diamond cut alloy corrosion :sad:

hi, sorry I know there's a few threads on this but couldn't figure out a definitive answer.

Anyone have any luck recently getting wheels replaced by Skoda? 

67 Superb in my case.

Otherwise it seems have to go to a refurbisher to correct this by powder coating? I saw a recommendation for Lepsons and Rim Tech Designs.

Thanks

PXL_20230708_200157692 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20230708_200207026 - Copy.jpg

Edited by ChaybobbTidbit
added pictures

I would try Skoda but I suspect at that age it will be a no. You might be lucky, ask nicely and cross everything.

If not, then re-finishing is an option but its expensive, can only be done a limited number of times as can only skim a bit off x times, and in my experience doesn't last that well. I think  laquered bare metal is probably just a bad idea for longevity, and they are a bugger to touch up if you ding them.

In the end I got all 4 of my wheels powder coated a solid colour (a BMW metallic anthracite called Orbit grey that is a pretty close match to the Skoda background colour) for nearly the same price as refinishing 2 diamond cut ones. I actually prefer them to the original and they have the advantage that if I ding them now, I have the correct touch up colour to hand and can do bit of invisible mending.

I used Maxpowder in Apsley, near Hemel Hempstead. no idea where you are based but their website has prices as a guide https://maxpowder.co.uk/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, edwards said:

In the end I got all 4 of my wheels powder coated a solid colour (a BMW metallic anthracite called Orbit grey that is a pretty close match to the Skoda background colour) for nearly the same price as refinishing 2 diamond cut ones. I actually prefer them to the original and they have the advantage that if I ding them now, I have the correct touch up colour to hand and can do bit of invisible mending.

I used Maxpowder in Apsley, near Hemel Hempstead. no idea where you are based but their website has prices as a guide https://maxpowder.co.uk/

Thanks, do you have any pics? Will check them out, not too far from me. cheers

• Like 1

I’ve had the alloys refurbed more times than I can remember; the wheels on this car has had a propensity to find kerbs others have feared to touch! 😖 No I’m serious. I’ve never kerbed any of the ‘00’s of cars I’ve had prior to the 280 (OK, OK, so I did rip the bottom of the engine out of my cocar Sierra 2.0l Ghia estate on an unlit centre kerbstone bollard - Merton Council paid for the damage) and whilst it’s cost more than powder coating, I’ve kept them OE as I think they’re a very smart-looking wheel. I also had the worm removed a couple of years ago and, as yet, it hasn’t returned. 

On 11/07/2023 at 09:01, numskull said:

I’ve had the alloys refurbed more times than I can remember; the wheels on this car has had a propensity to find kerbs others have feared to touch! 😖 No I’m serious. I’ve never kerbed any of the ‘00’s of cars I’ve had prior to the 280 (OK, OK, so I did rip the bottom of the engine out of my cocar Sierra 2.0l Ghia estate on an unlit centre kerbstone bollard - Merton Council paid for the damage) and whilst it’s cost more than powder coating, I’ve kept them OE as I think they’re a very smart-looking wheel. I also had the worm removed a couple of years ago and, as yet, it hasn’t returned. 

Thanks

Who did you use to fully refurb? Powder coating looks vastly different?

How did you have the "worm removed"?

14 hours ago, ChaybobbTidbit said:

Thanks

Who did you use to fully refurb? Powder coating looks vastly different?

How did you have the "worm removed"?

Hmmm. I’ve never had to have them fully refurbed as damage is localised. 
I’ve no idea where you’re located (it’s a good idea to add that info to your profile; helps in cases like this!) but i use a local mobile guy. His business is called Wheel Doctor, but I’m sure any mobile refurb Co with good reviews or, better still, a personal recommendation, would do just as good a job. 
The worm is caused by water getting trapped under the clear coat and staining the alloy. It’s a simple case of removing the clear coat and polishing the stain til it’s gone, then re-clear coating the entire wheel. Incidentally, the worm was located in exactly the same place as yours. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, numskull said:

Hmmm. I’ve never had to have them fully refurbed as damage is localised. 
I’ve no idea where you’re located (it’s a good idea to add that info to your profile; helps in cases like this!) but i use a local mobile guy. His business is called Wheel Doctor, but I’m sure any mobile refurb Co with good reviews or, better still, a personal recommendation, would do just as good a job. 
The worm is caused by water getting trapped under the clear coat and staining the alloy. It’s a simple case of removing the clear coat and polishing the stain til it’s gone, then re-clear coating the entire wheel. Incidentally, the worm was located in exactly the same place as yours. 

Thank you for all the information, that's helpful. I've asked a local guy already and he said it needs a full diamond cut.

I'm by North London. I see there's an Essex wheel doctor.

I asked Maxpowder and they want close to £500.

4 hours ago, ChaybobbTidbit said:

he said it needs a full diamond cut.

Yeah…. ‘course it does… not. 🙄 Is there any rim damage on any of them? 
Here you go. This is one Alan refurbed about 18m ago. It had the same issue you’ve got and now it don’t! Needs a full diamond cut… sheesh.

AD2B2ADE-EBE1-4331-B9E9-76AE2F6F5AE7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2023 at 16:19, toot said:

It is not removed by most unless wheels stripped back to alloy so all the lacquer / coating is removed.

Often it is just a case of 'out of sight out of mind'. 

Powder coating requires stripping back to bare alloy.

• Thanks 1

On 15/07/2023 at 16:46, numskull said:

Yeah…. ‘course it does… not. 🙄 Is there any rim damage on any of them? 
Here you go. This is one Alan refurbed about 18m ago. It had the same issue you’ve got and now it don’t! Needs a full diamond cut… sheesh.

AD2B2ADE-EBE1-4331-B9E9-76AE2F6F5AE7.jpeg

Thanks, guess the answer is to find more local people to have a look, I don't have rim damage as far as I know, just similar type of lacquer peeling on the outer edge.