Second radiator fan purpose

Hey guys!

Just wanted to ask for explanation: whats the purpose of the second radiator fan (marked in the photo) and under which circumstances he will kick off?

Asking because i noticed that second one is always off and while clima is on auto mode the large one is only spinning. Thanks for the info!

20230623_102352.jpg

What year was the car built? Do you know if the fan control module is built into the main fan (if it is, the power to that smaller fan will come from the main fan), or is it separate?

On Skodas with separate control module, both fans are usually wired in parallel, so should both run any time fan action is commanded.

I think your car will have the fan control module built into the main fan. You can perhaps disconnect the smaller fan and try powering it directly from battery to test if it works?

I'm not 100% sure on that version of things. Wait for someone with the same age/engine car replies, I think.

A forum post I read some years ago said they should both work at the same time, but I don't know if I could find it again (wasn't this forum).

Just now, Breezy_Pete said:

I'm not 100% sure on that version of things. Wait for someone with the same age/engine car replies, I think.

A forum post I read some years ago said they should both work at the same time, but I don't know if I could find it again (wasn't this forum).

Thank you very much for your input! lets see other opinions

Okay, so did VCDS output test which is called Coolant fan control circuit 1 ( which is shown in this video ) and i find out that this test should kick out both fans, but in my case only larger one is spinning up..:(

Agree, i think i will do it during inspection. The only question is: what is the percentage what the bigger fan will start to fail soon and is it worth to change the both fans at the same time and forgot about them..

2 hours ago, jong123 said:

isn't the second fan used when the air con is initiated ?

Yup the second fan (smaller one) is AC fan. i am not sure if there are any difference between AC and climatronic, but now once the clima is on - both fans are triggered and spinning up :)