New Head Unit - Any Advice

Hi All,

Iam thinking of spending around £300 and swap out the old orignal head unit. Just wondering if there is any tip / tricks? Iam thinking of putting in a revers camera and have found the following units. Any one had an issue with battery drain after fitting a new unit?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32989037268.html top of the range unit

Rear Camera https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000890907108.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.68684737mgEXl5&algo_pvid=9d9640e6-b7fc-48f8-b3bd-5a1460da4c4e&algo_exp_id=9d9640e6-b7fc-48f8-b3bd-5a1460da4c4e-0&pdp_npi=3%40dis!GBP!34.0!24.48!!!!!%402100b88516877737148064690d07b4!10000010453897384!sea!UK!100483637&curPageLogUid=qC6VZHc7A2sv

I was wondering if anyone has setup there new headunit to also act as a front and rear dash cam when driving?

Thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, MRB007 said:

Any one had an issue with battery drain after fitting a new unit?

Probably everyone fitting one to a MK2 Octavia, you will need to budget for changing the Canbus Gateway for a later revision number and VCDS to program the new one.

I have had 2 Chinese head units and reversing cameras, they have all worked well.

32 minutes ago, J.R. said:

you will need to budget for changing the Canbus Gateway for a later revision number and VCDS to program the new one.

Really its not just plug and play?

2 hours ago, MRB007 said:

Really its not just plug and play?

Not if the battery discharges.

Do you feel lucky? 😆

Or you could look at the can gateway controller and read off its part number and suffix and check compatibility on the Gendan site, VCDS would give you the info without grovelling in the footwell.

If the OP has a 1.6TDI then it will be facelift mk2, at least a 2010 model year, so the canbus gateway will be fine.

Only the earlier cars (pre around 2008) suffered with battery drain from the older gateway not supporting the newer radio units.

7 minutes ago, softscoop said:

If the OP has a 1.6TDI then it will be facelift mk2, at least a 2010 model year, so the canbus gateway will be fine.

Only the earlier cars (pre around 2008) suffered with battery drain from the older gateway not supporting the newer radio units.

My car is a 2010 so I should be safe!!!

Thanks for that, I did look but their profile did not show the age of the vehicle.

Mine was 2006.