good luck tell us how you got on.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the information and the link. I think I have all the tools to do that. Slightly apprehensive about the touching the airbag but will have to.

I will get on and order the parts now.

cheers.

9 hours ago, Fredw56 said:

The blower fan has gone defective. It works on full speed but the lower speeds, 1,2 and 3 are dead. Similar problems on Fiat vehicles proved to be the fan sped resistor but I am not sure about Skodas.

It's highly likely. Buy a genuine part unless you want your Octavia to impersonate a V@*xh@11 Firelighter er Zafira.

• Like 1

I have done it 4 years ago on our roomster, not difficult.

The replacement is similar size to jam jar lid, seemed to be a standard unit that fitted multiple small VW group cars from polo to Audi A1, from memory I ordered it from an internet motor factor, was about £8 delivered

The hardest part, was I needed a very long handled screwdriver to undo very tight screws at back of glovebox as couldn't get good enough grip with a standard one as handle was bumping edge of glovebox opening.

• Like 1

My resistor pack went with all speeds apart from one. I bought the part from my dealer and followed the instructions on the video but I removed the glove box lid and did not fancy mucking about with the airbag. Bottled the job and gave it to the dealer to do and they accepted as the resistor was bought from their spares department. Cost around £90 for labour but that was just before covid

Thanks for all the help and hints.

I did the job using a resistor pack from a random eBay seller. I also changed the cabin filter at the same time. Took me about a hour but that included looking for an elusive torx driver. Yes, it is a bit of a wrangle getting the airbag out but it can be done. It’s all working again and the car has not spontaneously combusted, yet. 

it was the big green bit that was damaged. It was cracked up presumably through overheating. The cabin filter was quite dirty but not excessively so perhaps I will replace that more often. It had done about 12,000 miles since last changed.