Does a Superb hatchback, or estate handle better?

After reading some great reviews on reliability I’m about to buy a used Skoda superb.

I just want to buy whichever car handles better. 
It’ll be a roughly 10 years old, under 100k mileage.

I’ve read most superb engines go until 250k which sounds positive.

I’ve also noted the electrics and air con can be faulty so are worth checking.

Mpg is the key for me so I’d imagine I’ll be getting a diesel as I want a minimum 40mpg.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

23 minutes ago, Cluelessaboutcars said:

I just want to buy whichever car handles better

Either will handle better than a V@*xh@11 1n$19n1@, based on having driven an 1n$19n1@ and an Octavia over the same route.

• Cheeky 1

3 hours ago, Cluelessaboutcars said:

After reading some great reviews on reliability I’m about to buy a used Skoda superb.

I just want to buy whichever car handles better. 
It’ll be a roughly 10 years old, under 100k mileage.

I’ve read most superb engines go until 250k which sounds positive.

I’ve also noted the electrics and air con can be faulty so are worth checking.

Mpg is the key for me so I’d imagine I’ll be getting a diesel as I want a minimum 40mpg.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

The Superb MK2 hatchback/estate with standard ride height will have similar handling. This is because although the estate will be slightly heavier at the rear and have a slightly higher centre of gravity, the rear springs are slightly stiffer.

However, you can easily change the springs and shock absorbers to improve handling, especially if the original shock absorbers are past their best.

With a 10 year old secondhand car, it's probably best to concentrate on the car's condition.

If you want good handling, just make sure the springs are in good condition (ie. not broken or sagging) and the shock absorbers are in good condition. Refreshing old, worn shock absorbers can transform the handling.

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

Ok thanks. 

I don’t even bother looking at the engine when I normally buy a car as I’ve no idea what I’m looking for tbh.

so changing springs and shock absorbers would be well beyond me.

I prefer to buy a car, service it every 12 months and just drive it.

I previously stuck to nice looking cars like Peugeot quicksilver and Toyota celica, (hairdressers cars though), but I must admit the superb estate is really growing on me. 

Get an early mk3 Superb if you can, even if you get a nice facelifted mk2 from 2015 its still an old dog from 2008 underneath and does handle like one.

• Thanks 1

A lot of how cars handle is in the tyres you choose.

Put a set of summer tyres on and it will grip poorly and be skittish in wet in colder months, and be almost undriveable during rare snowy days.   Instead get a set of premium all season tyres and it will feel secure even on frosty mornings.

If some dealer says they will fit new tyres, then don't let them choose, they will probably fit wear quick budget tyres because they will have your money by time you realise they are useless on a cold wet day and they wear quickly.

• Thanks 1

There is no such thing as "Summer tyres", its marketting Bravo Sugar for "tyres".

How many days of snow have you experienced in the last 2 decades in Surrey and Wiltshire?

Drivers should be capable of adapting to the weather conditions, unfortunately that has not been the case for the majority since ABS and ESP became mandatory.

A driver that knows the limits of his vehicle and drives within them according to the weather and road conditions will always feel secure.

I speak as someone who spent most of their life trying to drive right on the limit and beyond both on road and on track, tyres were very important to me, they still are but adapting to the conditions more so.

I have had zero benefit from my winter tyres in recent years, now I am set up to change them very quickly I am going to remain all year on the standard tyres which you call summer tyres and only swap them if we get snow and ice and a forecast that it will hang around for a long time.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, J.R. said:

There is no such thing as "Summer tyres", its marketting Bravo Sugar for "tyres".

How many days of snow have you experienced in the last 2 decades in Surrey and Wiltshire?

Drivers should be capable of adapting to the weather conditions, unfortunately that has not been the case for the majority since ABS and ESP became mandatory.

A driver that knows the limits of his vehicle and drives within them according to the weather and road conditions will always feel secure.

I speak as someone who spent most of their life trying to drive right on the limit and beyond both on road and on track, tyres were very important to me, they still are but adapting to the conditions more so.

I have had zero benefit from my winter tyres in recent years, now I am set up to change them very quickly I am going to remain all year on the standard tyres which you call summer tyres and only swap them if we get snow and ice and a forecast that it will hang around for a long time.

Good reply jr ,totally agree with what you say know your limits and adapt to the conditions make alot of sense👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...