Corrosion on octavia estate tailgate

Its great to see skoda repairing the rust on the tailgates. However I had the rust repaired under the tailgate handle, it was a good repair until a year later when the rust came back due to the handle rubbing against the paintwork, a gasket would solve the problem, but skoda are not interested and if you have had the tialgate repaired once it is no longer skoda uks problem but the problem of the garage that did the repair.

Hmm. I noticed a bubbling in the paint just above the handle on the tailgate...and now the paint has flaked away and left a lovely rust spot. My car's done 92k, and is 6 years old. I thought the paint warranty was only 3 years, but from other posts it seems Skoda are repairing cars which would be out of warranty. Am I likely to get any joy when it goes in for service next week??:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Mine was in for service this week, so the dealer has had a look and admits the corrosion looks odd...he knew that there had been problems that others have described just below the window glass, but not where mine is, just above the boot handle, as if the corrosion has started under it and crept out. I have emailed some photos to them and they are sending them on to Skoda Uk for a decision to be made. So I'll wait and see, but hope that it's covered under some warranty. The stone chips that I have on the front have no signs of corrosion at all, so for the boot to rust like this is frustrating:(

Hoddhead... thats exactly the fault on mine.

Still havn't got round to taking it to the dealers though.

I haven't heard anything back yet, but will let you know what happens.

Same problem with my '03 elegence estate, rust under window and around boot handle. It was like it when I bought it a couple of months ago - took it to Skoda garage in Newbury... no probs, booked it in straight away... all shiney now - they smashed the window out, respryed the tailgate and fitted new glass with a bigger gap underneath it. See how long it lasts!

The Roomster they gave me for the week was ****e tho!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have an '04 Octavia Estate and noted some bubbling and corrosion under the rear wiper, and either side of the handle cover. I was annoyed, but did nothing until reading this post...

I took my car to the Southampton dealer today, and they checked it (one of their warranty bods was on site) before saying that they would contact me soon to take the car in and fix the rust before giving the whole tailgate a respray....FOR FREE.

The 10 year corrosion warranty is worth a fortune in this instance. The only cosmetic issue on my car will soon be a distant memory, and I can concentrate with making the rest of it look a bit better!!

Thanks for the info.....

mine has just started to rust under the window on a 51 plate

• 1 month later...

The precident has been set...

Following on from my previous reply...

I took my '04 Octavia to the local dealer and presented it to them for a warranty repair. They looked at the rust in the tailgate and said that this was covered by the anti-corrosion/perforation warranty. They also stated (when I picked it up) that the issue had been caused by poor coating of the metal which allowed the corrosion to develop.

Fully stripped and re-sprayed tailgate with new badges etc...cost...NOTHING.

Picture attached for anyone who needs an example of what was repaired for their own dealer to look at.

skoda rust.jpg

Good luck,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi I have a small rust bubble starting to appear just underneath the handle of the tailgate on my 2000 Octavia estate. The bodywork is otherwise in excellent condition and the car does have a full main dealer service history. Does anybody out there know if it is worth approaching the dealer under the terms or the original warranty?

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Briskoda for this valuable information

I took my Land K estate 03 modle in for inspection and the garage got authorisation from skoda on this

the garage said they had done lots of them ans was a naionwide problem on estates and hatches

unfortunely the garage used a bodyshop and the tailgate is a couple of milimeters out and is slightly different feel when i close it but they will see if they can move it over a mm to help with this .

my biggest problem is that the bodyshop uses a local windscreen fitting company to take the rear screen out and when fitting it back in (sometimes they smash totally) they have left a 1 inch scratch on the inside of the glass on the darkened filmed edge of the screen and is going back to them for inspection (they have all ready scratched some of the beigh plastic trim on the inside but i probably can live with that .

what do you recomend i do

insist on a new rear screen being fitted ?

ask for a compensation to live with the scratch eg

• 1 month later...

I can't see a scratch on the inside of the screen making much value difference to a 7 year old car when you sell it...

I'd go for compo first, if not they fix it or you go to trading standards.

