Leaking Windscreen - Upper trim replaceable?

So, after sitting in the car at some traffic lights this morning in the peeing down rain, I noticed that some drips of water were slowly making their way down the inside of my windscreen near the passenger A-pillar.
A quick bit of investigation later and I can see there's a about a 10mm chunk of the rubber seal that sits above & behind the top of windscreen missing, right at the edge of the glass and exactly where the water seemded to be making its way in.
I assume it's simply got old and brittle (like the best of us!) and come away during a pressure wash or something.

I know you can remove the thicker windscreen trim on each side, but I'm not sure if the upper one is a replaceable part without removing the whole windscreen?
If it is, does anyone know the part number?

If not, I think I'll have to clean it all up as best as possible then crack out the black sealant!

That is not the windscreen seal but a seal to close the gap between the trim and the glass and/or body.

The screen is bonded to the bodyshell, if water is getting through it needs removing with a hot wire and rebonding after removing all traces of the old sealant, that is very time consuming and most windscreen companies will only do what they can in a certain amount of time which often compromises the new sealant.

Do you have a panoramic sunroof?

Edited by J.R.

Hmm.. maybe it's the actual bond that's gone then and it might indeed need a trip to Autoglass or whatever.
The 'stixall' tube for £6 is looking mighty tempting and hundreds of pounds cheaper though. 😄

I don't have a sunroof, the scuttle drains are clear and I regularly whip the arch liners out to clear out the crap there too.
I checked all of that when I noticed I was getting a lot of condensation forming on the inside a few months back, so it's possibly been on its way out for a while.

Had similar on our old Fabia and Octavia 2 Estate - I simply re sealed over the top of the original using a polysuphide sealant (I think it was Tiger Seal)...

You can probably check that your assumption is correct by using electrical tape as a temporary 'seal' between screen and body and seeing if that resolves the issue - if it does then you can re-seal properly

• Like 2

My issue was the windscreen wasn’t bonded 

suddenly started getting wet carpets 

I discovered the water was running down inside of the A pillar trim through dash in to footwell

IMG_1173.png

IMG_1172.png

Edited by Snapper1725
  • Like 1