Rear Wiper - Operating without being switched.

I noticed yesterday that my rear wiper did a sweep without me operating the switch on the steering column. Only spotted it once so I assumed I must have knocked the switch without realising. Then this morning on the way to work it did it twice more. (It was raining on both occasions)

The front wipers are set to Auto so only operate when rain is detected on the screen and this works as intended.

Does the rear wiper also have an Auto function that I'm not aware of?

Both Kodiaq’s I’ve had had the same random rear wipe when it was raining, and more often than not, wiping a dry rear screen resulting in a screech.

The only way to stop the rear wiper doing this on the Kodiaq is to untick the rear wipe when reversing option. It just means you have to flick the rear wipe as and when required. I would imagine the Superb is similar.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gammyleg said:

Does the rear wiper also have an Auto function that I'm not aware of?

Taken from an Octavia owners manual but I expect the same behaviour on a Superb:

image.png.6d76dd81246b57a0aa174356222d88f5.png

Hi, My Superb does this but only because it's raining I have the front wipers on auto - AND I put the car in reverse. If the car is not in reverse, the rear wiper does not move (unless I switch it on) - from what I know there is no auto option for the rear wiper. I'll have to assume you are posting this because you were not in reverse when it was raining?

Sorry is this does not help - just thought I'd add that this is normal if it's raining and your going backwards.

Jay.

Sorry Langers2K - You beat me to it - your post is saying the same as me.

Edited by jakk

11 minutes ago, jakk said:

Sorry Langers2K - You beat me to it - your post is saying the same as me.

Not quite, the manual suggests that if the front wipers are in constant use, the rear will occasionally sweep across. This can be enabled/disabled in the settings.

If I remember, this might be an estate only function as they get much more water on the rear screen than a hatch.

I have had the function and disabled in on a MK2 Estate and also a Yeti which with a vertical screen can't be classed as an Estate.

I have had some strange things happen when waiting at traffic lights but can't recall the details, I think it switches the wipers from constant to intermittent, I'm sure they have stopped  but also sometimes done one sweep when I thought they were off.

2 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Not quite, the manual suggests that if the front wipers are in constant use, the rear will occasionally sweep across. This can be enabled/disabled in the settings.

If I remember, this might be an estate only function as they get much more water on the rear screen than a hatch.

Thanks for explaining this, I have driven on Mway's with front wiper on and rear does not sweep, This is what I prefer. I drive a hatch, so as you say, this must be estate only setting. Thanks

I know about the reverse gear sweep, and it does this whenever circumstances dictate.

The random rear screen sweep when in Drive is a new one, having never witnessed it previously in my 3 years of ownership.

I had the same symptoms and Kenny R's post was the solution. Why reverse auto wipe also impacts occasional wipe when in drive isn't immediately obvious to me, but it worked nonetheless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JBD1974 said:

I had the same symptoms and Kenny R's post was the solution. Why reverse auto wipe also impacts occasional wipe when in drive isn't immediately obvious to me, but it worked nonetheless.

That's what I'll do as well. If I don't post on this again, you can assume it's fixed. Thanks for all the suggestions.