Thanks to Briskoda for this valuable information

I took my Land K estate 03 modle in for inspection and the garage got authorisation from skoda on this

the garage said they had done lots of them ans was a naionwide problem on estates and hatches

unfortunely the garage used a bodyshop and the tailgate is a couple of milimeters out and is slightly different feel when i close it but they will see if they can move it over a mm to help with this .

my biggest problem is that the bodyshop uses a local windscreen fitting company to take the rear screen out and when fitting it back in (sometimes they smash totally) they have left a 1 inch scratch on the inside of the glass on the darkened filmed edge of the screen and is going back to them for inspection (they have all ready scratched some of the beigh plastic trim on the inside but i probably can live with that .

what do you recomend i do

insist on a new rear screen being fitted ?

ask for a compensation to live with the scratch eg

• 1 month later...

2004 mk1 Octavia Estate. I noticed rust staining under the bottom of the glass in the rear tailgate and rust under each end of the handle strip. Took it to local dealer and it was done under rust guarantee. 4 weeks later rust back under the handle bottom edges. Took it back and its had the whole tailgate resprayed again. This time thay have rubed down the contact points of the handle where it touches the tailgate. Hope this cures it.

If you are worried about the handle rubbing again, due to not having a rubber gasket, I can think of a solution. Take the handle off and clean the plastic where it touches the car with solvent. Very lightly (you don't want to take the paint off, best wait a month after it's painted too) wipe over the area on the tailgate it contacts with a clean cloth damp with thinners/solvent.

Then put it together with a thin coating (if it's thick it will squidge out) on the plastic piece of the Areldite Prescision or other epoxy very good quality 2 part glue, following their instructions. Just nip the screws up, if you tighten fully you'll squidge all the glue out.

Leave it for a day, then come back and tighten up (don't overtighten and snap something, it's a plastic part....) and you are done. The plastic is now bonded to the tailgate and shouldn't be able to move around, thus fixing the problem once and for all.

Greg.

Mine (2001) has just gone in for rust on the tailgate..... I think the tailgate looks like it might have already been resprayed (but it must before my ownership - have had the car for the last 3 years-ish).

I thought I had read on here, that once Skoda have done a warranty repair then they wash their hands of any subsequent warranty work on that area.

I have just noticed tonight bubbling in the paintwork on my 51 plate Octavia, just below the tailgate window under the wiper. The same as many people on this forum have already described/shown. This is a major disappointment, seeing I have owned the car for just over 6 years (bought as ex-demo from dealer) and the only problem I can report in that time is the coil-packs. To add more frustration, it's only done 38k, so I thought I had plenty of life in it yet.

It seems like I might be able to get this fixed under the Skoda warrenty. Has anyone else had a similar aged Octavia fixed under the warrenty and if so, is it best to talk to Skoda direct or find a dealer. (Local dealer in Basingstoke 'Jacksons' and original purchase dealer 'Derek Warwick' in Southampton have long since ceased trading). Anu help or advice would be appreciated.

I've added a picture, which will hopefully upload.

20819.attach

Just take the car to your nearest Skoda bodyshop and they will photograph the areas of concern. Skoda will then accept a warranty claim and then car will get booked in.

In my case it took over a month for Skoda to accept the claim and my local dealer (actually mine has gone to a VW bodyshop) to book me in (the delay was at the skoda end).

I have finally had mine sorted (well a little while ago) - I took photos and emailed my dealer who sent them onto Skoda UK. All sorted and I even got new badges as the Skoda one had also started to blemish. Took a while, but it was definitely covered by the corrosion warranty, even though the car is almost 7 years old now.

If I could only sort out the missing power now....:confused:

Do you have the car going into 'limp home' mode and struggling to accelerate and do over 70mph? If so likely turbo overboost from stuck vanes or faulty control system, do a search or PM me. It's common, just finished one last night (turbo VNT mechanism rebuild, it was seized solid).

Greg.

I have finally had mine sorted (well a little while ago) - I took photos and emailed my dealer who sent them onto Skoda UK. All sorted and I even got new badges as the Skoda one had also started to blemish. Took a while, but it was definitely covered by the corrosion warranty, even though the car is almost 7 years old now.

If I could only sort out the missing power now....:confused: