Wheels from the breakers yard

simsim

https://www.scbvehicledismantlers.co.uk/single-breaker/?ref=10075851

I sent SCB a message about this car.

I'm trying to find a single wheel for a spare and/or a full set for a set of winter wheels.

My current car has 205/55 R16. What do I need to know to make sure anything I get will fit my car? 

Besides looking for Mk3 Octavias and 16 inch wheels, what else can i look for to help widen my search?

My car came with a bottle of sealant and a pump. I don't like that setup. And being in Scotland I've a preference not to use summer tyres all year round.

Thanks for your help.

4 hours ago, simsim said:

What do I need to know to make sure anything I get will fit my car?

The wheel size rather than the tyre size. This will be cast or stamped into the wheels.

1 hour ago, simsim said:

So I need to remove my current wheels to see the inside and compare any wheels I am getting.

Nah, stick your mobile phone round the back of the wheels and take photos of the inside of the wheel spokes.  You're bound to be able to get some pics of the relevant numbers :nod: 

Gaz

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Nah, stick your mobile phone round the back of the wheels and take photos of the inside of the wheel spokes.  You're bound to be able to get some pics of the relevant numbers :nod: 

Gaz

Good thinking!!!

18 hours ago, Gaz said:

Gaz

Do these numbers look relevant? I've never seen these before so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be reading there. 

Can anyone make sense and tell me what I need?

Pics from the back of my rear wheel.PXL_20230725_085441341.thumb.jpg.5062fd73ef979c6bb4f59d97102cd53e.jpgPXL_20230725_085706039.thumb.jpg.65f55f5df61dd8e9bdb09b9edd8b90bd.jpg

As I zoom in on the photo's they pixellate before I can read them clearly.  As they're longer numbers, they may be the wheel reference number.

We know they're 16" wheels.  The other numbers you need are the offset (distance the rim is offset from the hub) which will start with an ET, so will look something like ET48 or similar, and the wheel width (between the rims) which will look something like 6.5J.

You'll also need the same number of studs (five I expect) and the same PCD (Pitched Circle Diameter - the size of a circle taken from the centre point of the stud holes).

Gaz

EDIT: from a quick google search:

527671420_Screenshot2023-07-25at11_34_04.thumb.jpeg.d9730397db53ce3cf485319f80d8759b.jpeg

Edited by Gaz
Added details from Google

That's very helpful!

Knowing what I'm looking at I can now see:

6.5J x 16H2ET46

I've found some Audi wheels on Facebook which match except the offset is ET50. I'm not sure if that's a problem.

Attached pic is the wheels on offer. 

received_542145161341013.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gaz said:

A useful site to see how differences affect the wheels and where they'll sit:

https://www.willtheyfit.com

50mm ET is obviously within the range that'll fit, according to Google.

Gaz

Gaz,

Thanks for all your help, it has helped a lot.
I've decided to keep searching for wheels. 5mm greater offset doesn't sound like much but I'm wary and don't need to rush into anything. I don't want them rubbing on the inside against things that should not be rubbed!

• Like 1