Is there a reliable, pokey engine in an Octavia MkII ?

PsychoDuck

Hi all, my first post so apologies for getting straight down to business. In short I am looking for a nice Octavia to replace a 27 year old Volvo 940 :) Don't laugh, that car only has a documented 62k miles up and its in museum condition. It is however, too thirsty to use for commuting, which is where the Octavia comes in. As Sheffield is implementing a ULEZ zone. I'll be limited to petrol engines, and as I'd like at least 150bhp that means a 1.8 or 2.0. The 2.0 seems to be made of jelly, so I'm looking primarily at 1.8s...

I've seen a lovely 2011 reg Octavia 1.8TSI 4x4 for sale which has 90k miles recorded. Its in mint condition and looks like a cracking car... now I have read about the timing chain and oil consumption issues so I'm not going in blind, however I'm wondering how prevalent the oil consumption issue is? I'll be replacing the timing chain as soon as I buy the car as it seems a sensible precaution. Is there anything I need to be wary of re the 4x4 system - its a manual gearbox car.

Finally, has anyone had the timing chain kit replaced recently? If so, how much did it cost - I'm assuming you can only buy the revised parts now?

Thanks for all advice received - I have read quite a few threads here but just wanted some up to date info, particularly re the prices.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a 2006 Octavia L&K spec with 2 litre FSI and auto, beautiful car, part exchanged it though because annual car tax was changed and it's 201 CO2 was being hammered about 10 years ago.

You need to be very wary of a 12 year old car with 4x4 because many will look good, but the mechanicals might have had skimped servicing.  You could end up with some big repair bills if lots of parts are heavily worn.

If live on the hills around Sheffield might be better buying set of winter tyres than trying to source a very limited number of 4x4 spec cars, as choice will be much wider.