Engine cover, do we really need it?

In the past i have read many opinions about that cover, some say we needed some say it's not necessary.

Digrjmr.jpg

Leave it as is, the factory knows better

Remove it, you can make inspections work better without it

Leave it, cover some crucial parts

Remove it because preserves heat and does not let the engine cool faster

Leave it, covers the noise from the engine

Remove it does not protect from the noise at all

Leave it because driver the incoming air with a specific pressure to the throttle

Remove it because the air will entrance to the throttle without any obstacle

Leave it, protects from air turbulence as comes from the filter box

Remove it as the same do the guys with cold air intakes.

plus some other opinions that i am not remember now.

Another issue is the hose that begins from beneath the engine oil cap and goes to the throttle.

4wEdzpj.jpg

Leave it, it is ''oiling'' the throttle

Remove it, transfer dirt inside the throttle

Keep it but put in the end a small filter

No the filter after some years gets dirty and the dirt returns back

Put an oil catch can

Leave it free

No that's not good for the environment

Keep it but not block the end because the pressure will make the cap pop-up

plus some other opinions that i am not remember now.

Gentlemen, what's your opinion about those matters?

There's no engine cover on the 1.3 engine. It barely covers the throttle body. It's an intake pipe. The extra material is there only to create some structure between the mountings.

If it was intended as an engine cover, it'd look more like this.

fabia_03.jpg

Edited by Papez

12 minutes ago, Papez said:

It's an intake pipe.

Just an intake pipe, nothing ''special'' about the turbulences -the specific air pressure etc that some drivers say?

fNY4kaE.jpg

As for the hose that drives emissions to the throttle?

A small filter can do the job or the emissions must turn back to the engine to be burned?

4 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Leave it on it doesnt make a difference

I want to make an experiment to remove it just for few kilometers to see hoe the engine will work.

As for the hose that drives emissions to the throttle what must i do?

To put a small filter as previous or the emissions must turn back to the engine to be burned?

1 hour ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

It's a pcv it doesn't affect engine performance. 

Just dirties up your tb and the intake manifold 

Sorry but it's PCV or PRV?

I read from other drivers that have a problem with PCV when does not work properly.

Look the felly pcv system is very basic 

The oil cap with it's double walls acts as the oil separator. 

And damps the fumes in front of the throttle plate. 

If you send the pcv to a catch can and then vent it to the environment it's absolutely fine. 

There is also a smaller vaccum hose going to below the throttle body. 

That is the alternate high vaccum path. 

3 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

There is also a smaller vaccum hose going to below the throttle body. 

That is the alternate high vaccum path. 

Yes, i don't touch that hose.

tb43cdH.jpg

And now the sad news, that black cover can not be removed because:

The throttle body is about 56mm wide and the end of the plastic tube of the air filter is 65mm wide, so there is some kind of ''funnel'' which is difficult to replace it with a hose.

The end of the plastic box has a gasket but even there is not possible to tighten the clamp of the hose.

I don't want to start a project making an aluminium adaptor to make the throttle body 65mm and the connect it with a hose with the air filter box.

15 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

And now the sad news, that black cover can not be removed because:

Also, there's not much space above the throttle body, which is the reason why the factory cover is shaped in this way - I'm not sure whether would a normal L bend pipe fit.

But I've seen people cutting off all the extra material, leaving only the pipe - like this. But you can see that there's not a big difference.

82494682170821364572_original_8602785-sani-skoda-felicia-1-3-mpi-viko-vzduchoveho-filtru-001.jpg

82494682170821364572_thumbnail_8602785-sani-skoda-felicia-1-3-mpi-viko-vzduchoveho-filtru-002.jpg

Edited by Papez
  • Thanks 1

There you go

Yes i know it but it's double cost, that part plus the other one to connect it with the throttle and how about the sealing of these parts?

Wouldn't be fragile?

The hot air pipe, where is it? 

Sealed, the internal clap does not work all the times, if it gets stuck closed then the whole day the filter sucks hot air from the engine.

This in a highway trip would be a disaster, high rpm + hot air only in the throttle.

29 minutes ago, Papez said:

But I've seen people cutting off all the extra material, leaving only the pipe - like this. But you can see that there's not a big difference.

I wonder why 56mm from one side and 65mm on the other, has something to do with the pressure that the incoming air is driven into the throttle?

One thread of the air intake manifold is damaged (has 3) plus every time i want to inspect-lubricate the gas petal wire-check the sensor-clean the throttle etc i had to remove 3 bolts plus the air filter hose.

Plus the plastic absorbs heat and takes time to cool off.

2 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

I wonder why 56mm from one side and 65mm on the other, has something to do with the pressure that the incoming air is driven into the throttle?

My guess is that it slows down the air before the sharp turn. It's more like a small plenum chamber with a 56mm outlet than a bent pipe.

26 minutes ago, Papez said:

My guess is that it slows down the air before the sharp turn. It's more like a small plenum chamber with a 56mm outlet than a bent pipe.

Its going to speed up the air.

Its just an adapter as the filter box is designed for higher volume engines, needing more airflow and is adapted to the 1.3's tb

32 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Yes i know it but it's double cost, that part plus the other one to connect it with the throttle and how about the sealing of these parts?

Wouldn't be fragile?

no more than 50 euros

22 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

ts going to speed up the air

the part with larger cross section than TB speeds up the air?

23 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Its just an adapter as the filter box is designed for higher volume engines, needing more airflow and is adapted to the 1.3's tb

If that's the case, why they didn't make a gradual change of cross section, like the adapter you linked?

45 minutes ago, Papez said:

the part with larger cross section than TB speeds up the air?

follow the air path it goes from the larger cross-section of the filter box to the narrower of the tb, since it has to change shape, but you need to keep the same flow characteristics you make the oval egg shaped internal ducting, and in the meantime you start adjusting the x-section down to the 55mm of the tb

47 minutes ago, Papez said:

If that's the case, why they didn't make a gradual change of cross section, like the adapter you linked?

they did, if you measure the area of the elliptic pipe you will see it becomes smaller

6 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

if you measure the area of the elliptic pipe you will see it becomes smaller

IF (let's say hypothetically) the pipe in the air filter box becomes smaller (now it's 65mm outside) equal to the throttle body (outside is about 56mm) there would be a difference in performance?

The factory made it in purpose so the air now have more pressure?

33 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

if you open the airbox and look on the top cover you'll understand why. 

I have seen has something like adaptor which narrows down the exit perimeter a bit, i haven't measure it if is about 56mm as the throttle.

20 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

if you open the airbox and look on the top cover you'll understand why.

Zbw75Yg.jpg

bkfbj4c.jpg

Something is missing at the exit to the throttle or not?