Another Ali Express Rear Camera Questions

Still new to Skodas, do I need to check the type of plug on the camera kit before ordering or can I get away with just measuring the rear boot handle for the correct replacement?

Iy you have the small handle, you need yo measure the plug and you will need to build a clamp to hold yue AliExpress handle.

If you have the bog handle then you ar good to go but  go for the stock Octavia camera on AliExpress, it will have all the options 

• Thanks 1

A word of warning buying from Ali Express, I got a Xi dash cam from there about 4 years ago, for around £40, but the Post Office held it as they wanted £50 extra for import duty on it. Camera still works well today but it cost a lot more than I’d bargained for.

In France, under 250 euros, you are good to do if you don't choose dhl, ups and co. Juste normal post office.

If you go for Express delivery then yes,  customs and vat will have to be paid. 

I got my camera through Standard shipping and didn't pay any Extra 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Biminibob said:

A word of warning buying from Ali Express, I got a Xi dash cam from there about 4 years ago, for around £40, but the Post Office held it as they wanted £50 extra for import duty on it. Camera still works well today but it cost a lot more than I’d bargained for.

Sounds like they declared it as a gift on the customs form as you don't normally pay duty on items less than £135. I'm planning on buying a few things to be shipped over, I don't know how shipping works from their side but if they all end up boxed together then I will end up paying duty.

18 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

Iy you have the small handle, you need yo measure the plug and you will need to build a clamp to hold yue AliExpress handle.

If you have the bog handle then you ar good to go but  go for the stock Octavia camera on AliExpress, it will have all the options 

I need to go and measure it again, it's 110mm long but cannot remember the depth, I think it's likely it will be their one that measures 111mm 🤔

Couple of points, I bought mine from AliExpress and it came straight through, no extra charges.

Zymurgy, I don’t know whether you’ve seen member Weyland’s excellent guide to fitting a reverse camera from AliExpress:  details of how to select the correct version are included.  Thread heading is “How to: Reverse Camera Fitting Guide” on this forum

2 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Couple of points, I bought mine from AliExpress and it came straight through, no extra charges.

Zymurgy, I don’t know whether you’ve seen member Weyland’s excellent guide to fitting a reverse camera from AliExpress:  details of how to select the correct version are included.  Thread heading is “How to: Reverse Camera Fitting Guide” on this forum

I haven't no but I'll go searching for it, thank you 👍

22 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

4 hours ago, Zymurgy said:

I need to go and measure it again, it's 110mm long but cannot remember the depth, I think it's likely it will be their one that measures 111mm 🤔

11 cm is the big handle, go for the stock camera, best picture quality and options. 

On 01/07/2023 at 09:59, Zymurgy said:

Still new to Skodas, do I need to check the type of plug on the camera kit before ordering or can I get away with just measuring the rear boot handle for the correct replacement?

This is the one I recently fitted to mine on my preFL VRS (MQB CAM A) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000230897829.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.2.1cfe1284Jh7V8B&pdp_npi=3%40dis!GBP!£42.66!£32.95!!!!!%4021038edf16855758245143820e5114!12000030861906206!sh!UK!3692179596

Straight plug and play without any need for coding. Also didn't get hit by customs charges either - delivered earlier than expected by EVRI as well.

• Like 2