Octavia or Superb?

Afternoon all, looking to get back into a Skoda again and just debating which one.  Had our Golf R and TTS nicked after a house break in to get the keys so I am thinking either an Octavia vRS estate, around 2018/19 DSG with heated seats 

or

Superb with the 280 brake engine, fancied a Sport but seem to be rarer than hen's teeth so possibly the L&K model as either is a total sleeper.

Has anyone got one, owned both?  What are the pros and cons please?

(apologies to admins if this is the wrong place as it is two models I wasn't sure where to pop it.)

• Administrators

Currently have a 272 sportline superb. 

Surprises many. Even the odd vRS.

surprises me on a b road.

superb pros: total sleeper, massive boot, 4x4

superb cons: free slippers, barge in the twisties; fixable.

octavia vrs pros: bigger boot than class avg. plenty of them. 

octavia vrs cons: bit shouty for my likes, without the actual shout. 

sportline and vrs will be similar seating. Superb more grand tourer. Octavia still good on a b road but getting fatter each year.

if you want an extra few bags in the boot and total under the radar, a sportline superb, hard to beat.

mines a March 19 plate, sportline, DCC, canton, hatch, wbac pitching in around 23k.

DCC I was in two minds about. I still am. It’s nice popping it in comfort on the motorway. Then “sport” once into other roads, dual, a’s, b’s and back to comfort on single track.

So … 

id be happy in the vrs. I’m happy-ish in the superb. I’m probably going to swap to a meganne, or a five.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks @ColinD that is perfect.  I think I am leaning more for subtlety after the R attracted the thieves.  

Got a test drive lined up on Saturday for an 18 plate 220 sportline with the canton and winter pack.  I had an E class estate before the Golf and I rather liked a wafty barge.  I had a MKII Superb with just the 140bhp diesel and it was nippy enough and handled surprisingly well for such a large car.

No surprise I would go 280 superb. less shouty than a VRs but with plenty of go (and stop to). I've had mine 5 years and still can't think of something I like better.

You will find out when you drive it, but think carefully about the 220. I test drove a couple and its plenty quick enough, but I found that only being front wheel drive it was very very easy to unstick the front wheels turning and with acceleration. I guess you would get used to it and drive accordingly, but where is the fun in that. The 280 does have some extra horsepower, but to me its main attraction was much better grip from the 4x4. I have never managed to unstick mine and I have tried pretty hard! In many ways a 220 with 4x4 would have been ideal but sadly they don't make one.

Edited by edwards

• Administrators

I’d say the mkII superb handled b/a better than the mkIII.

the 220 will tell you enough. 

as edwards says, 4x4, even the haldex, you’re used to. I flip, because after a while it’s boring. Only so many damp junctions you can just launch from… maybe one more.

Thanks people.  Well in the end I went for a 220 Sportline hatch in business grey.  It is just too tidy to ignore and 280s are either high miles or other end of the country or more money than I (my wife) want to spend.

We have a wee Mini Cooper to razz along back roads but I suspect this will be just about perfect for me.  

• Like 1

• Administrators

It’s a good balance. Giving up next to nothin on a vrs. Retaining comfort and toys from the superb :)

you can upgrade when the prices stabilise.

Local dealer has an octy scout. 6mths ago different times, they were asking 5k more. Similar age/miles. They will still offer me less  for my superb 272… dealer games :)

enjoy the superb! Hope it stays with you a bit longer.